Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So we were in a pawn shop the other day and came across this made for TV movie, called Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo. It was only $2.65 (CAN) so we were like what the heck, it'll give us a good laugh. And that it did.

The movie is about these guys who are bringing back tons of coffee beans from Ecuador back to the States and unbeknownst to them, there isn't just coffee in the burlap sacs...dun dun dun!
So their plane goes down because the pilot gets bit by a B. smithi and dies. Yes, you read that right...a smithi...and he dies. Anyway, so basically now this small town (where the plane landed) is now infested with B. smithis and MM Aphonopelma sp. Oh no. So countless people die and so on. They finally catch one of the T's (a smithi) and brings it to some scientist guy, who then goes on to say that it isn't a "true tarantula"...it's a Phoneutria nigriventer, the deadliest spider on earth (according to them). This is after this woman says "there are no such thing as poisonous tarantulas, right?"

So after that absurdity, they're trying to figure out a way to get all the T's (which have taken over this orange warehouse, because picking oranges is a big thing in this town). Then the main character reads in a book that "Phoneutria, tarantula, enter a state of suspended animation when they hear the flying of the tarantula hawk wasp." Then they get this brilliant idea to play the sound of wasps flying over an amp in the warehouse, which will immobilize the T's and then they can pick them up with long tongs and put them in buckets of alcohol, thus killing them. They lure the T's to this big pile of orange peels covered in bugs, because the scientist guy tells them to do this, since the T's are sure to be hungry and orange peels covered in insects will surely lure ALL of them out. Oh, and there's surely a scene where one B. smithi is eating another one. They used real T's, so I can only imagine how much cannibalism there was.

This movie was ridiculous to say the least, but it's really good for a laugh, so I suggest watching it if you can get a hold of it. Sorry for such a long post, but I figured I'd share. The cover has a picture of a terrifying G. rosea on it (none of which are even in the movie) and the tagline is: Terror has 8 legs. Yeah.

-Cass

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahaaha, I gotta find the movie {D

Im quite impress in that movie they talked about a Phoneutria. Thats quite a lot of Googling to do for that movie.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hahaaha, I gotta find the movie {D

Im quite impress in that movie they talked about a Phoneutria. Thats quite a lot of Googling to do for that movie.
The movie was from 1977. So they actually did some kind of research, crazy.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ha,I have seen this movie and want the 90 minutes of my life back.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The movie was from 1977. So they actually did some kind of research, crazy.
Amazing {D

They might had one of us spider geeks among their camera crew {D

Edit: But they didnt ask him enouhgh,because the wasp thing was priceless.

tjmi2000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I remember watching this movie with my Dad when I was a kid and even then I knew it was a load of crap. I seem to recall being entertained by the whole thing however.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm gong to have to find this movie...I love B-horror films, and I like T's. Furthermore, I also enjoy having a good laugh over "Terrifying B. smithi" scenes in movies and TV shows. Sounds like a winner all around!!!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought I was the only one who falls down and starts rolling when I hold my smithi. At least I know I'm not alone.
She's lucky it was'nt a terrifying avicularia.
Lol yeah. I remember when one took out the guy in eight legged freaks {D

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One time I caught a part of a movie on tv and b smithi were falling out of a cupboard or something and somone started hitting them with a frying pan. I was like this is terrible they are crushing like $4000 dollars worth of b smithi. :eek:

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
all those smithi's! what did they do with them? i want 'em! :p i hate movies like that they make people needlessly hate T's and they give them the wrong ipression of spiders in general...:barf:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... i hate movies like that they make people needlessly hate T's and they give them the wrong ipression of spiders in general...:barf:
How many animals have you learned to hate or fear because you saw them in a grade B monster movie? Although these movies do portray spiders and other animals in strange ways, I suspect most people who fear or dislike spiders after seeing these movies already feared or disliked them long before seeing the movies.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another good one is "kingdom of the spiders", will shatner covered in T's {D

Big_nito

TRISKELION
Old Timer
If this is a true to life story, ill go to that place and get ad many B. Smithi as I can. Lol!!!:D;P:D

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How many animals have you learned to hate or fear because you saw them in a grade B monster movie? Although these movies do portray spiders and other animals in strange ways, I suspect most people who fear or dislike spiders after seeing these movies already feared or disliked them long before seeing the movies.
Definitely. The psychological reasons people fear spiders and other inverts go deeper than seeing poorly-made movies. I'm not a psychologist, but I do play one on television.