The least desireable species...

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
My least favorable sp. is Homo sapien. See I'm not racist I hate everyone equally. :)

ASAP TARANTULA

Arachnopeon
Most arboreal and New World Ts are the least desired in my collection.
Im in love with Old World burrowing Ts like Hysterocrates, Chilobrachys, and Haplopelmas

MrDave

Arachnosquire
My least favorable sp. is Homo sapien. See I'm not racist I hate everyone equally. :)
They require a pretty big enclosure too.

---------- Post added 03-02-2015 at 03:53 PM ----------

That joke/answer was given in this thread already. It was more amusing the first time around. :mask:
Hope I didn't make the same enclosure joke. Or anyone else.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not really a fan of many terrestrial species. I like a few like Brachypelma, Ephebopus, and a few of the large South American terrestrials, and also a few OW burrowing species. However I think arboreals are way more interesting. Doesn't matter to me if they're OW or NW.

ArborealKing

Arachnopeon
Not really a fan of many terrestrial species. I like a few like Brachypelma, Ephebopus, and a few of the large South American terrestrials, and also a few OW burrowing species. However I think arboreals are way more interesting. Doesn't matter to me if they're OW or NW.
Same here on not liking terrestrials. I love Asian arboreals especially.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Honestly I don't have much interest in keeping Theraphosa species. It's not so much the size but the uricating hairs I don't want to deal with. I'm not so worried about my Brachypelma species kicking hairs. I generally just try to avoid annoying them anyway. But I've seen videos of stirmis and blondis kicking up hairs and just would prefer not to deal with that frakking "hair cloud". The MF B. vagans was bad enough when getting her out of the shipping box and in the new tank.

I hear LPs aren't quite as bad...I may try a LP but won't hesitate to resell if it's a hardcore hair kicker.

Arboreal, terrestrial, fossorial...I don't mind. I just don't want to be blinded by my tarantulas XD.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I only require a 8 x 12ft enclosure to keep me happy :)

While you're at it, find me a mate, too.
well.. if we have one of those fold down beds that come from the wall and wall mounted tv's we may be able to get away with a 7'x7' but this species will need a bit of excersise to run around in the back yard or on a leash XD

Last edited:

Wasabiroot

Arachnopeon
I find myself avoiding the smaller species, like Cyriocosmus for example. For some reason, I get more enjoyment out of larger spiders. Some of the dwarf varieties are undeniably pretty, though.

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
As beautiful as they are, I couldn't ever get an Avic.

Something about the high rate of at-random deaths of the younger ones combined with the stringent environmental requirements put me off...which is a shame. A. versicolor is among one of the most beautiful species IMO

Last edited:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Something about the high rate of at-random deaths of the younger ones combined with the stringent environmental requirements put me off...which is a shame. A. versicolor is among one of the most beautiful species IMO
Get an adult then.

cold blood

Staff member

Ignore care sheets and listen to the advice given here by experienced keepers and Avics aren't that tough at all to keep, even as slings....seriously, its not nearly as difficult as you believe. The problem is that many get them, and go read a bunch of "care-sheets" to prepare. Then they try to match what it says and end up with a dead t because the care sheet told them they must have humidity maintained at an exact, number specific level...they get hygrometers and pour in the water until their hygrometer reads the "proper" number they read....by then its often almost too late. Truth is that good cross ventilation is far more important to their survival than is humidity. I have yet to read a care sheet that stresses this ventilation issue and without this critical bit of info, they suffer and because the care sheets were followed, they see the death as a mystery, adding to the misconception that they are difficult to keep. Not difficult at all, they just don't tolerate poor conditions well.

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
Ignore care sheets and listen to the advice given here by experienced keepers and Avics aren't that tough at all to keep, even as slings....seriously, its not nearly as difficult as you believe. The problem is that many get them, and go read a bunch of "care-sheets" to prepare. Then they try to match what it says and end up with a dead t because the care sheet told them they must have humidity maintained at an exact, number specific level...they get hygrometers and pour in the water until their hygrometer reads the "proper" number they read....by then its often almost too late. Truth is that good cross ventilation is far more important to their survival than is humidity. I have yet to read a care sheet that stresses this ventilation issue and without this critical bit of info, they suffer and because the care sheets were followed, they see the death as a mystery, adding to the misconception that they are difficult to keep. Not difficult at all, they just don't tolerate poor conditions well.
Well that's actually reassuring to hear - I've never had one, obviously...I hear of more deaths of Avics than nearly any other species so for someone who's never had experience with one you could understand the apprehension.

I've read recently that having a slightly lower but consistent humidity is better than a constantly fluctuating one in a fight to maintain a specific level...