The WORST possible tarantula?

dopamine

Arachnobaron
With so many criteria points, it's hard to find one tarantula that hits on all of them. Buy for me, the H maculata hits on the bulk of them. But what makes them a pain in the ass also makes them pretty cool. If anything its a challenge.
If you don't mind me asking, what makes these spiders hit all the points? I just bought a tiny sling the other week and besides a mite scare (which isn't the spider's fault) it's been doing fine. Do their care requirements become greater as they get older? Are their humidity requirements similar to pokies?

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
If you don't mind me asking, what makes these spiders hit all the points? I just bought a tiny sling the other week and besides a mite scare (which isn't the spider's fault) it's been doing fine. Do their care requirements become greater as they get older? Are their humidity requirements similar to pokies?
Oh nooo, they are very hardy spiders as soon as they pass 1". The thrills with keeping them is about their attitude, speed, venom potency and reclusiveness. And they are #1 in each of those respective categories and rivaled only by other Stromatopelminae

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Oh nooo, they are very hardy spiders as soon as they pass 1". The thrills with keeping them is about their attitude, speed, venom potency and reclusiveness. And they are #1 in each of those respective categories and rivaled only by other Stromatopelminae
Good to hear! Yeah, he/she is only about the size of my fingernail atm.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I don't have absolutely any troubles with any of my tarantulas, and I keep mainly old worlds such as Haplopelma, Cyriopagopus, Poecilotheria. It's about your routine, approach and experience. You open the enclosure and your tarantula bolts and starts throwing threat poses? Maybe its not feeling secure enough and doesn't have a good hiding spot. Or alternatively, just close the enclosure and come back tomorrow. ^^

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
I don't have absolutely any troubles with any of my tarantulas, and I keep mainly old worlds such as Haplopelma, Cyriopagopus, Poecilotheria. It's about your routine, approach and experience. You open the enclosure and your tarantula bolts and starts throwing threat poses? Maybe its not feeling secure enough and doesn't have a good hiding spot. Or alternatively, just close the enclosure and come back tomorrow. ^^
I agree I really don't have problems with my T's. When feeding or routine maintenance we tend to want to get everything done, but a good rule of thumb is you can always try again tomorrow. :)

Justamarshmallow

Arachnopeon
This is a useful thread! I've only bought three of the know calmest ones so far, so when I'm ready to branch out I'll know what to be wary of.

louise f

Arachnoangel
:eek: The worst !! What !! Noooo. No one is worst IMO, they are all beautiful in each and every way, that you can`t resist to love <3 :kiss:

Take the Avic, fluffy, beautiful colors, and pretty easy to deal with. :)
The Brachys, slow moving, cute and still beautiful colors :kiss:
The P.murinus beautiful orange/red haired lady yummy with an bad temper, kinda fits the haircolor right ? Haha :D
And the great Haplo, such stubbord spider you`ll have to look long after. NOT. And with that of course a very furious biter. But they have those shiny black colors :kiss:
And let`s not forget The Queen P.Muticus. :angelic: The size, color and the hissing :kiss:

And then there`s of course all the rest too, but that would cause a lot of writing, that I`m not intend to do.:bored::D

Haha got yaaa. How would i possible forget my most loved T of all times. Psalmopoeus <3<3 No way not a chance. :kiss::D

dopamine

Arachnobaron
This is a useful thread! I've only bought three of the know calmest ones so far, so when I'm ready to branch out I'll know what to be wary of.
I mean, as long as you're not expecting to hold your spiders there's really not much to be worried about. Besides avic slings and pokies tarantulas really aren't too difficult to care for. NW or OW. But that's just been my experience.

Justamarshmallow

Arachnopeon
I mean, as long as you're not expecting to hold your spiders there's really not much to be worried about. Besides avic slings and pokies tarantulas really aren't too difficult to care for. NW or OW. But that's just been my experience.
I do not intend to handle them unless necessary. I just heard stories of T's attacking owners when they reach for the water dish and such. Thank you, though for the information!

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I do not intend to handle them unless necessary. I just heard stories of T's attacking owners when they reach for the water dish and such. Thank you, though for the information!
I'm sure it happens. But i've owned and currently own several "aggressive" species and have never had that problem.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Totally agree they're like a darker, slimmer version of the king baboon. I love em.
Yeah they aren't as heavy set but are pretty much the same in other departments. I now have H. laticeps sling so I will be getting used to it all again soon, seeing as they grow so damn fast.

And the great Haplo, such stubbord spider you`ll have to look long after. NOT. And with that of course a very furious biter. But they have those shiny black colors :kiss:
Ferocious biter indeed. I wish I still had my straw I used to try to keep her in a catch-cup earlier. It was ripped to shreds, mangled!
I can honestly say it makes me so nervous whenever I open the lid. I prefer when she rolls on her back but when she jumps around biting everything in her way it is scary. :bag::bag::bag::bag::bag:

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
As long as you use common sense, you really shouldn't have to worry about that. I use 12" tongs when changing water bowls so I never need to stick my tender and ever-so-bitable little fingies in. If the T seems excitable and doesn't feel like hiding when I go to change the water, I just leave it be and try again later. You just have to know when to hang up the towel and step away. I suspect not doing that is what causes many of the bites we hear about. Granted, this advice may not really apply to the nastiest of the nasty like S. calceatum or H. maculata. I don't have experience with those... yet!! :D

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Avic slings, like written above, way too much hassle
I will disagree respectfully on avic slings. Have a proper setup w/full water dish an they are almost maintenace free and super easy to raise in my experience

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I will disagree respectfully on avic slings. Have a proper setup w/full water dish an they are almost maintenace free and super easy to raise in my experience
I got that part, but the hassle part is more about their weird feeding responses. Avics are literally only genus of all arboreals that refused food when i put it overnight. Which is annoying because i need to remove it afterwards. And i kept destroying their webs(that are ALWAYS attached to lid or door). Either eat your food or stop spinning web on worst places, not neither in the same time :punch:

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
The Brachys, slow moving, cute and still beautiful colors :kiss:
My Brachypelma smithi is the fastest T I've witnessed in my collection so far. It has the power to teleport! When I got it I thought it would be a beautiful, easy going and chilled girl. Instead I got a psychopath that likes to play tricks on me. It compensates with its appetite though - it's my best eater and attacks prey like an Acanthoscurria! Granted it's only small still (about ~2"). I'm hoping it'll calm down as it gets older!

The worst tarantula is not having a tarantula.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Haplopelma minax
I disagree, their jet black colouration, webbing, attitude abd activity all make them one of my more preferred. Sure C minax spends a lot of time underground, but their attitude and activity above ground make them worthwhile besides the color

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Anyways, I have my reasons not to trust this species...
Yeah, they (H.minax) are indeed 100% "Bahd Modhar Fakkar" T's, like ISIS yahoo loves to say. After all, in Latin, minax means "menace".

I love H.albostriatum 0.1, those looks like a sort of more grumpy & fast G.pulchripes :)

Last edited: