the Ts that molt together,......

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In the past 2 weeks 4 out of the 6 Ts I have at the moment have molted. Out of my daughters 8 she's had 5 who have molted in the same period.
Our Ts are all at different stages developmentally, some are slings, some juvies and a few semi adults.
Has anyone else noticed that their T's all molt at close to the same time? It seems like an wierd coincedence that 9 out of 14 of our Ts have all molted within a 16 day period.:?

crawldad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello Snoflax! It seems that way to me also. I have certain days that I feed, and most are kept at the same Temp. They all are on the same da/night cycle. Maybe we influence this by our process with them?

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heya Crawldad! You know I wondered that myself. My Ts are all on the same feed, same schedule, same temp, They all get watered at the same time, same substrate, ect. I know they are at least somewhat aware of each others presence. I have a versi sling and a purpurea sling, I have to keep thier KK right next to each other with their webs facing each other. if I dont one or the other starts taking laps around the KK until I move them back.
Of the two I have left that havent molted yet, both are looking a bit shaggy. The B.smithi has a rapidly spreading black patch on his rear end so I am looking forwards to him molting soon. And my versi has webbed itself in its tube web and stopped taking food a few days ago. So I predict both will molt in the next week or so. Since 3 of the 6 are subadults and they have all three just molted and the other three are slings and only one of them has molted so far, I am curious to see if the slings all molt out in the next week or so and if they continue to molt in the same cycle. And if the larger Ts will molt all together as they did this time. I am wondering how much thier enviroment affects when they molt.
My daughters are kept in a slightly different enviroment than mine at present but up until two weeks ago they all were together with mine in the same room. right now they seem to be molting on the same schedule as mine, but I am wondering if the change in enviroment for hers will make a difference. I guess we will see with the next molts.

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive also noticed this,particulaly 2wks ago wen i had 5 on 1 day and 2 the nextday.before that i had no moults for awhile.Mine are all kept the same also and the 1s that moulted together ranged from 0.25 to 4inches.Kinda weird how this happens frequently.Ive also noticed it in the past too.

ventell

Arachnopeon
I usually have atleast 1/2 of my collection in premolt/molt at the same time, and it *always* hits after I buy a 1000 pack of crickets. Then they are ready to eat after most of the crickets are already feed to my wifes veiled chameleons. Mine are also in different stages of development, some are slings, some are adults. I thought it was only me :rolleyes:

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It would seem logical they would acclimate to the same climate and molt around the same time. I *think* this will stop once they approach adulthood though. Different species have different growth rates and obviously adults don’t molt as frequent as your slings or juveniles.

bmoretgirl

Arachnopeon
snoflax said:
Has anyone else noticed that their T's all molt at close to the same time? It seems like an wierd coincedence that 9 out of 14 of our Ts have all molted within a 16 day period.:?

mine do the same thing; approx. FIFTEEN of my t's molted in the course of a two week period. :?

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My other two Ts decided to get with the program. I don't know when my A.versi molted she snuck it in sometime between noon and 6pm. I just happened to glance over and notice her shed beneath her. then I looked in on the B.smithi he has assumed the position and is just about finished :)
So I now have 6 out of 6 in 17 days, and 7 of my daughters 8 have also molted.

Last edited:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im thinking of two possible theories. 1, they tarantulas have some sort of pheromone thing going on, like two women living together having menstral cycles in sync. The other is possibly a "molting season"?. Maybe they naturally just molt at this time more.

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe they are prone to the phases of the moon and like molting in the dark. I just speculate.
My Ts always molt together.