Texas Brown pairing...I fell asleep. -.-

Burchling

Arachnopeon
Last night, I was up real late.

I thought I would finally pair up my beautiful female brownie with a male I acquired from a local shop about a week ago. I like to wait until about 9:00OPM to pair them up. They're usually both pretty active starting around 8:30PM, but whatever. I put him in with the female about 9:15PM and it was all around, pretty uneventful. To put it into words.....it was....boring.

Like a middle school YMCA dance. He wanted to stand over here and do the guy thing. -- She wanted to stand over there and do her thing... It was dreadfully boring. BUT I had hope, because they were definitely aware of one another and just walking about in non-intersecting circles.

Somewhere during this hypnotizing display I either stopped caring because my male is a pansie, or I fell asleep from exhaustion. Either way, it was about 2:00AM. A long time to look at anything...but I was careless.

Luckily...As I predicted, my male was too worried about getting eaten do ask her to dance. We've all been there. GOOD NEWS: He gets another shot at it tonight. ;) ;) *nudge*nudge

Here's to hoping tonight is a little more fruitful.

....But I wonder? Will it? Does it even matter? What if someone walks in and sees me passed out with a manila folder? Will they think I'm some sort of narcoleptic filing clerk?

-Sometimes I wonder if the answer even matters, and then there's the internet... :eek:oh:

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I was certain I was about to read that you fell asleep with 2 spiders in an enclosure and woke up with 1 spider and 1 large bolus.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Why re-pair them? That greatly increases the chances of the male being killed.

Karmaz

Arachnopeon
Poec - why does repairing a male with a female increase the chances of it being killed?
Repairing this soon might increase his chances of dying. Obviously she was uninterested, but tolerant of him last night. Tonight, especially if OP can't stay awake to responsibly breed them and she again shows no interest in the said male she could very well run out of patience in having him in her territory and eat him. It's Russian Roulette for the male, and a hot date for the female, good chance of dinner afterwards. I'd wait a few days before attempting a repair, or maybe try it in a neutral setting where neither have established dominance if you're adamant on getting a sac.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Poec - why does repairing a male with a female increase the chances of it being killed?

She's mated, she's got a full pouch, & not necessarily as interested in boys as she was. I've lent out dozens of males on breeding loans over the last 3 years (a variety of genera and species), and the vast majority have been killed on 2nd and 3rd pairings with the same female. Then all too often the female sheds without laying a sac, and nobody gets slings. Not the best plan. they don't need the pouch to be overflowing with sperm.

Classic example:
My biggest LV female, mated her in the fall, she shed several months later (out of sequence). I had put the male in for one night only, and he was still alive to mate with her after her shed. Again, one night only. From that pairing I got a big sac in the spring and a 2nd sac (double clutch) in the fall. Total of 250 slings between the sacs. Had I done the usual thing of repeated pairings or left him in until he was killed, I'd have gotten no slings. Sperm are small, it doesn't take a quart of them to fertilize a few hundred eggs.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One pairing with my Aphonopelma hentzi gave me about 600 spiderlings.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Anyone consider that the "Texas browns" in the attempted mating are two different species which is why they didn't mate? I will leave it at that since the original post did not ask for help or advice.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And about 100 of them are just now reaching an inch DLS... some two years later...
Yea same here. I have 18 left and they just started molting to the 1" mark with about 4 of them at the 1/2" mark. I wonder the size difference between the ones raised to the released ones?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She's mated, she's got a full pouch, & not necessarily as interested in boys as she was. I've lent out dozens of males on breeding loans over the last 3 years (a variety of genera and species), and the vast majority have been killed on 2nd and 3rd pairings with the same female. Then all too often the female sheds without laying a sac, and nobody gets slings. Not the best plan. they don't need the pouch to be overflowing with sperm.

Classic example:
My biggest LV female, mated her in the fall, she shed several months later (out of sequence). I had put the male in for one night only, and he was still alive to mate with her after her shed. Again, one night only. From that pairing I got a big sac in the spring and a 2nd sac (double clutch) in the fall. Total of 250 slings between the sacs. Had I done the usual thing of repeated pairings or left him in until he was killed, I'd have gotten no slings. Sperm are small, it doesn't take a quart of them to fertilize a few hundred eggs.
Ah I see now, I thought you meant it wasn't good if the pairing wasn't successful. Makes sense, thanks!

Burchling

Arachnopeon
I was certain I was about to read that you fell asleep with 2 spiders in an enclosure and woke up with 1 spider and 1 large bolus.
Which is what normally happens...and why I felt I should post it up lol

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is the male drumming when in the females enclosure and the female responding? Have you witnessed the male making a sperm web? I introduced my male to my female by putting there enclosures next to each other and the male went straight to the edge of the females enclosure and started drumming. The female responded right away to the male. They hooked up for for about 30 seconds and the male made a Bee line out of there. About a month later she had a huge egg sac. What size is the female? Can you post a picture of the male and female especially the males pedipalps. If they don't respond with each other the male will likely end up. Not good