Tedious….

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
Hello all,

I am about tearing my hair out in the attempt to keep the humidity in my Heterometrus' cage in the desired range. By hand misting four or five times a day, I can keep it at about 80%. I also have 2/3rd's or so of the screen covered in an attempt to help maintain this level.

However, because I am sometimes away, I invested in a Monsoon, which arrived 24 hours ago and already one of the nozzles isn't misting anymore just sending out a stream. I set it to mist every 3 hours for 90 seconds. The humidity has DROPPED to 45-50%!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE someone advise me as the the best known method for dealing with keeping humidity levels at peak. I am also returning the Monsoon and investing in a Mistking, unless someone tells me to save my money and shows me a proven method of maintaing optimum humidity.

Thank you all in advance

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Live plants that transpire and create a humid microclimate? Some kind of vine that thrives in ambient light that you can train and keep safe from the scorpion's 'rototilling'?

Instead of misting, try using a syringe pipette to inject water deep into the substrate, that way the humidity will be more constant, i suppose.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
What are you measuring the humidity with? If your using an analog gauge that's your problem they tend to be terribly inaccurate.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ime, keeping the whole cage at a high humidity isn't real important. As long as the substrate is moist and there is a hole to go in or something to hide under it should be fine. You can also cover the whole top with whatever it is you are using, don't worry about an O2 shortage, there are enough cracks around tops to allow for that. You could put a small potted plant in there too. I tape a heat pad on the side with an inch or two of it going below the substrate surface. It heats the moist soil creating more humidity.

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
Live plants that transpire and create a humid microclimate?

Thank you. I will take that advice. I've got an order of isopods on the way, as well, so maybe they will help offset any potential bacteria and mites. Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 09:15 PM ----------

ime, keeping the whole cage at a high humidity isn't real important. As long as the substrate is moist and there is a hole to go in or something to hide under it should be fine. You can also cover the whole top with whatever it is you are using, don't worry about an O2 shortage, there are enough cracks around tops to allow for that

Thank you for this information. I've heard this before, but, being that their natural habitat is so humid and tropical, I was under the impression a lot of moisture in the air is just as important. Although, if this is what they really liked, so to speak, then I imagine they wouldn't spend so much time underground and away from the "air".

Thank you for helping me rest my nerves :)

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 09:17 PM ----------

If your using an analog gauge that's your problem they tend to be terribly inaccurate.

I am using the analog stick on type, yes. I will look into a digital one now, though. Thank you

shebeen

Arachnobaron
Save your money. You don't need either the humidity gauge or the mister. As long as you keep the substrate damp, the humidity in the air will be fine. You can either pour water directly on the substrate when it needs it (once a week or so), or, you can employ a "false bottom" in your enclosure.

A false bottom in this context is nothing more than a 1-2 inch layer of gravel in the bottom of your tank that the substrate sits on. Some people place a piece of aluminum window screen over the gravel to prevent it from being excavated by the scorpion. Water is added to the gravel layer through a fill tube and is slowly wicked up into the substrate by capillary action. Just search for "false bottom enclosure" and you find lots of examples.

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
thank you, Shebeen! This does put my fears to rest. If I install a false bottom, which after some more research on the subject does sound like the way to go, I'm wondering how to avoid the water stagnating or ending up with that sulfur smell from bacteria I encountered once before when I apparently over watered the substrate :( Will this issue be avoided simply by the capillary action you mention? I'm thinking so. And as a safe "experiment", if you will, I turned the mister off last night as well as the IR 75watt (, though it may sound a heavy wattage, it's a 29 long and I'm in New York so at times I utilize it to help keep temp and humidity up) and it is now 15 hours later and the humidity (according to the analog gauges) is a steady 85% and 75 temp. I'm going to watch it for the next 12 hours to see if it remains the same. Also, one of my girls, Xena, is napping out of her burrow by a cork log, which is a rarity as in the past she seemed to prefer remaining in her burrow, perhaps because it was cooler and moister in there. I'm hoping 70-75 as temp is okay for them… with maybe a higher climb on the occasion….

I checked their natural habitat climate and seasonal changes and am wondering, since I don't know if these are captive bred or wild caught and sold, if I shouldn't be trying to replicate those changes myself. A lot of worrying I know, but that's me. Thank you so much for all your help. I truly appreciate the feedback.

shebeen

Arachnobaron
You don't need to have water sitting in the gravel layer all the time. You only need to add water when your substrate starts to dry. This will vary depending on substrate depth, ventilation, heating, climate and other factors. I like to use coco fiber for substrate. It retains moisture, holds burrows and you can tell at a glance if it's dry or moist. I use an IR lamp with a dimmer for heating. I try to keep one end of the enclosure around 85F and the other end at room temp (~70F). While it's never a bad idea to try to replicate natural conditions, it's often impractical. As long as you keep your scorpion warm and provide it damp substrate and a place to hide, it should do fine.

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
Hello all,

I am about tearing my hair out in the attempt to keep the humidity in my Heterometrus' cage in the desired range. By hand misting four or five times a day, I can keep it at about 80%. I also have 2/3rd's or so of the screen covered in an attempt to help maintain this level.

However, because I am sometimes away, I invested in a Monsoon, which arrived 24 hours ago and already one of the nozzles isn't misting anymore just sending out a stream. I set it to mist every 3 hours for 90 seconds. The humidity has DROPPED to 45-50%!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE someone advise me as the the best known method for dealing with keeping humidity levels at peak. I am also returning the Monsoon and investing in a Mistking, unless someone tells me to save my money and shows me a proven method of maintaing optimum humidity.

Thank you all in advance
Once a week, I water the soil. I have hyrdo clay balls under the substrate to help prevent mold. I use Reptifoggers programmed to run 3x/day as well. Pricey but I could not fathom trying to maintain the humidity levels for my tropical inverts without out it. I also was disappointed in the Monsoon btw.