The webbing habits of A. seemanni??

insekta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So, my A. seemanni was a rescue - very malnourished and dehydrated. In the last few moths she's re-hydrated pretty good and has eaten a few wax worms to bulk up a little bit. She has never webbed though, no even a little bit. When I got her there was no webbing in her tank, either. I attributed this to not having the energy and/or the nutrients to do so. Suddenly today she has been webbing the floor of her cage, although sparsely, she's getting a modest mat down. I don't know if this is just a routine thing that she should have been doing all along, like other T's I've had of different species, or, if this is a molting bed. Anyone with more Aphonopelma experience have any ideas? I need watch her very closely if she is molting because of her hernia, but I don't want to be breathing down her neck, so to speak, waiting for the big show if she's just weaving a rug.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My seemanni never webbed except for a molt mat so that very well might be what yours is doing.

insekta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmmm. Guess I'll make sure I have liquid bandage/superglue and such. I hope she gets to it. I don't want to be sleeping through it and not be able to help her if I need to. :(

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My seemanni has a very fine layer of silk covering her 'strate, but there's nothing really remarkable. Nowhere is it thick enough to even appear "white".

insekta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So far she's just stopped and is sitting up against the corner. Who knows what's going on in her little brain. I guess she'll molt if she's ready to molt, and she'll sit in the corner till she's ready to not sit in the corner. :rolleyes:

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My boy doesn't web much, except for a little webbing in his water dish so that it drains the water into the substrate, thus making me have to carefully reach in there to pull it out to remove the webbing and refill it without messing up his tunnel project.

He decided to dig a hole in the corner of his tank and use his water dish as a hide instead of the flower pot, which is now completely filled with the dirt he dug up. Weirdo.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
My boy doesn't web much, except for a little webbing in his water dish so that it drains the water into the substrate, thus making me have to carefully reach in there to pull it out to remove the webbing and refill it without messing up his tunnel project.

He decided to dig a hole in the corner of his tank and use his water dish as a hide instead of the flower pot, which is now completely filled with the dirt he dug up. Weirdo.

That looks like an accident waiting to happen.:eek:

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It does, but I make sure it's securely in place before filling it with water. As long as he doesn't do any more digging around it (and it looks like he won't since it's been like that for a few weeks now), he should be fine.

Paulie B

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would just re-settle that corner of the tank and let her build / find a new hide.

citizen_smithi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
do you guys' seemani's not web when they're feeding even? Mine always does. She also webs up balls of sub' when she's burrowing to hold them together while she moves them around. Maybe mine's had some sort of training? {D

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
It does, but I make sure it's securely in place before filling it with water. As long as he doesn't do any more digging around it (and it looks like he won't since it's been like that for a few weeks now), he should be fine.
Good luck, hopefully it doest decide to do some late night redecorating while you are sleeping.

Paulie B

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She'll do a little circle alright but no significant webbing can been seen after her.

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good luck, hopefully it doest decide to do some late night redecorating while you are sleeping.
Thanks. I think I'll do what Paulie B suggested. With your initial response and his, I'm thinking it may not be such a good idea to leave it as it is.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In their native haunts, A. seemanni dig extensive burrows, so substrate seems to be appreciated. Haven't ever seen much webbing, just digging.

insekta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
do you guys' seemani's not web when they're feeding even? Mine always does. She also webs up balls of sub' when she's burrowing to hold them together while she moves them around. Maybe mine's had some sort of training? {D
Maybe yours just has OCD. Mine's been through a bit of trauma, so she doesn't seems to like the act of moving, much less digging or anything that would require effort. I do think it's cute, though, how when she eats her little spinnerets wag like a puppy's tail in slow-mo. {D