The Dance Of Doom: A tarantula mystery

JayzunBoget

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The following story happened to me about 4-5 years ago. At the time of the occurrence, my group of friends and I had just began to learn about tarantulas and didn't have any idea what had happened.
At the pet store I work at one of my employees had asked me to capture the three pink toe tarantulas that were living in the 30 gallon tall aquarium that he was about to clean. He was actually pretty excited to try capturing them himself, but he wanted me to demonstrate how I went about it after one had intimidated him with the way they seem to slam their little feet down (thrump-thrump-thrump) as they dash around on the vertical glass.
I showed him how I carefully, but quickly bring an 8 ounce deli container down on top of the Pink Toe and then coax it onto the deli container lid. This was a nearly full grown WC individual that had a legspan almost exactly the diameter of the deli container but he went in with little protest. However, once he was in the container and sealed, he began raising and slamming down each foot in succession going around in a circle about it's body. It did this very quickly and increased in speed until it looked like a child's spinning top winding down, all the while slamming each foot so hard, it created a loud thrumming.
As it's speed and thrumming came to a crescendo, all of a sudden it stopped abruptly and, as far as I could tell, died right then.
I opened the container and removed the limp, lifeless little corpse and inspected it. There were no obvious signs of whatever was wrong, not that I would have recognized them back then, anyways. I placed it in a KK that I had misted lightly to see if it recovered, but it did not stir at all after that.
I related the story to my vet and he had no explanation. I had absolutely no idea what had happened, so I referred to the story as the Dance of Death.
I have since learned quite alot about tarantulas and believe that I have a very plausible theory about what happened, and I will post that later but first I would like to hear if any of you have any theories about this mystery.
:? :? :? :? :?

DJThinK

Arachnopeon
Wow!

That is amazing! Truly an amazing story. That's all I have. I can't add anything but bewilderment. What species was it?
-C

DJThinK

Arachnopeon
Wow!

That is amazing! Truly an amazing story. That's all I have. I can't add anything but bewilderment. What species was it?
-C

DJThinK

Arachnopeon
Wow!

-C

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just an idea. Any chance maybe there was some left over chemical from a cleaning product in the deli?

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it had it's own little mini T seizure or heart attack... poor thing

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Jayzun,

I actually posted on your theory on here not too long ago, got some positive responses... I look forward to seeing what everyone says this go around.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I only time I have heard and seen tarantulas drumming was during courtship. I don't think it was stress. In my opinion a stressed tarantula is more likley to freeze up and not move at all.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would guess it blew a gasket. Too much hydraulic pressure build up and it either blew the "heart"/pump(which I wouldnt think would cause instant death), it "stroked" out by building too much pressure in the carapace and maybe damaged the "brain". Or it blew gaskets in the legs preventing the proper build up of hydraulic pressure in the legs to continue working.

Oddly the same thing might happen in the landing gear of one of our airplanes. The gear is held up in the belly by hydraulic pressure, if you have a run away pump and it over-boosts and blows the seals, the pump would bleed the system and the gear would fall out of the aircraft like dead, limp legs.

JayzunBoget

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, that was a rilly cool theory with the hydrolic pressure scenario. I never even thought of that. Perhaps a blown gasket in the heart might not cause instant death, but it would appear that way, because it would not be able to move.
As far as the initial action (the whirling dervish), I think most of us would agree that it was stress related. True, stress and fear often will make a t freeze up for long periods of time, but it can also send it on a rampage.:( :eek: :evil:
Oops, gotta go. I will be back to tell you my theory. Thank you for sharing yours.

HollyLS

Arachnopeon
Dance of death..

Remember I told you I have a MM G. rosea that did something similar. Here is a video of "Legs":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAqAz5bDK1E

He made it a couple of days having these convulsions but then died. He was in tarantula ICU when I took the video (sorry for the quality of it, best I could do at the time). :-( Similar, but not really. LOL

Holly

JayzunBoget

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Earlier this year, upon reconsideration, I think I have a very plausible explanation. As the tarantula thrashed about it burned oxygen. Because of the passive oxygen exchange of its booklungs, they have no way to increase its oxygen intake. This is why tarantulas have no stamina. What if this little guy, in his full-on freak out, pushed himself in that sealed in container, until he burned all of his oxygen and asphyxiated himself.
As a side note, I once told this theory to Stan Schultz, author of The Tarantula Keepers Guidebook, and he thought that it was perhaps a neurological problem like a bacterial infection in the brain.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would guess that the lack of oxygen was basically turn the T "off"/but it to "sleep" but the passive intake of oxygen would still happen in the book lungs providing enough oxygen to keep her alive. The T would stay "asleep" until the oxygen levels reached high enough saturation to "wake her up".

Granted this assumes the T's nervous system seperated motor control and cireculatory impulses and that it would shut down motor control but not circulatory impulses before it exhausts all the oxygen...thats a big assumption on my part though:?

JayzunBoget

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didn't consider that. Perhaps that is an assumption that you made, but I would think that it is a very safe assumption. I would expect that the legs would no longer be able to function and burn more oxygen before there was no longer enough oxygen to allow circulatory system to function.
Yeah, I would expect it, upon consideration of your thoughts, to pass out and wake up later if that were the case.

TheBeautyOf8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this might be off the wall altogether, but ive heard stories of certain reptiles and tarantulas, that when surrounded by a ring of fire , bite themselves and commit suicide, rather than burn to death, you say the tarantula was a very close fit in the deli cup, maybe it thought it was being crushed or buried? just a theory. no flames plz! :D haha!