The least desireable species...

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To stay with the topic,I vote T.blondi. To me it is just ugly. The only thing going for it is size,and IMHO,size is over rated....Its just a "ohhhh,I have the biggest t" kinda thing.

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im with you guys! :) i would rather keep a T that's defensive, skittish. atleast i can see them. :D love to see my guys molting. :)
Some T's that are defensive and skittish are allmost allways hidden. Example: H. lividum

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That would be me to, I have owned 4-5 KB and sold them in a short time because it was a waste of space to me....not saying they are not awesome T's, but i rather have something I can see!
i gotta agree with that as well,i dont see my H lividum at all...:wall:
but shes been with me the longest so...

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is Aphonopelma the only genus native to the USA?

I am not fond of them. I tried many species, and the ones that I like the least are :

The whole sub family Ischnocolinae
Chylobracis other than fimbriatus
Aphonopelmas
Most pet holes

ElfDa

Arachnopeon
Cobalt Blue: no matter how pretty, I just don't like dealing with buttheads I can't slap.

and i'd never go with Old Worlders.
again with the buttheads and the slapping.

personally, I like G. Roseas. My first introduction to the hobby was a G. rosea named Harriet, that I babysat for a friend.
She opened a whole new world to me by teaching me that 8-legged monsters don't have to be scary. :eek:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think most tarantulas are amazing in their own way. I am partial to terrestrials and fossorials, mostly NW, but I have some OW, too. I have no desire at this time to keep any of the arboreals. (As soon as I say, "I will never have...", I will end up with a houseful. So, I never say never...) As far as unappealing to look at, I find the Theraphosa sp decidedly unattractive. They are very cute babies, but then they grow up...

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well its all Brachypelma sp's for me, except the Albiceps and Schroederi.

Favorite Aphonopelmas of coarse

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know I'm probably an oddball with this one, but tarantulas from the genus Theraphosa just don't appeal to me.

Art

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well its all Brachypelma sp's for me, except the Albiceps and Schroederi.

Favorite Aphonopelmas of coarse
I've always considered Aphonopelma to be the uncivilized cousins of Brachypelma so I found it odd that you hate the brachys and love the aphonos. But, since its been a while since I've sat down and really looked at the genus, I thought it was time and so I did. I've also now added Aphonopelma anax to my wish list. Aphonopelma texense is kinda neat too.

Last edited:

synyster

Arachnobaron
Favorite: Theraphosa's and Poecilotheria's

Least appreciated: Aphonopelma's

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
As far as G. rosea goes it isn't the homely appearance or the availability that puts me off. I don't enjoy how unpredictable they can be even by tarantula standards.

With that said I would have to say Haplopelma sp. first and foremost(no OBT compares to the tude on my lividum:) ).

Theraphosa I have always been on the fence about. They're awsome Ts until I factor in the urticating hairs(A. genic is irritating enough on me) and the molt complications common in mature specimens. Hopefully one day soon we'll sort out our husbandry and this problem will be a thing to remember...

Peace

web eviction

Arachnolord
I absolutely love all T's I would happily purchase any T at a good price they are all just so fascinating to me there for I don't really have a most or least favorite, although I think T's have became my gateway drug Lmao I'm really taking interest in pedestrians and scorps as of late.....

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I find Lasiodora, especially parahybanas, to be boring and generic looking.

A lot of the old worlders are less than desirable to me also because they tend to burrow.

Lawnmower599

Arachnosquire
I love my g.roses she is not overly active but she is just so cuddly but I hate p.lugardi I think it is and I also hate h.minax horrible tarantulas don't like colours its not cause they old world I love most old worlds its just the colours rather have a million g.roses than one of those guys even if it was a pet rock

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd probably have to say most Aphonopelma species. There are far more appealing NW terrestrials within the Brachypelma and Grammostola genera. The blue A. seemani is pretty gorgeous, but most others I find unremarkable.

I'm also not a fan of pet holes, so for me to keep an obligate burrower it has to be ridiculously cool (i.e. one of the horned baboons, E. cyanognathus, etc.) Most Haplopelma other than H. lividum don't quite cut it for me.

That being said, I like ALL tarantulas to some degree. :)

FrostyCakee

Arachnosquire
I cant think of one tarantula that i dont want {D
but if i had to choose it wouldnt be so much a specific T. I Would say that im not to crazy about Poecilotheria genus.
I still want a P. Regalis and a P. Formosa but im not dying to get my hands on one :D

Arachnopeon
There's not a tarantula I wouldn't buy, but if someone point a gun at my head an demand I give up having an specific spider, I would say any brown one. Don't have a thing for dwarf either, but I'd buy any colorful t.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't like G. rosea and most other new world tarantulas.

Last edited:

Imbrium

Arachnopeon
Any Theraphosa, due to the molt problems. They are such cool T's, I would be so sad to have a big one go through that.

Raven9464

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
T. blondi
For some weird reason, blond T's just look sinister to me?:confused: