Thrixopelma ockerti Q

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've read that they were somhow labelled as tree spiders, but was told to keep them in a terrestrial set up. I have a sling and sometimes it reminds me of an Avic, some others a Grammostola sp. but I never was sure of what lifestyle correctly describes this gorgeous animal. Any info?

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got this from some website a while ago, its about t.pruriens which is very comparable to t.ockerti! Awesome t btw. I just love that pink butt! hehehe :)

Housing and Husbandry:
I keep the slings in a large vile, half filled with peat or peat, coco mix for humidity. At the 2 inch mark, I graduate them to a 5 inch deli cup with a shallow water dish. At 3 ½ to 4, they get to move into a medium Kritter Keeper where they will live the rest of their lives. At that point, they get a larger water dish and a piece of cork bark and a buried plastic cup for a hide. Considering the origin of this species, all of mine have done very well in a relatively dry Kritter Keepers with around 50% humidity. I keep mine on 100% peat moss and keep the water dish full with a light over run of the water every other watering to keep the sub from getting too hard. This species is a hardy species that, in my opinion, would make this a good beginner species to keep. Not that I’ve tried but like the P. murinus, if you make a care mistake with the pruriens, they seem to thrive just fine without any signs that they’ve been neglected. Other standard, well known substrates that can be kept dry, easily, are fine. Being opportunistic borrowers, they will readily take to a plastic cup, clay pot or cork bark hide even though they seem to reside just outside the entrance most of the time making them visible and able to enjoy.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, it's a tie 1-1 opportunistic burrower vs arboreal.

I think I will just make a mixed set up for both.:rolleyes:

Hey, did'nt I read that they were communal????:eek: :)

Dreamslave

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From what i've seen so far its been more terrestrial than anything else even though it had the possibility to burrow or climb...

carl

Arachnopeon
in my experience they are terrestrial t's but they tend to lead a semi arboreal lifestyle at times.. when it was a bit smaller it used to use a flowerpot as a hide but when she got a bit bigger, she completely abandoned it.

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sounds like a very interesting species. It could be worthwhile to get two and set one up in an arboreal enclosure and one in a terrestrial enclosure and see how each one takes to its environment.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since they are so gorgeous, I will acquire another of the opposite sex and put the offspring in a special enclosure: A tree in the middle and lots of burrows around. If they are enough of them, I will be able to point the tendecies they have and if it changes with age!

Øyvind

Arachnopeon
I've had my T ockerti for 10 months now, 2cm ls when i aquired it and around 10 at this moment. As a sling it stayed on the ground at all times, no burrowing whatsoever, but in juvi/sub-adult stages it has been more of a climber. At this moment i keep it in a semi-arboral setup and it seems too thrive:)