Theraphosa blondi egg sac!!

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
To my surprise my female T.blondi(yes the real one!) laid an egg sac in the last few weeks.. I have a jungle like tank with a deep burrow so hardly see her.

I mated her a few months ago but didn’t think much of it as male wasn’t that fresh but kept him very cold until female was mature.

Now... take the eggsac away from her or let her keep it...is the question.

If I take it I’ll need an incubator and one which turns ideally.

Any ideas?

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Congratulations and nice work! Leave it with her for a little while, then pull it imo. You don't want to pull it too early and mess something up, but you also don't want her to eat it or for it to get moldy or whatever. @louise f has some videos with good incubators that work for her. You can also line a container with wet paper towel, then another container with a dry coffee filter, and put the coffee filter container into the wet container... I'm not explaining this well. Anyway, great work and look up Louise's vids. Also she's cute, so there's another reason to watch her vids.

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
Great! Thanks for the advice I shall have a good think about it really caught me unprepared!

cold blood

Staff member
laid an egg sac in the last few weeks
Well that's a lot of time to be unsure of. Generally people take sacs away at 21-35 days dpending on the species. My guess is that if this sac was layed 3 weeks or more, you would at the very least have EWLs by now, if not 1i....which just need to be incubated...I use the same system @Thistles mentioned. I second the vids made by @louise f .

You would only need to rotate things if you took it early.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I have a piggyback wuestion. When do you stop needing to rotate? Is it at the ewls stage or 1i? Is it different for different species?

jaycied

Arachnoknight
I believe rotation is just to keep the undeveloped eggs from sticking to each other. So probably just until ewl

MaximusMeridus

Arachnopeon
If I have no idea when she laid the eggs...could be days or weeks, any advice on how I could tell whether EWL / when I should pull the eggsac? Naturally it's a rather precious one being genuine T.blondi

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
If you're confident that you made your incubator well and you'll be able to rotate the sac for another week or however long, go for it.

cold blood

Staff member
id take it sometime this week. I would open it and put the eggs/EWLs in the incubator