Temperature newbie here, heating/temp controlling a walk in closet bug room

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Hello all,
I have to keep my house at 68 to keep my halide lit reef tank cool, esp in the summertime. I do have a additional unused, walk in closet that has no HVAC ducts. I'm considering using some type of temp controller like a ranco to controlled a heating method, my concern is fire safety and redundancy. The room/walk in closet is approx 8ftx5ft. Basically in all humbleness, WWYD? Want to be safe, no fire hazard, redundant and reliably automated, humidity control advice would be appreciated as well.
Also should I cut a ~1ft x 2.5ft hole to install a vent plate on the door?
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Bump? Would really appreciate some expericenced advice and guidance.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
What species are you keeping? Many Tarantulas will be okay at that temperature.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I like the idea of having a space dedicated to keeping your Ts . I keep mine in a back bedroom that no one uses or really even goes into . But it isn't for temperature or humidity control . It's for prying eyes and hands control . Your Ts should be keep in a place where they aren't going to be at risk from the curious . A walk-in closet would be great for that . I would go so far as to put a lock on the door . I would be a little cautious of placing a heat source in such a small space . If there is no AC vent in the closet then they will be fine . In my T room I just closed off the AC vent and and stays pretty warm in there . Granted I live in South Carolina and we hit a 100 degrees every day . Keep in mind that if you cut a big hole in the door then you are sort of defeating the heat control aspect of the closet . Your Ts won't suffocate if you keep the door closed all the time . Just opening the door daily just to check them will provide more then enough exchange of air . As @darkness975 inquired , a list of the species you are keeping will help a little with giving advice on temperature and humidity as that does vary greatly depending on each Ts individual husbandry needs . Hope this helps .

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
72-77 is perfectly fine for most species. 68 is on the cooler end of what I would keep. Usually temps in my room never drop below 72. A small spaceheater should do the job just fine. About hunidity: I would be careful. Not all species like it that humid and if you keep you closet at 70-80% humidity more than likely you will get mold on your walls.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A small ceramic space heater will get the job done. Most have built in thermostats and tip over safety feature, look for those. Avoid placing directly on carpet just in case of a malfunction. Better safe than sorry.
I wouldn't install a vent in the door, defeats the purpose of heating the closet. Plenty of air for them to breath, plus opening the door will give an air exchange.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My animals are all housed in a 10' x 12' shed. I use a 220 volt electric baseboard heater. It is controlled with a digital wall mount thermostat. Temp. remains stable even in sub zero winters. A similar set up should work in your closet.
You will need to experiment with the humidity. A simple bathroom vent fan works well for me.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
My main reason for doing this is because I have a really wild and curious bengal cat and I can see getting into Ts again would be a challenge unless closed off, I am going to try to set up a cat proof display for my living room where I might house a big LP salmon bird eater, or possibly an elaborate aborial terrarium set up for a pokie. Maybe P. metallica. In the walk in closet I would mainly be raising slings, but probably a few other adults and sub adults.
Probably some B. emilia (Indian painted), GBBs, pokies of various types, some baboons: OBT, king, horned, etc. Chinese frawn, maybe some avics of various species. Room stays super cold in summer, relatively moderate during winter months.
Thing is I thought about the space heater, but the room is carpeted, how do you guys feel about heat tape on the wall just above the shelves where the Ts will be kept?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
There is no such thing a cat proof T enclosure . Once your cat gets the notion that there is something small crawling around inside that enclosure it's gonna work out away to get in . Cats and Ts simply don't mix and the usual outcome is an furry eight legged snack for your cat . What experience do you have as far Ts go , if you don't mind me asking . Baboons are very unforgiving . They pack quite a punch when it comes to bites and they possess crazy speed when they get out . By Chinese fawn is assume you mean Chilobrachys guangxiensis . They also are a T that can be a bit on the not-so-nice side when they want to .

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
+1 to Boris, and what is the Indian Painted? The use of common names worries me.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
A B.emilia is a Mexican Redleg . I think Indian Painted sounds like a LPS name for a Poecilotheria regalis . I will admit that I'm not a pokie fan so I am just guessing .

Sana

Arachnoprince
It takes most folks time to learn the proper scientific names. It took me quite a while and a lot of google while reading the boards to know what everyone was talking about. @Ceymann it sounds like you're in the earlier stages of the hobby so I'm going to give advice from that standpoint. I mean no offense if I'm incorrect. The use of the closet sounds like a wonderful idea given your particular type of cat especially. I keep digital thermometers scattered around the room that I keep my tarantulas in at multiple heights to be aware of the temperature where any enclosure is at. These also have a hygrometer feature to them. I don't use the hygrometer feature much at all since I work with humidity inside individual enclosures rather then in the room as a whole. There isn't a tarantula that I have yet encountered that requires a number specific humidity. For heating I use a space heater with a shut off feature if it is tipped over. Mine has sat on carpet in the past and will be again this winter and I haven't had any trouble with it. The difference between my setup and a closet is that mine is my bedroom so I'm in and out multiple times a day and monitor temps and check the heater out of habit. With a closet I think I would go with a heater with an adjustable thermostat feature. While you're working with the new setup of the closet and fine tuning things I would recommend sticking to hardier NW terrestrial species that are more forgiving of mistakes. Controlling humidity in individual enclosures while controlling heat in an enclosed space can be a little tricky and may take a while to perfect.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
I kept tarantulas since I was alot younger, also worked at a LPS through highschool where i regularly had to deal with some very aggressive Ts while unboxing and transferring, i was bit by a P. regalis once during transfer, it shot up my arm and my knee jerk reaction was to grab it. Working there I delt with many of the spiders i listed. I got out of the hobby in college and became a reefkeeping addict these past few decades. I now however, would like to also pick up T collecting again as well, so I'm not a complete newbie with Ts, however back when I was really into them (96-05) I never bothered to learn the Latin names. So I do have some learning in that dept. I believe in my ability to keep difficult species of Ts happy, and providing an appropriate environment. If I can make a Acropora go from a frag to a dinner plate colony in 1 year in my SPS reef aquarium Im sure I can keep even the most demanding T successfully.
Now enough for tooting my own horn,
Best question to ask is next is, is there a preferred brand/model of thermostat out there? I use a ranco two stage on my reef, good enough probably? I'm also aware that some thermos need to be calibrated using a very precise lab grade thermometer that I have on hand.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
If I can make a Acropora go from a frag to a dinner plate colony in 1 year in my SPS reef aquarium Im sure I can keep even the most demanding T successfully.
Everybody that gripes about rose hairs needs to knock it off , Acropora literally are pet rocks :happy: . Seriously though , I say if you feel like you can handle them then get the Ts that appeal to you . It sounds to me like you are putting your best foot forward .

