Theraposa scare!!

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
so as some of the regular members know, i got a theraposa stirmi. It is a very beautiful spider and i've been wanting to hold it for a very long time. i have had a few "aggressive" tarantulas in the past but they have all been very docile! This one on the other hand is very skiddish and quick to rear up if anything touches her on the front 4 legs. So i bought some leather gloves and worked up my nerve. i stuck my hand in there and guided her towards my hand. The second she touched my glove she scampered up the glove, up my arm, up my neck and i kid you not, she stopped directly on my face over my left eye!! i was frozen with fear!!

My initial reaction was to freak out and shake her off but i couldn't do it because i didn't want to hurt her. i sat motionless trying to figure out what to do.. i was terrified that if i opened or moved my left eye she would feel the vibrations and attack it.. my fiance who was in the room freaking out was of no help she is terrified of the thing and after seeing it run up my body onto my face had her backed up standing on the couch!

so i slowly laid down on the ground, took my feather and started to touch her back legs with the best i could manage with my one eye. my depth perception was off a bit so i wasnt very sure where i was touching her with the feather.... she spun around and stuck her legs in the air!!!!!!!!!

i have a 5.5" theraposa in attack mode on my face!!! i laid still for about 5 min, which seemed like an hour. I motioned with my hands to my freaking out fiance to grab me a cup. at this point i was scared to speak. she rolled me a cup, and i slowly put it over the tarantula, got up, tilted my head foreward and she dropped to the bottom.

what a terrible experience... it took everything in me to not do what i wanted to do naturally and swat her off. had i been bitten in the eye, i am sure i would have gone blind. She is only 5-6 inches but her fangs are about a half inch long already.

so my question is, are theraposas easier to handle when they are adults? i know they can still run really fast, but will they slow down when they get fat and lazy? i know how to handle tarantulas and have had some quick ones, try and run up my arms, but they all run in bursts, which leave me time to cut them off and redirect them back towards my hands. My therapose took a sprint straight the the top, no stops, just point A to point B in a second. i love handling my T's but this one scared the living S*** out of me... i don't know if i will ever work up the nerve to handle her again.. i've never had such an unpredictable spider.

on a plus, she is a eating machine. very aggressive towards her food. She lays trip lines and the second something touches it she flies out of her hid and tackles it, she did a barrel roll once! Even tho she was stressed out she immediately ate a cricket after the whole ordeal. It was my way of saying sorry for putting her in such danger. i didn't expect her to eat for a while but she munched right down on it. So If i can't ever hold her the trade off is worth it.. would be nice if i could hold her when she is older..

... i think i need a beer....

advan

oOOo
Staff member
This is why it is not recommended to handle this species. As for the fast spider short bursts, they can run for much longer distances if they feel the need to. So don't think they can't/won't. I'm glad it ended well with no injuries on either part.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
that is a incredible story man...you are soooo lucky....since she never bit, your very lucky to have not gotten any of those hairs in your eyes....as i was reading, and you started to use your feather, i was waiting for the kicking hairs part..if you would have gotten those in your eyes...man you would have been in trouble....i got a B. vagans hair on my eyelid recently, and that was bad enough...looked like a little razorblade cut...anyways good read....anyways if you decide to hold her again, i suggest sticking one of those dog neck satelite things on your head..:)

8leglock

Arachnopeon
I hold my mm stirmi all the time. He is very docile compared to my females. I don't even like to clean my females tanks they are very aggressive. Took my mm out for Halloween to scary the little kids. He chilled out on my hand and eventually my shoulder/ chest for an hour. Not one sign of aggression not even a flick of hair. Didn't use any gloves or anything it was fun for the kids. Maybe it's me but are mature males more docile than M females?

