The 38 types of isopods I keep

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
Which species have you seen successfully cohabit in equilibrium for over a year, if any?
What allowed them to successfully cohabit without one eventually overwhelming the other?
Temperature, humidity, or light gradients?
Varied food or substrate?
Predation by a third party?

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
Since they have different behavior and somewhat different food, substrate, and moisture preferences, I'm guessing Armadillidium and Porcellio dilatatus might be able to cohabit with some varied food, substrate, and moisture. However, I'm not quite sure how that should be best arranged.

Last edited:

LittleOddIsopod

Arachnosquire
Which species have you seen successfully cohabit in equilibrium for over a year, if any?
What allowed them to successfully cohabit without one eventually overwhelming the other?
Temperature, humidity, or light gradients?
Varied food or substrate?
Predation by a third party?
I can’t answer with absolute certainty since I’ve only been keeping isopods for around 8 months, but I’ll try. You should be able to keep Porcellionides Floria, P. Laevis, and A. Vulgare together with nearly the same diet, temp, and moisture requirements. I have a culture that I keep with those 3 species mixed and they are doing very well. I also know that All 3 of those species inhabit the same areas as I have found the living together unseen logs outside. The only thing to watch out with cohabbing is creating hybrids. If you mix two species that are very similar in size and appearance they may hybridize, which is a problem if you ever plan to sell (since they won’t be purebred).

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
Would it be a fair assumption that Porcellionides pruinosus would be as cohabitable as Porcellionides floria,
and Porcellio dilatatus as P. laevis?
I have a small tank with Porcellionides pruinosus, Porcellio dilatatus, and A. vulgare. A vulgare climbs highest on the vertically placed pieces of bark.

coniontises

Arachnosquire
Would it be a fair assumption that Porcellionides pruinosus would be as cohabitable as Porcellionides floria,
I have a small tank with Porcellionides pruinosus, Porcellio dilatatus, and A. vulgare. A vulgare climbs highest on the vertically placed pieces of bark.
Porcellionides pruinosus and floria are almost identical and (I think) can only be separated via microscope or expert examining, although laevis and dilatatus are obviously quite different.

Thus (based on experience with beetles), pruinosus and floria could easily substitute each other, although I wouldn’t risk the Porcellio spp. Of course, subtle behavioral diffs could exist between both Porcellionides, even though it’s a safe bet.

LittleOddIsopod

Arachnosquire
Yes, but I wouldn’t mix Laevis with Canyon isos, or Floria with Pruinosus. They are so similar that they may very well hybridize.

Introvert Inverts

Arachnopeon
All the photos of each species are posted on my Instagram, you don’t need an account to view them. If you have Instagram just search @IsopodaPagoda. if you don’t, go to
https://www.pintaram.com/u/isopodapagoda To see my posts

Armadillidium Vulgare:
-Normal
-Gold fleck/Variegated
-High yellow
-Orange Vigor
-Morph Mix
-Ornate
-Pied
-Appaloosa

Armadillidium Nasatum (Nosy)
-Peach

Armadillidium Klugii (Montenegro)
-Normal

Armadillidium Granulatum
-Normal

Armadillidium Maculatum (Zebra)
-Normal
-Chocolate
-Spot
-Orange
-Chocolate spot
-Bold Stripe

Armadillidium Sordidum (Punta Cana)
-Normal
-Peach
-Morph Mix

Porcellio Pruinosis (Powder Blue)
-Normal
-Purple
-Orange
-Morph Mix (hasn’t arrived yet)

Porcellio Scaber
-Normal
-Giant Orange
-Dalmatian
-Orange Dalmatian
-Orange Koi (hasn’t arrived yet)
-Snow (hasn’t arrived yet)
-Calico

Porcellio Dilatus (Giant Canyon)
-Normal
-Dwarf Cubaris
-Normal

Porcellio Hoffmannseggi
-Normal

Porcellio Laevis
-Dairy Cow
-Morph Mix

Porcellio Ornatus
-South/yellow spot

Trichorhina Tomentosa (Dwarf white)
-Normal
Do you happen to have a price list available? I'm searching for a few isopod species.

ohaple

Arachnopeon
Yes, but I wouldn’t mix Laevis with Canyon isos, or Floria with Pruinosus. They are so similar that they may very well hybridize.
Just a minor note on this. Per the only Journal article I have read on the subject, they cannot cross. They tried over 40 times with virgin individuals and were never able to. On the contrary, NA P. Pruinosis and European P. Pruinosis were able to breed.

Garthwaite, Ronald & Sassaman, Clay. (1985). Porcellionides floria, New Species, from North America; Provinciality in the Cosmopolitan Isopod Porcellionides pruinosus (Brandt). Journal of Crustacean Biology. 5. 539. 10.2307/1547923.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a minor note on this. Per the only Journal article I have read on the subject, they cannot cross. They tried over 40 times with virgin individuals and were never able to. On the contrary, NA P. Pruinosis and European P. Pruinosis were able to breed.

Garthwaite, Ronald & Sassaman, Clay. (1985). Porcellionides floria, New Species, from North America; Provinciality in the Cosmopolitan Isopod Porcellionides pruinosus (Brandt). Journal of Crustacean Biology. 5. 539. 10.2307/1547923.
Thanks for posting this reference! People sometimes ask about isopod hybridization...and I have never seen documentation supporting or refuting it, although I imagine that if it were common, we’d see a lot more of it in the hobby.

ohaple

Arachnopeon
Thanks for posting this reference! People sometimes ask about isopod hybridization...and I have never seen documentation supporting or refuting it, although I imagine that if it were common, we’d see a lot more of it in the hobby.
Of course! It is difficult to determine due to the way sperm is stored in isopods. That is why virgin individuals are important. I am isolating virgin individuals for my breeding project. I would have guessed they are close enough to hybridize, but apparently not.

Side note, I watched your Youtube prior to ordering isopods and they were a huge help. Keep up the great content. I did Youtube semi-professionally for many years so I know how much of a challenge it is to keep going without clickbait style videos, but you should know it is appreciated by many of us. Your thumbnails are clear to read and are descriptive, which I appreciate when trying to find information. Also, if it is of interest to you I would be happy to discuss my choice chamber isopod experiments, my breeding project, or any of the several isopod journal articles I have read. I am surprised more people in the hobby aren't reading journals since there is so much good research out there. Some of it might make for good content once complete.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Of course! It is difficult to determine due to the way sperm is stored in isopods. That is why virgin individuals are important. I am isolating virgin individuals for my breeding project. I would have guessed they are close enough to hybridize, but apparently not.

Side note, I watched your Youtube prior to ordering isopods and they were a huge help. Keep up the great content. I did Youtube semi-professionally for many years so I know how much of a challenge it is to keep going without clickbait style videos, but you should know it is appreciated by many of us. Your thumbnails are clear to read and are descriptive, which I appreciate when trying to find information. Also, if it is of interest to you I would be happy to discuss my choice chamber isopod experiments, my breeding project, or any of the several isopod journal articles I have read. I am surprised more people in the hobby aren't reading journals since there is so much good research out there. Some of it might make for good content once complete.
Thank you, i am glad to know my videos have been helpful and YES, I would be interested in discussing all of the topics you mentioned above. :)