This is why i do not trust pet stores..

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wrote a comment telling them to delete the video, but the comment is withheld for approval. I agree, terrible setup, way more crap you don't need which could harm the T.

Osmo

Arachnosquire
Only thing i saw that i wouldnt want if it was free is the lighting. the rest is useful.. but not necessary. Esp for a rose hair.

Plus they used way to little sub lol

Giomanach

Arachnopeon
I wrote a comment telling them to delete the video, but the comment is withheld for approval. I agree, terrible setup, way more crap you don't need which could harm the T.
y i tried the same thing, won't work, i gave it a dislike, nothing more we can do.

Gr Gio.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What a mess...

Just incase new T owners see this video:

1. Enclosure WAY too tall
2. WAY too little substrate
3. DO NOT use a sponge!!!
4. All that fake cactus crap isn't necessary and could harm your T
5. DO NOT use a heat pad!!!
6. Lighting is NOT necessary... especially with a timer

I'm not a YouTube member otherwise I'd also down vote with you all.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
yeah I agree with you all, what a poor setup just hope the T is alright.

dunsparce

Arachnopeon
Fortunately, it seems like the video has a bad enough like:dislike ratio that new tarantula owners will think twice before accepting the advice presented in this video

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Fortunately, it seems like the video has a bad enough like:dislike ratio that new tarantula owners will think twice before accepting the advice presented in this video
That's what I always look for. Gotta have that 98% positive ratio!

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Oh wow, I guess I have to go get a sponge for my enclosures before all my T's drown!!! And I should dampen my G. rosea's substrate to huh?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has there been a report of a single T drowning in a water dish? And I mean one single case as I have never heard or seen one, yet somehow this comes up from time to time. Ts aren't that stupid when it comes to water.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Has there been a report of a single T drowning in a water dish? And I mean one single case as I have never heard or seen one, yet somehow this comes up from time to time. Ts aren't that stupid when it comes to water.
There was a thread a year or two ago regarding an Avicularia (I believe) sling that drowned (although I don't believe drowning is really the correct term when it comes to tarantulas) in a water dish. I will see if I can dig it up.

Also, it is possible that the sling was dying and wound up in the water dish and the owner just assumed it had "drowned", but just because you mentioned this I thought I would bring it up.

Last edited:

Tarac

Arachnolord
I haven't had a tarantula specifically drown in a water dish before but I have had many caterpillars drown in the water used to keep their host plant hydrated. Somehow they just crawl down the stem and always a few manage to get past whatever attempt at a barrier I make and then they get to the water and apparently think they will just swim to the next branch or something. I initially thought the same thing and didn't even bother with a barrier until I lost half of some uncommon Sphingids I was rearing this way- they hit water, so they should know to turn around rather than venture out into the water basin. But alas, they do not. Mind you this is thousands of caterpillars over many years and probably less than 1-5% that make the fateful journey to the water cup with a little Saran Wrap contraceptive (like the good old days, hehe). But it is still a small percentage every single brood despite my best efforts to prevent the loss.

It's conceivable that a tarantula could get a little too far in and get stuck by the water tension and drown or perhaps fall in by accident. Spiders definitely drown in my pool and koi pond. Not worth the risk IMO, I will keep misting until they are big enough to span a reasonably sized water basin.

Clearly a bacteria-covered, mold-riddled, vector-harboring sponge is the way to go. Didn't you see the video? ;)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm talking about adults, not slings. I realize a sling could get caught in a large dish. The video was setting up the enclosure for an adult and I have yet to hear anything about an adult T drowning in a water dish.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
I've never heard of an adult T drowning in water eather.

LadySharon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For Halloween I put up a few of my spiders on display - including a A. versicolor who has decided she(I hope) perferes being out. I noticed that she was out of water so filled her bowl. Next thing I know she was mostly in the bowl (a 2 oz delicup) drinking... leggs and part of her ab sticking up. To the layman she may have looked like she was drowning... but I've seen my T's do that before. (I should have got a pic)
I've seen an avac sit IN the water before - made me think their book lungs were in the water- but under closer inspection they weren't.

Never heard of an Adult/ large juvi drowining.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I'm talking about adults, not slings. I realize a sling could get caught in a large dish. The video was setting up the enclosure for an adult and I have yet to hear anything about an adult T drowning in a water dish.
The only way I could see an adult tarantula potentially drowning would be if it was already sick/dying and weak, and somehow wound up in the water dish, but yeah, I haven't heard anything about an adult drowning.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Ive seen my overly fat, ~2.75"DLS L. difficilis clinging to the rim with his back three pairs of legs, lowering his whole body into the dish to drink from the bottom. Diameter of the dish was ~3.5". I tried really hard to find the camera for just this reason, but with no luck.