The WORST feeling in the world

Roachesintheivy

Arachnopeon
When you rush to answer a fantastic craigslist ad for tarantulas only to find that the page has been deleted :wall: I was so excited! But I guess I missed my chance. It was an insane deal, too. Adult and juvenile NWs for $25!! I'm so sad I missed it, but all the same I'm glad someone else got such an amazing deal.

Anyone have advice for finding good deals on tarantulas in rural areas? I've been bailed on twice when trying to get to a reptile show.

Also, anyone else wanna complain about experiences where they JUST missed an amazing deal? I think we all know the feeling :p

EDIT: Another Question! Anyone have luck with ISO ads? I'm honestly desprate, I might try it.

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Well that wasn't near as sad a post as i expected from the title. LOL.

Not trying to brag but i have actually been pretty lucky for the most part... Craigslist and face book are probably your best bet. Also on craigslist check the "for sale" as well as "community" sections. i like to go the the spokane home and type into the search and it will pop up X results in Y category. Make sure you type in the whole word though and also the plural. sometimes "Tarantulas" wont show up in a search for "tarantula". Doesn't take a long time to search so it can be done 2 or 3 times a day pretty easy.

As for facebook or other social media, i don't use them so i cant help much, but my GF seems to find some really good deals sometimes on facebook.

Otherwise, just look in the classifieds here on AB. Lots of good prices on slings and many sellers will ship two day w/ lag via usps (if that doesn't bother you) which is like 20 bucks shipping so if you order 2 or 3 spiders the cost is pretty reasonable.

Edit: Teal reminded me of one. A year ago (shortly after getting my first t) i went to an expo and passed up a P. metalica sling for 50 bucks. (as well as a lot of other really good prices) but i was still pretty new and though i should wait. Probably was the responsible thing, but i'm pretty sure i would have done fine with it.

Oh, and another: My girlfriend wanted to buy my some Y. diversipes when they were on sale for 3 for 50 and she contacted the seller (pretty well known vendor), they said they had them still so she said she would buy them if they just told her how much shipping was and they ugnored her for like two weeks and then said "Oh sorry, we've sold them all now). :/ Not sure how i forgot about that one...

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I will NEVER forgive myself for this one...

We were at the ATS convention a few years ago and they were raffling off Ts.

An adult female N. incei gold was up, and the person who won her walked past me back to their seat. I wanted to ask them if they had any interest in trading/selling her, but I balked and didn't manage to say anything.

A few minutes later, I found out they just GAVE her to someone at their table who asked about her!

ARGH, SHE COULD HAVE BEEN MINE!!

Anyways, as for getting Ts in rural areas - Order online! I travel to expos when I can (a lot of times there is a conflict with another event) but the majority of my Ts come from the Classifieds here or on the AB Facebook group if my partner spots something good there (I don't have Facebook).

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
An adult female N. incei gold was up, and the person who won her walked past me back to their seat. I wanted to ask them if they had any interest in trading/selling her, but I balked and didn't manage to say anything.

A few minutes later, I found out they just GAVE her to someone at their table who asked about her!
“Doh!” (Homer Simpson’s voice over)

Minty

@londontarantulas
If you're looking for value for money, you could perhaps try ordering a mystery box from a tarantula dealer. I've never bought one as I like to know exactly what I'm getting, but I've seen a few review videos and the recipients tend to look delighted with their acquisitions.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
“Doh!” (Homer Simpson’s voice over)
I don't know what this means, but I am going to assume it means I obviously messed up? Lol

If you're looking for value for money, you could perhaps try ordering a mystery box from a tarantula dealer. I've never bought one as I like to know exactly what I'm getting, but I've seen a few review videos and the recipients tend to look delighted with their acquisitions.
I have actually been considering doing this! I don't like surprises that I don't even know about, but I love ordering something and not knowing the exact details of what I'll receive.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I don't know what this means, but I am going to assume it means I obviously messed up? Lol

I have actually been considering doing this! I don't like surprises that I don't even know about, but I love ordering something and not knowing the exact details of what I'll receive.
I think most places would allow you to specify things such as 'No arboreals' etc. I know that I'd order one and start trying to work out which tarantulas I'd like, based on what they have available. In that instance, I'd rather just order the species I want.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Oh there’s this Cartoon Character name Homer Simpson who always say ‘Doh!’ Whenever he makes a mistakes.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think most places would allow you to specify things such as 'No arboreals' etc. I know that I'd order one and start trying to work out which tarantulas I'd like, based on what they have available. In that instance, I'd rather just order the species I want.
I have heard that you can set parameters like that - OW, NW, terrestrial, arboreal, etc. Honestly though, there aren't any species anymore that I am like... "Nope, do not want!" I used to stick to very specific types of Ts, but my partner has overcome arachnophobia and begun choosing Ts to add to the collection that are VERY different from what I would choose... and surprisingly, I am enjoying them all!

