This may be a dumb question but are there any OWT that are docile?

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
From what i gather there are very few old worlds that would be classed as docile. In saying that even in species generally agressive there are individuals with a slightly better temperament. I have a mature female Selenotypus plumipes who is generally pretty good, i can handle her without her doing a runner or rearing up but have met a few not so nice plumipes aswell. Selenotypus sp2 are in general a nice docile spider, not sure if you can get them in the states, both the girls i had were very calm but hardly ever venture from the burrow

ImDeadly

Arachnosquire
soooo.........none. They have fangs for a reason. Its a risk we take. Don't poke em with a stick and only handle any T when necessary. Simple?

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agree with what's been said and to reiterate, it often depends more on the individual than the species. There are a few genera that, on average, may be more docile than others. But you have to ask yourself, does the risk outweigh the benefits? OWers have potent venom, enough to ruin whatever plans you have for the day or even week in some cases. A T that seems for all purposes to be calm and docile, may bite with no warning (OW or NW). You probably won't be able to react fast enough to avoid a bite if it comes and you may wind up with a dead T in addition to the bite (jerk your hand, T goes flying). So now where are you? That's some of the risk.

The benefits? Um....not many. It's gratifying and exhilarating for you....and that's pretty much it.

Point is, there isn't much room for error with OWers. If you are keen on holding Ts, your best bet is with the usual NW suspects. At least if you get bit, the venom effects won't be too serious.

All that said, you never mentioned anything about handling (I just tailored my response to that). If you're looking for OW Ts that are less defensive and will be easier to manage come unpacking/rehousing/maintainance/packing time, there are a few but mostly it's based on the individual. I think the biggest thing is to ensure the T (whatever species) has a burrow to retreat to and feel safe. Makes it much easier to work with them.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I dont know why anyone would try to handle a Old worlder lol!!!... hold a Curly hair ,man

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My pokies are my most "docile" OW T's. I've not even attempted to hold any OW T due to my sanity, and due to their venom.

pavel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So the long and short of it, Julia, is "No".

My answer is if your looking for something docile you can handle and have fun with go buy a lizard or a hamster :D-Chris
I take it you haven't handled a hamster lately, Chris? :sarcasm: Bitey little s.o.b.s. Have care with a number of lizards as well. For example, Tokay geckos and adult (particularly male) iquanas have a well earned rep for being anything but handable. ;) heh

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I tried to handle my King baboon... it started hissing all of the sudden after being calm & stood up in a threat pose:eek:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I would never handle a Pokie intentionally, they are just too skittish. I have however handled my Monocentropus balfouri tarantulas a few times.

However, most people say that this is the response they get:

I rarely saw the above scene, I find them peacefully cooperative.

k2power

Arachnoknight
That one picture looked like a Hysteracrates gigas. I have one and I haven't seen it threaten me since I bought it over a year ago. I wouldn't hold it obviously, but I have started to find myself treating it like my L. parahybana more in terms of fewer precautions when dealing with it rather than being more cautious when dealing with my OBTs. It is probably 6-7 inches now and doesn't seem all that aggressive. I guess the better question would be, what are some Old World species that are less likely to bite when compared to others. I know all will bite but you would probably be willing to stick you bare hand in a cage to change water with some species rather than an OBT. I have seen a few species mentioned. Anyone want to attempt a more comprehensive list of less aggressive Old World species?

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I'm not recommending this to anyone, but I do handle most of my pokies. Mainly my female P. miranda and P. subfusca.

My subfusca and I like to watch television together and play video games with her on my lap, arm, or crawling somewhere on me.

This is not to say that I don't respect the pokies. I respect all OW T's. I always check their temperment for the day before handling. I've found that my male P. Miranda is very tempermental, I've never been able to hold him, I give him a few good pets on his rump, but that's as far as it gets.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the only DOCILE ow t is one right out of the fridge for rehousing lol... (bad joke?):clown: