Tarantulas that attack water drops

HARLEY-XLH666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I want to get another tarantula and am looking for a species that is known for chasing and attacking water droplets. When I put a few drops in front of the rose hair it just runs away to the hide and a. seemani could care less. I have never been able to get either one to exhibit this behavior. Any recommendations on ones that will do this?? NW or OW doesn't matter but prefer NW and must be terrestrial.

(And yes I already know the reason the rose hair runs is because it hates water)

secular

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well, that's an interesting request. i guess when i think about how it goes with my collection the two top "water dish attackers" would be A. geniculata and P. cancerides. both big, like to eat, and hang out near their dishes... hehe.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well, that's an interesting request. i guess when i think about how it goes with my collection the two top "water dish attackers" would be A. geniculata and P. cancerides. both big, like to eat, and hang out near their dishes... hehe.
I agree, also king baboon and cobalt blue.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yeah I would imagine a colbat will attack just about anything moving.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For me the biggest "water chasers" are P. cancerides, G. pulchra, and my G rosea dosn't really snap at the water but she has to go see what going on.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Rosea attacks the water I pour into the dish. She'll even sit there with one foot floating on the water. She'll stay there for awhile too.

whitehaze2008

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
haha

i think its important to point out to any new people here
we are not talking about the T's actually atacking the water out of meaness but thinking its food.
My brazilian giant white knee would do this almost EVERY time i watered her. Kinda adds to there personality.

Its cool haha
David

ILoveHotDogs

Arachnopeon
My juvenile cobalt blue goes nuts when I spray a bit of water in his enclosure and will chase down the water, but then look for where it comes from. He won't drink from his dish much but seems to enjoy the water on the side of the container.

Or hunting it. I can't tell yet.

chandlermonster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My H. Minax used to attack water droplets all the time, every time. It was also out a lot more than my H. Lividum so there were more opportunities to see him go ape. Awesome super aggressive T, good luck trying to find one though!

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Believe it or not, my a.seemani is the biggest Defender of the Waterdish I've ever seen. Well, one of them. Luna will run the other way any time she even thinks I'm going to open her tank. Stella, on the other hand, is very curious and wants to see whatever it is I'm doing. That's especially true when I want to change out her water. She definitely makes sure that I know it's hers. She'll stick her front feet in it and just sit there, I usually have to coax her away from it just to get it from her. It's all good though, that's why I love her! :D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
For me the biggest "water chasers" are P. cancerides, G. pulchra, and my G rosea dosn't really snap at the water but she has to go see what going on.
This is going to sound crazy but I can hold my P. cancerides, she sometimes puts up a threat pose but she is pretty docile....but if prey is near its history she will nail it with out hesitation. I did get bit by her a week ago but she wasnt after me....a cricket crawled on my hand when I was doing maintence and she nailed the cricket that was on my hand...she didn't get me very good.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
My rose usually gets pretty pissed whenever she senses me pouring water into her bowl. She will try to attack it, but run off when she gets wet.

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is going to sound crazy but I can hold my P. cancerides, she sometimes puts up a threat pose but she is pretty docile.
My cancerides are pretty viscous but I can hold my Phormictopus sp. "cubensis" without much threat display. Its pretty cool.

For attacking the water drops, I will have to say my Nhandu collortavalosum is probrably my most reliable.

--Chris

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
if you want something to look "cool" to attack water droplets (i will admit, i like to see a few of mine throw up threat displays at water;) ), you will probably want a T that is not constantly in it's burrow. i'm sure my lividum and crawshayi would go for the droplets with the best of em, but they're never out, and they go diving for their holes whenever i come near. my best are my cancerides and vagans. just go with something NW, as it will be on top and ready more often. and it also varies with the individual spider too;) i have a rosea that used to go just absolute nuts, and then a couple that don't give a care...:rolleyes:

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just lask week, I witnessed my dealer's Male L parahybana attacking the water being poured into his water bowl.

Pretty cool.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just by the number of different species in the replies I'm sure you can see that it depends on the T. I have a G. rosea that attacks the water violently if I fill her dish from a sprayer, but not if I just pour it in slowly. She runs out of her hide, throws an attack posture and then attacks the water from the sprayer (set on stream so as not to get her substrate wet which she hates{D ). I have a B. emelia which will occasionally do this as well.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
T's in my collection that attck the water:

- 2 of my P. murinus
- P. scrofa
- G. rosea
- C. marshalli

Others have investigated but the ones above have stayed and "battled" with the water.

The water is in a small stream and is not too fast or pulsing, this may keep the T's there longer.
I use a modified pesticide applicator, the kind you pump up the air pressure, and a hose attachment.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My B. vagans is a water killer. If I pour water in she doesn't seem to mind much. If I use a spray bottle on "stream" to fill it she comes alive. That one is always hungry it seems. Good luck.