Thoughts on feeding new mum

Athenaandtam

Arachnopeon
i have a new brood of little Liocheles waigiensis and was wanting to hear your thoughts on feeding her while they are on her back. Experiences really, I've read all the stuff that says she will eat the scorplings etc. My doubts though stem from having been a mum myself and knowing the energy required to have given birth etc. I just personally don't feel it makes sense to starve her during this period or dehydrate her by not providing a meal. Anyway I'd love to hear your experiences.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Make sure humidity stays high but don't feed her until the young leave her back.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hmmm, interesting. Well, from your experience being a mum, whenever you got hungry, were you tempted to eat your baby? HAHA, just kidding!, I think when scorpions and other inverts eat their babies, there is probably something extremely stressful going on that we can't really relate to very well. I think that if you have conditions close to normal for the species, it takes a lot for them to "lose it" and it and eat the babies. It's kind of odd, I've had things that seem to eat their babies over almost nothing that I can understand. Then it seems there is almost nothing you can to do cause them to eat their babies, I just don't get it sometimes.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I would not feed her anything until the babies leave her back. She will be fine they can go long periods without food. As stated above it is usually some very extreme circumstance that would cause a mother to eat the babies. In fact I would make a wager that it happens a lot more often in captivity than in the wild.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
It's best to wait and feed her after the babies have left her back and ready to eat for themselves. I've tried feeding a few species while the babies were still on mama's back - only to find less babies on her back
some of the babies got eaten due to the fact mama was eating and a couple babies tried getting a bite also only to become treats for mama also. I've never tried feeding another mama while carrying babies since.