Minty

@londontarantulas
I have heard that you can set parameters like that - OW, NW, terrestrial, arboreal, etc. Honestly though, there aren't any species anymore that I am like... "Nope, do not want!" I used to stick to very specific types of Ts, but my partner has overcome arachnophobia and begun choosing Ts to add to the collection that are VERY different from what I would choose... and surprisingly, I am enjoying them all!
My wife didn't have arachnophobia, but she was a bit scared of my C.cyanepubescens when I first got him. Then she got used to it and picked out three species at the BTS expo in May. She ended up picking a Caribena versicolor, a Chilobrachys sp. Vietnam blue and a Ephebopus cyanognathus. At the time, I wouldn't have picked either of the two new world tarantulas she picked, but I'm glad she did.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My wife didn't have arachnophobia, but she was a bit scared of my C.cyanepubescens when I first got him. Then she got used to it and picked out three species at the BTS expo in May. She ended up picking a Caribena versicolor, a Chilobrachys sp. Vietnam blue and a Ephebopus cyanognathus. At the time, I wouldn't have picked either of the two new world tarantulas she picked, but I'm glad she did.
My partner was terrified of arachnids... it took years to work on it to the point where we could even live together, and years further until they started to be fascinated by them. And now here we are! They have chosen H. macs and B. vagans, which were never on my radar lol

Minty

@londontarantulas
My partner was terrified of arachnids... it took years to work on it to the point where we could even live together, and years further until they started to be fascinated by them. And now here we are! They have chosen H. macs and B. vagans, which were never on my radar lol
I think I'm going to get a H. mac by the end of the year. I'm fascinated by them, at the moment.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think I'm going to get a H. mac by the end of the year. I'm fascinated by them, at the moment.
I just cannot find it in me to be enthralled by them, and I don't know why! Even the darn little freebie LP we got interests me more :rofl:

TyjTheMighty

Arachnosquire
When you rush to answer a fantastic craigslist ad for tarantulas only to find that the page has been deleted :wall: I was so excited! But I guess I missed my chance. It was an insane deal, too. Adult and juvenile NWs for $25!! I'm so sad I missed it, but all the same I'm glad someone else got such an amazing deal.

Anyone have advice for finding good deals on tarantulas in rural areas? I've been bailed on twice when trying to get to a reptile show.

Also, anyone else wanna complain about experiences where they JUST missed an amazing deal? I think we all know the feeling :p

EDIT: Another Question! Anyone have luck with ISO ads? I'm honestly desprate, I might try it.
I see that you're in MO, I saw that add too. I contacted him and it had barely been posted for half a day and it was already pending pickup x.x but there's a reptile show this weekend so there's still reason to be happy ^-^

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I just cannot find it in me to be enthralled by them, and I don't know why! Even the darn little freebie LP we got interests me more :rofl:
I think a free LP should come with just about every spider order on the planet. They're such a wonderful spider, and people just don't order them on purpose enough. Huzzah the big hairy spider!

Roachesintheivy

Arachnopeon
I see that you're in MO, I saw that add too. I contacted him and it had barely been posted for half a day and it was already pending pickup x.x but there's a reptile show this weekend so there's still reason to be happy ^-^
My dad bailed on taking me to the reptile show and no one else will drive me to Kansas City :`( I have to wait til November, and I ended up getting desprate and making and ISO ad, which you might start seeing :p

(Really though, I'm way too comforted to get a reply from someone who saw the exact ad)

Roachesintheivy

Arachnopeon
I think a free LP should come with just about every spider order on the planet. They're such a wonderful spider, and people just don't order them on purpose enough. Huzzah the big hairy spider!
I want an LP so bad, but I'm nervous about slings. At least they grow fast!

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
For over a year the online vendor I deal with the most had P. rufilatas listed on their site but I wasn't ready for a pokie yet. When I finally decide I am and settled on a rufilata they no longer have them listed and haven't for a few months :( I missed ordering one by a day, so here I sit pokieless trying to patiently wait until they list them again.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I've missed out on so many deals that I lost count.

The way I see it is: the reason I missed out on all these deals is because there is a better one on the way.

The worst feeling is actually when you realize you ran out of space for more new additions.