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I kept tarantulas since I was alot younger, also worked at a LPS through highschool where i regularly had to deal with some very aggressive Ts while unboxing and transferring, i was bit by a P. regalis once during transfer, it shot up my arm and my knee jerk reaction was to grab it. Working there I delt with many of the spiders i listed. I got out of the hobby in college and became a reefkeeping addict these past few decades. I now however, would like to also pick up T collecting again as well, so I'm not a complete newbie with Ts, however back when I was really into them (96-05) I never bothered to learn the Latin names. So I do have some learning in that dept. I believe in my ability to keep difficult species of Ts happy, and providing an appropriate environment. If I can make a Acropora go from a frag to a dinner plate colony in 1 year in my SPS reef aquarium Im sure I can keep even the most demanding T successfully.
Now enough for tooting my own horn,
Best question to ask is next is, is there a preferred brand/model of thermostat out there? I use a ranco two stage on my reef, good enough probably? I'm also aware that some thermos need to be calibrated using a very precise lab grade thermometer that I have on hand.
thermometers are a waste of money. i used to use one for my room just so i could see what the temps are at certain times, it broke months ago and i havent had a issue. 70-80 is prefect for all Ts. anything higher is unnecessary and uncomfortable for the keeper. learning scientific names is a must to be taken seriously and it lets other keepers know what youre talking about. i use space heater for my T room, its on a timer so i can keep the temps perfect.

cold blood

Staff member
Thing is I thought about the space heater, but the room is carpeted
I don't get the correlation between a space heater and carpeting. I use an oil filled that sits on carpet, its on 27/7 from October till June and off and on all summer. I'd just use a space heater on a low or lowest setting.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't get the correlation between a space heater and carpeting.
I think people are worried about starting house fires. ;)

I use a little heater with built in thermostat and a separate thermometer to gauge the temperature. I have it so the max it gets in my closet is 84°F for the tarantulas near the heater and 82°F for those further away.

Keep in mind that if you use a space heater, it will dry the air more quickly. Be sure to keep an eye on those water dishes (especially the slings). I put a humidifier in my closet on a timer just to slow the water dish evaporation.

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't get the correlation between a space heater and carpeting.
I am the most paranoid person you will meet, especially about fire. Any chance of tipping, and igniting something is out for me. UL certified baseboard heater and thermostat are as close to comfort as I can get.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
Boris-
Oh if you know Acropora, you know it's far more demanding in care than most spiders. Super sensitive genus, back in the mid 90s, if you kept acropora alive, much less grew it, you were pretty much considered a rocket scientist.

Venom-
I do understand the importance of Latin name usage when discussing inverts, confusion is easy among common names in my main hobby ( coral collecting/growing) I believe my proficiency in coral ID/Latin names will help me catch on quick with Inverts. I have found feeding videos on YouTube to be very helpful with this, also rooting through storage to try to find my copy of Care and breeding of tarantulas and scorpions book by phillipe' devejous (sp?). However, so old I'm sure it's been outdated as I am aware there are many changes in coral classification I'm sure it's no different than with Ts.

All aside, I own 0 Ts at the moment, just brushing up on my education and getting my space prepared so I can provide an optimum environment for my future Ts.
I know better than to impulse buy before being prepared to provide the best care possible.
Thank you all for the ideas, looking into wiring a Ranco thermostat to a baseboard heating system.

Also another idea/inquiry (criticism welcome) I travel alot and am thinking of a possible irrigation system using a perlistic dosing pump, being able to dose a ML or two of water per day into larger enclosures to help with humidity?
Most I am usually gone for is about 10 days at most. Thoughts?

Also thanks to all for the ideas, patience and feedback!

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Also another idea/inquiry (criticism welcome) I travel alot and am thinking of a possible irrigation system using a perlistic dosing pump, being able to dose a ML or two of water per day into larger enclosures to help with humidity?
Most I am usually gone for is about 10 days at most. Thoughts?
10 days didn't seem too bad unless they're super tiny slings.

If you test it out first to make sure it won't accidentally overfill the bowls, I suppose that could work. It sounds pretty expensive where a larger water dish (or two) might solve the problem.

I've also heard Poec54 talk about bagging enclosures before a trip to reduce evaporation.