The South American Centipede Conundrum

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are all very interesting observations. Is there any particular reason pedes don't seem to be as studied as other inverts.
Because they don't affect people negatively or positively, for the most part. And unlike Ts, they aren't popular pets.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I more than appreciate this thread as we need more like it in my opinion, just need some departure from even mentioning color and patterns. "Looks off to the east...STEVEN where you at?"

Celestus

Arachnopeon
Old thread but I will add that there is a Scolopendra on Isla Santa Cruz that looks just like a robusta; I did not have any time to examine it closely while I was there unfortunately.

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
Oh, and I think that the viridicornis you posted about not having a ring furrow was just in a different lighting. Here's one that looks exactly the same, and has a ring furrow (which I've highlighted).
Hi, I was just wondering what exactly is a ring furrow?

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
I just got a S. Galapagoensis/Viridicornus a few week back. This is what she looks like. She ate right when i got her but lately she hasnt been eating for the last 10 days or so....kinda making me a little nervous

Attachments

I just got a S. Galapagoensis/Viridicornus a few week back. This is what she looks like. She ate right when i got her but lately she hasnt been eating for the last 10 days or so....kinda making me a little nervous
It's likely in premolt. Did you get her from Nyan? He said they would enter premolt soon.

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
How will I know if she molted? Ive heard centipedes eat their old exoskeleton?

Colby1100

Arachnopeon
Its been over two weeks and she still hasnt molted or fed.... Im starting to get worried. Shes still active and looks alright but everytime I put a cricket or wax/butterworm in her enclosure, as soon she feels it touch her she immediately runs away. Anyway, I took this pic of her today when i picked up her hiding spot

Attachments

NYAN

Arachnoking
Its been over two weeks and she still hasnt molted or fed.... Im starting to get worried. Shes still active and looks alright but everytime I put a cricket or wax/butterworm in her enclosure, as soon she feels it touch her she immediately runs away. Anyway, I took this pic of her today when i picked up her hiding spot
That pede is overweight. It isn’t eating because of this. It will eventually molt, but it needs to be left alone.

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scolopendra galapagoensis 'Galapagos'

This is likely the true galapagoensis as it is from the Galapagos islands. It may have its own color morphs as both of these are (definitely) from different island in the archipelago. It is not commonly sold. Note the thin terminals that resemble those of the Pale Gigs (a relationship between these is possible but unlikely).
Pardon my resurrection of this amazing thread. This is one of the, if not the most fascinating question in Scolopendra. The assumption that this is “the real galapagoensis” isn’t entirely unfounded, since it apparently only appears on that archipelago (and maybe Cocos island of Costa Rica) but there’s nothing about Bollman’s original account that points to this animal more than the one we know as galapagoensis.

I’m unclear if any further examination or observation has taken place since then (most of the galaps in modern literature were collected on the mainland), and aside from referring to this as the “Galapagos Red Foot Centipede”, there’s no real public acknowledgement that it even exists.

My personal take is that this probably is a variant of galapagoensis. Both forms occur on their namesake islands, there appears to be some variability between them (ie, animals that appear to share traits of each), but the observable characteristics leave some questions to be asked:

1. Antenna segments seem to agree with galapagoensis. From most of the pictures I see there are 7 smooth segments, with hirsute segments turning red or orange.

2. Tergite margination appears to agree with galapagoensis, as does coloration of the pleural region.

3. Despite this, as the author above pointed out, the terminal legs appear closer to gigantea or white legs. In fact, the terminal segment does as well.

4. Perhaps most importantly, the terminal segment also seems to feature a small median keel, something galapagoensis does not have.

This perhaps leaves more questions than answers, but there’s still plenty of material out there for hobbyists to review. For example, the arrangement of spines on legs 16-21 can be fairly easily viewed via images online. Sadly I don’t think there are any pictures out there or tooth plates or clear views of sternites, but maybe I just haven’t looked hard enough.

Anyway, my Monday morning take.