Thinking of getting some tarantulas

silvertears

Arachnopeon
What is a good beginner tarantula but not a commonly available one? I don't want a rose hair, or pink toe.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Green bottle blues are gorgeous, pretty hardy, and awesome eaters. 2 inch ones go for around 60

silvertears

Arachnopeon
They are really pretty. Idc about price, I can save for the tarantula, longer it takes to get it the more I can study on the care.

sweetypie

Arachnoknight
Green bottle blues are gorgeous, pretty hardy, and awesome eaters.
I second the GBB.
A Brachypelma vagans and a Lasiodora parahybana are my best eaters besides the GBB.
A small B. vagans and LPs are pretty easy to get at a low price and they grow quickly.
B.vag and LP slings are about 1/2 of the price of the GBB currently (as I've seen).
All 3 if you get addicted!

silvertears

Arachnopeon
I second the GBB.
A Brachypelma vagans and a Lasiodora parahybana are my best eaters besides the GBB.
A small B. vagans and LPs are pretty easy to get at a low price and they grow quickly.
B.vag and LP slings are about 1/2 of the price of the GBB currently (as I've seen).
All 3 if you get addicted!
Kinda wierd you suggest LP, I was curious if there were any bird eatters that would be good. I might start off with that and then get the others. I plan on doing a rack of spiders and tarantulas so I plan on getting addicted.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
GBB would be an awesome choice, as well as A. geniculata. Also, how do you feel about Brachypelma? B. smithi, B. emilia, B. boehmei, and even the more common B. albopilosum are all great-looking and easy to care for. I'd get a juvenile, though, if you're in a hurry to have a big spider...they take a while to get their adult colors if you acquire them as babies.

silvertears

Arachnopeon
GBB would be an awesome choice, as well as A. geniculata. Also, how do you feel about Brachypelma? B. smithi, B. emilia, B. boehmei, and even the more common B. albopilosum are all great-looking and easy to care for. I'd get a juvenile, though, if you're in a hurry to have a big spider...they take a while to get their adult colors if you acquire them as babies.
I would start off as juveniles, unless I can't get a hold of them. They all are nice looking. As stated earlier I will end up doing a rack of them(specially modified so they can't get out) for them and scorpion so I plan on getting quite a few different types.
Edit: If you suggest a type you own may I see pics of it and it's enclosure if you don't wish to show them off that is fine.

Last edited:

synyster

Arachnobaron
Another vote for GBB. They are just beautiful and hardy! Really skittish though but lightning fast eaters...

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If money isn't an issue, I say go ahead and get a few different ones now if you can. You'll save on shipping, if you can find a seller with several spiders you want. Otherwise, pick the one you find most appealing, start with that, and save up for the rest.

silvertears

Arachnopeon
Also I do not plan on handling any of them so that is not a factor I want mainly display's. Any suggesting to good online dealers? It will be probably a month in till I get any(so I can get the money and rack). So in till then I will be looking up care for these guys.
Edit:
So I am pretty sure I will start off with the following:
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Lasiodora parahybana, how does that sound?

Last edited:

Drakk

Arachnosquire
C. fasciatum? those guys are cool if not handling...itchy itchy...
i second GBB and LP there great...the the LP again itchy itchy...LP is also a fast grower.
You dont want pinktoes in general or just not Avic Avic?
G pulchra? never though a "black spider" could look so cool, slow grower tho.
Euathlus sp blue? i love mine...slow to grow tho but interesting behaviors.
For sheer display you cant beat some of the more aggressive spideys but for a beginner i cant recommend....as i don't keep them in mass yet lol.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've been thinking about getting Acanthoscurria ferina lately and they seem fairly obscure. I don't know why a beginner wouldn't be able to raise one. Anastasia has the best picture of one that I've seen on her website. I think Thrixopemla ockerti and Paraphysa parvula look cool and aren't big in the hobby yet either.

silvertears

Arachnopeon
C. fasciatum? those guys are cool if not handling...itchy itchy...
i second GBB and LP there great...the the LP again itchy itchy...LP is also a fast grower.
You dont want pinktoes in general or just not Avic Avic?
G pulchra? never though a "black spider" could look so cool, slow grower tho.
Euathlus sp blue? i love mine...slow to grow tho but interesting behaviors.
For sheer display you cant beat some of the more aggressive spideys but for a beginner i cant recommend....as i don't keep them in mass yet lol.
I don't want to start with pink toe or rose hair. I probably will get some later on. Growth rate is not an issue.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You have to have Avic somewhere in there ? @ least a Versi !

silvertears

Arachnopeon
Maybe after I get use to my first batch of t's I get I will get a Avicularia diversipes and Avicularia versicolor.
Edit: you have to remember for these guys, chances are my father will not know about them so it will be interesting to do this.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I vote GBB as well
I love gbbs - seeing them make thier webbing is awesome to, genics are like hyenas they eat anything and everything! I would say top 3 places are swifts inverts, ken the bug guy, pet center usa and pretty much any ad on the classified in which the seller has good reviews + lots of posts

oh and a good starting arboreal are versi albeit they are kinda fragile

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
id like to throw out Grammostola pulchripes. a nice looking spider that gets large and is very docile. mine are great eaters and show themselves a bit.

silvertears

Arachnopeon
id like to throw out Grammostola pulchripes. a nice looking spider that gets large and is very docile. mine are great eaters and show themselves a bit.
They are pretty. If the site I am looking at has them when I go to get my T's I will probably add it to the list.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

How are Ephebopus cyanognathus?