This really starts to bug me out!

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Ok. Plain and simply - my pimp wants to climb the glass a little bit too often!

Most nights when the lights go out (very dim and shining over from above the tarantulas tank) and the heat mat loses its heat the imperator goes for a walk. It seems it wants some kind of treadmill action since it leans up the glass and starts moving its leg in a futile attempt to get up and clonking on the glass with it's claws. That can't be normal!

Humidity: above 65%
Tank size: 1'x1'x1' (ft right?? Well, I mean ft anyway)
Stuff: Yep the tank is stuffed! Full with stuff - a hide, a water dish, a plant hanging down into it, and a pet rock and two twigs.
I use vermiculite 100%, 3-4 inches deep

I think it's a female and there is a slight chance she is pregnant.

Pleeeeaaaaaasssseeee anybody know why my pimp is doing that??
Is the tank too small? Is it too dry? It can't be hungry because it's uber fat!Does it miss playmates? Is it stressed out (from me pouring some water on to the substrate every now and then)? Does the lid have the wrong color (black) or does it simply not like it that I don't play any loud music??? I am completely at a loss what it could be. If it was a ground dwelling tarantula climbing the glass I'd have said it is stressed out - but do imperators do the same? I just can't imagine what is wrong! :(

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
is it new? if so they tend to do that, they soon settle down when they realise they can't escape.

also, aim for humidity 80%+

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its nothing to be worried many scorpions will spend hours happily scrabbling against walls, male scorpions in particular will do this alot since they are attempting to go out and find a mate. They will often do it during certain periods of the year (I've noticed this especially with H. arizonensis), or will often stop completely after they've spent a while in the vivarium. Its not generally going to be an indicator of displeasure on the scorpions part, though 20 scorpions doing it all night long in your room can get annoying :mad: .

King_Baboon_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You say she is on 100% vermiculite?

I have heard that when you keep scorpions on vermiculite, the scorpion tends to get a golden sheen from the vermiculite dust. The vermiculite itself can even stick itself to the exoskeleton. Once stuck it is impossible to get off the scorpion (only way is if the scorpion molts). This does not harm the scorpion but does make them look less attractive. It is even worse if the scorpion is an adult and won't molt again.

I would say to change the substrate for some good old cheap Spagnum Moss Peat 100%. This will hold moisture very well and increase humidity aswell as allowing your emp to burrow. Ask any scorpion keeper and 90% will say this is the prefered substrate.

All in all it will lead to a happier "Pimp" :razz: :razz:

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Yeah, I give you the thumbs up about the substrate! I will soon enough change it, I have it already marked out in my event calendar...

That's really annoying that glass climbing... I think I will also asap put her (?) into a larger tank. What's the minimum height required for a pimp tank anyway? I'll have to custom build it for my bookshelf.

Ok, I will also increase the humidity to 80%+. Why i've kept it a bit lower is mainly because I'm completely freaked out about mould! I guess I'll have to check the tank even more thorrow then in the future. Thanks for your help all!

King_Baboon_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you are changing the size of the tank you could go for a 2' x 1' x 1'. If you were going for the next size up then you could keep a group of P. imps maybe 4.

Just make sure that they are same size scorps and you have loads of hides. They will probably huddle and hide all together but if they fall out then they can go to seperate hiding spots.

If you change to peat moss you will have good humidity and also mold shouldn't be a problem because of the high acidity. I have never had any mold growth yet and I keep mine and my T's at 80%.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Hey thanks alot for mentioning the acidity! I've never understood why ppl said they had no mould in peat moss eventho its organic! I'll go for that as soon as I have the money for it (I know it's cheap, but I am really really poor right now :D )

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My little guy climbs the sides from time to time. I don't know what the dementions of my tank are, but it's a 10 gallon, probably 1'x1'x2'. He hasn't escaped yet. :)

You probably do need something bigger, especially if you plan to breed him eventually. He'll need to live up to that "pimp status". ;)

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my emp tries to climb the tank all the time. he just slowly works his way around the whole tank doing it. i think it's kind of fun to watch for some reason.