Ps I rarely hold my T's my kid asked along with my wife for Halloween. Also glad to see your adventure ended up ok. Good luck In The future.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
all of the MM's i have had were super gentle..especially one of my P. regalis...i could have held him easier than any of my gentle species...but a MM P. irminia i had was pretty defensive....even my S. calceatum MM is pretty docile...
I hold my mm stirmi all the time. He is very docile compared to my females. I don't even like to clean my females tanks they are very aggressive. Took my mm out for Halloween to scary the little kids. He chilled out on my hand and eventually my shoulder/ chest for an hour. Not one sign of aggression not even a flick of hair. Didn't use any gloves or anything it was fun for the kids. Maybe it's me but are mature males more docile than M females?

Ps I rarely hold my T's my kid asked along with my wife for Halloween. Also glad to see your adventure ended up ok. Good luck In The future.

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
yeah, i got a few hairs on my arm, neck, and elbow. i took a hot shower and they worked themselves out luckily. must have not getten dug in very much..

man.. still a bit shaky... lol!!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well atleast you dont have any hairs bothering you, and she didnt fall or anything.....yep shaky would be a somewhat close word man......

donniedark0

chiLLLen
Arachnosupporter
Yea um. Thanks to you, I don't think I will ever ever handle any tarantula hahahaha.

Cray story man. Wowwwww

A7xConnor

Arachnosquire
Crazy story. Bravo on how you handled the situation though, not that I would have tried to handle it in the first place aha.

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Heck I think I need a beer after just reading that story! Nice handling of the situation and glad there were no injuries.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Crazy fun .. I wont hold my 7" female.. cuz its fangs are too big !!! lol

SBeekman

Arachnopeon
Wow, what a story. I'm glad you're unharmed, first and foremost. I'm not sure I would've been able to react as rationally as you did.

I'm glad my T. Blondi (or Stirmi, not quite sure yet, long story) is quite a docile individual (about 7" big). Story still made me quite scared for when the time comes to clean out its cage and capture it.

synyster

Arachnobaron
Well, glad for you that you didn't get bit through the eye...

Seriously, do you think it was it worth it?

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
Wow, what a story. I'm glad you're unharmed, first and foremost. I'm not sure I would've been able to react as rationally as you did.

I'm glad my T. Blondi (or Stirmi, not quite sure yet, long story) is quite a docile individual (about 7" big). Story still made me quite scared for when the time comes to clean out its cage and capture it.
well the cup thing is something i learned frpm my neighbor, who is an entomologist, when i was a kid. The way to catch anything you want is you place a cup over the insect/tarantula. and slide a piece of paper/cardbord and the bug/tarantula will just adjust its feet over the paper/cardboard. and there you go! you have what you want in a cup ready to transfer as you please.

---------- Post added 11-27-2011 at 10:43 AM ----------

Well, glad for you that you didn't get bit through the eye...

Seriously, do you think it was it worth it?
no, i am not going to do that again, This T is just too skiddish. i am fine with letting him stay in his enclosure!

synyster

Arachnobaron
no, i am not going to do that again, This T is just too skiddish. i am fine with letting him stay in his enclosure!
And so I'm glad to hear ;)

Seriously, I'm glad you didn't go half blind because of trying to manipulate a big defensive spider. Imagine how that would sound in society lol

twentyeggs

Arachnosquire
And so I'm glad to hear ;)

Seriously, I'm glad you didn't go half blind because of trying to manipulate a big defensive spider. Imagine how that would sound in society lol
i know... i wouldn't have been so scared if it was just on my head or back or something.. but my eye!! i could feel its little claws digging in all around it to hold on.. i am still freaked out by what happened.. it took me by complete surprise, I've never seen a T run so fast for so long. This one i am keeping in its cage.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry but I laughed at that. I Couldn't help it, the visuals were just too perfect. Look, this is the perfect example of why tarantulas are display animals, not animals to be held. The best way to enjoy your spider is to build a beautiful enclosure for her and make it a focal point for the room. Holding them is just dangerous for them and potentially dangerous for you as per your example of the eye.