The Good tarantulas

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm writing an essay, persuading that tarantulas are not "evil," but are misunderstood and accused, and also how some of them are very docile, and that they can't kill you..
my friend even thinks that they will actually jump on you and attack you..:wall:
I've some basic ideas so far. I'd appreciate other ideas. \
Thanks ,
james.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Well, I don't know what points you're going to bring up in the essay, but really, give them the facts. Bring up a false statements, and prove them wrong, but be sure to prove them with actual facts, not just 'my T has never bitten me'.

I've found making people interested is more effective then proving stuff, or saying things. People that don't believe me, and argue 'with what they read'. I bring them a T, or invite them over. I get it out, and in under 5 minutes, they aren't going to tell me squat. They shoot questions out non-stop. Begging me to let them touch it. ;)
If your friend thinks that, bring him to your house and show them to him. The more doubts you squish, the better reputation you give T's.

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks shawdow blade.. the facts.. :)
i'll research about bite reports, etc.
thanks alot!

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i totally agree. i would stick with facts and back then up with the sources you got them from. use quotes from taxonomists etc. but also i wouldnt sugar coat anything for people either. after all you arent going to handle a Cobalt Blue the same way youd handle a Pink Toe. some t's are in fact mean. just my opinion. hope the essay turns out well! good luck!

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
good and bad

I would emphasize the good points about Ts, docility, reluctance to bite unless provoked, etc. But to be fair too, point out that, as mentioned, some species are defensive and not handleable. Fairly present both sides.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
handleable or not

Agreed, individual Ts within species may or may not behave as the species in general.

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh, and i'll also need why they are NOT good.
.. just to show that i know both sides of the point! :)
thanks for all the inputs. hm..

cheshire.. roach in your eye? ..u mean a small roach in ur eye? ..:eek:
are you ok?

RedDrgn

Arachnopeon
Well, you could definitely mention that most can't jump further than their own legspan, so your friend should be safe unless they stick their face right up to one and it decides to have a bit of fun or thinks that they are food for some reason.

I'm still very knew to this, but I don't think that saying that they can't kill you is a good idea. I understand that it's highly improbable, but some people may be particularly allergic to tarantula venom or even their urticating hairs. I would assume that it's then possible to go into anaphilactic shock if not dealt with. Again, rare, especially since people dealing with tarantulas directly is somewhat rare in comparison to things like stinging bees and ants, but just something to consider.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cheshire.. roach in your eye? ..u mean a small roach in ur eye? ..:eek:
are you ok?
As for not good, I'd concentrate on poecilotheria and other hyper defensive OW species that are more for advanced keepers as well as habitat destruction and depletion because of the pet trade.

As for the roach in my eye, a very small N. cinerea happened to find it's way onto the screen of my 10 gallon enclosure, so I lightly flicked the screen to bounce it up in the air so I could catch it (if you've ever tried to grab a newborn one of these, you'd understand) and somehow the trajectory of the roach led it to my eye.

Feeling a roach try to burrow it's way into the back of your eye orbit is a disturbing feeling, no matter what life experiences you have.

The roach eventually got enveloped in that crap you have to brush off your eyes when you wake up in the morning and was dead and passed out of my eye in about 10 minutes. My eye was red for the rest of the night, but it returned to normal the next morning leaving me with a little more eye crap than average and a very interesting story about the dangers of keeping bugs.

And for those of you who are wondering...

...yes, the amount of eye crap coming from my eye in the morning is back to normal.

Could I technically post this in the bite report section?

demicheru

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
is this an essay for a school assignment? personal edification? something for your friends?

I worked as an english tutor at my old high school and junior college, so I could give some pointers on this basic process (hopefully) if it is for school...

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes it's for school.. and I'm providing a - persuasive essay- following the structure..etc.

Mr Short Radius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, you could definitely mention that most can't jump further than their own legspan, so your friend should be safe unless they stick their face right up to one and it decides to have a bit of fun or thinks that they are food for some reason.

I'm still very knew to this, but I don't think that saying that they can't kill you is a good idea. I understand that it's highly improbable, but some people may be particularly allergic to tarantula venom or even their urticating hairs. I would assume that it's then possible to go into anaphilactic shock if not dealt with. Again, rare, especially since people dealing with tarantulas directly is somewhat rare in comparison to things like stinging bees and ants, but just something to consider.
Has a tarantula ever killed a human? Just wondering.

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think... "tarantulas" did.. but not theraphosidae family , the type of tarantulas we keep as a pet.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just an idea...

idk if this would fit to your persuasive essay format:? , but i think it might be a good idea to go with the fact that Theraphosids aren't necessarily "good" or "bad", but are merely animals that behave according to the instincts that they have evolved over an extremely long period of time in order to survive...and then maybe you can go into how hunting and killing humans is not within those instincts etc

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Has a tarantula ever killed a human? Just wondering.
I believe I read that there has been no ducumented death of a human from a tarantula bite. That's all it said. That doesn't mean someone hasn't died from the effect of something a tarantula caused though. I could'nt tell you where I read it. ??? :?