Temp cycles.

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm thinking of trying temperature cycles with my desert species - A. bicolor, P. trans, and maybe my H. spadix -by keeping one end quite warm during the day and letting it turn off to whatever the temp in the room is. In this season, the temps fluctuate between the mid to high 70s at night. I've seen some keepers do this with desert species, but provide 24-hour heat for tropical species, like Emps (I guess they don't have winter in their natural habitat).

Good idea?

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm thinking of trying temperature cycles with my desert species - A. bicolor, P. trans, and maybe my H. spadix -by keeping one end quite warm during the day and letting it turn off to whatever the temp in the room is. In this season, the temps fluctuate between the mid to high 70s at night. I've seen some keepers do this with desert species, but provide 24-hour heat for tropical species, like Emps (I guess they don't have winter in their natural habitat).

Good idea?
Yes. Only thing you have to worry about is humidity (at least with the H. Spadix not sure about the other ones). How humid is your room? When the heat from the lamp is not there to evaporate the extra humidity you might run into fungal issues with the desert hairy.