Thinking of anew snake but dont know sp.

HESSWA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am looking for a new sp. of snake to own but cant decide I have had a Ball python and a Milk snake before .

I am looking for one who

eats well
Isnt a pet hole
attractive
under $300 (preferably $200 and under)

Thanks.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like almost every snake under the sun to best honest.

But with your price range maybe...

Cave rat or blue beauty?(Orthiophis taeniura ridleyi and O. t. 'Blue Beauty') Big beautiful snakes that get up to 8 feet. Cave rat lives in caves and snatches bats as they fly past.

Mexican lined pinesnake?(Pituophis lineaticollis). Way cool, also get big.(thats assuming you want something big).

HESSWA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Your right I should have been more specific it also has to

be under 8ft
not insanley hard to take care off
not crazy aggresive
not venomous
easy to obtain or for sale often

I was thinking
any king or milk snake
green tree python
red tail boa
ball python
kenyan sand boa
rough or smooth green snake
jungle carpet python
any more suggestions would be great thanks.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's kinda strange that you're having someone else pick your snake, when it's all a matter of personal preference. With that said, I've had a lot of experience with snakes and have a few things to mention about the species you listed.

I was thinking
any king or milk snake
green tree python - generally over $300 for a CB specimen, and one of the more difficult snakes to care for
red tail boa - some localities can get pretty large
ball python - get a CB/CH baby, WC adults are a pain to get eating
kenyan sand boa - will spend most of it's time in the substrate
rough or smooth green snake - they die like crazy, all are WC. I would stay far away from these.
jungle carpet python - a little more "high-strung" than something like a ball python or red-tail boa

Just do your research.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have a western hognose, he doesn't get really big, but he's very active, beautiful, and usually fairly nice, unless its feeding time : they've got some venom if I'm not mistaken, but its nothing to really worry about.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Based on what you're looking for, I'd go for a corn snake or king snake. We've got both and our king snake is out constantly poking around looking for a way to escape. Corns are great eaters, our two are our best eaters by far. As soon as we open the lid on our adult female corn's enclosure, she's out of her hide. She seems to think that she should eat everyday, once a week apparently isn't good enough. They're also both out quite often, which is good because we can tell they're in shed when we never see them. They're really great snakes, they eat well, shed well and can be nippy, but if they're handled regularly you should have no problem. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Cassandra

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
When in doubt , go with a king snake . They more or less fit all the parameters you are looking for .

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am looking for a new sp. of snake to own but cant decide I have had a Ball python and a Milk snake before .

I am looking for one who

eats well
Isnt a pet hole
attractive
under $300 (preferably $200 and under)

Thanks.
Okay...

What do you really like about the snakes you've owned? What are you looking for in a new snake?

Personally, if I were looking for a new (non-venomous) snake, I'd go for a blood python. I don't know if they fit your criteria though. From what I understand they're very sedentary most of the time and can be very aggressive from time to time. They get fairly large (not long but heavy) so maybe they're out in that regard.

What about viper boas? Have you looked into them?

Ooh...or what about egg eating snakes? I'd love to keep one of those. That's something I'd look into if I were you (if you have a reliable source for small eggs, that is).

Or flying snakes?

Basically it's going to come down to what you're looking for. You need to get specific if you're gonna ask for opinions.

Harmony67

Arachnopeon
Dumerils boa. They are beautiful, fairly inexpensive, are only medium sized as adults, very docile, and easy to come by.

pearldrummer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would personally recommend a california king snake. Only because I own one and he is a great snake.

You should look up durango mountain king snakes they have very stunning colors. If I can ever see a nice looking one I will most likely buy it on sight.... lol

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ball python...I am partial:D . They don't get huge they also tend to be less nippy then kingsnakes mine was a real biter. Ball python morphs are comming down in price too you could get a pastel with great color for under 200.00 or even a spider or a pinstripe for a good deal if you look around. ultimately it is up to you good luck.:D

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How about the Andean milk snake (Lampropeltis getula andesiana)? A tri-color milk snake that feeds aggressively and gets quite large. This is a montane species. It doesn't require elevated humidity and is comfortable at lower temperatures than many other species. Another plus--mine has never bitten me. Cost is in the $50-100 dollar range. You should check them out!

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually Lampropeltis triangulum....know any sources for them?

How is yours? I've heard milks tend to be secretive/inactive captives...(though are fine with being handled and ready feeders)

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
We have had various snakes also, and currently have 2 Ball Pythons. I love them, they eat awesome for us (although I do know they are known for being difficult sometimes as far as eating and will often fast for long periods of time, my exotic vet can't believe mine eat as well and as often as they do lol)
What I really love about the Ball's is the options for color. There are so many morphs out there to choose from :)