Ten-lined June beetle (Polyphylla decemlineata)

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Polyphylla decemlineata, right?

I enjoy finding these guys around this time every year. When I was a kid, the size of them just blew my mind. They still kind of do.

This one was just hanging right beside my door, evidently waiting for a photoshoot.

made it hiss...
[YOUTUBE]0GieMGXBDQc?hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

Then let it go after it warmed up some.
[YOUTUBE]EMwyBBpkXjU?hd=1[/YOUTUBE]

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Nice the ones in Eastern WA haven't come out yet. They are pretty prolific here in Ponderosa Forest areas.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pretty neat to see such a good-sized bug so far North, eh?

Nice shots. When they spread the blades of their antennae they are at their best, I think.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
great pics,i would love a group of these..have wanted to attempt to breed them ever since i seen the first pics...first time i have ever noticed the antennae....
andy

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yeah, they're big bugs. I found a female at work today, seemed a lot larger than the male pictured above. I live in the suburbs so seeing any of these guys is a real treat!

As big as these guys are, I'd love to see a larva. They must be massive! How long so they take from egg to beetle? I'm guessing a few years? Haha.

Kruggar

Arachnobaron
Beautiful beetle! Thanks for the pics and videos, I Love the seeing large beetles take off.
:clap::clap::clap:

Also I think rearing might be hard considering that the larvae feed on the roots of fruit trees... Unless you have a (potted) fruit tree or otherwise. Good luck though!

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Northern June bug....

Nice photos! Nice find too. I really like it when people take a good photo of any bug and post it online so I can live vicariously through thier camera lens.... ;)

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
have you found any Prionus californicus (Giant Root Borer) in your neck of the woods? I usually see at least a couple in Spokane County in August.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I have not. I have never seen em in person, actually, but I know they are around these parts.
Another suprising big bug you wouldn't expect to find up here, for sure.