Tarantulas in Atlanta?

New Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but, if not, I guess it'll be moved.

I am going to Atlanta in a few weeks and was wondering if there were any good places to buy tarantulas? Thanks in advance.

Daywalker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i would say no .
there are a few petlands and petco's in atlanta that have tarantulas once in a while and that's it that i know of.
if you want a rosea or an a. avic , you may be able to find one . if your lucky you may find a b. smithi . these stores do not stock much in the way of tarantulas.
most of the mom-pop pet stores have long closed in north ga. , all we have are petco's,petlands and petsmarts . :wall:

Stealth Taco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, if you want a better stock in tarantulas, head outside atlanta, but the mom and pops are quite hard to find.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
We've got one little mom-and-pop shop in North Georgia, right near the TN border (about 1.5 - 2 hours from Atlanta). It doesn't have a huge selection, but it carries several OW species.

Daywalker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Becca81
whats the name of this pet shop and do you have the telephone number ?
i live in canton , still a long drive but may be worth my while and time if they have a T that's on my want list .
thanks
Bill

Psoulocybe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm in atlanta, and would love a decent pet shop around here. I've been looking for about a year, and have come up with nothing though.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's called "Get Tanked" and is in Rossville, GA. The store itself is probably about 1/2 mile from the TN border.

I haven't been in for a couple of months, but they had H. lividum (nice large female for $20), P. murinus, G. rosea, and what seemed to be Haplopelma spp. "Vietnam."

I bought one of the Haplopelma spp. "Vietnam" even thought it was WC and not in great condition (it's been doing well since I got it). The owner will order for you if you call ahead and the prices aren't horrible.

Another place that occasionally gets some beginner Ts in and will order others is "Exotic Fish and Pets" in Fort Oglethorpe, GA. These two stores are only about 15 minutes from one another.

Stealth Taco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well if you feel like driving down to Columbus, there is a mom and pop called "Tropical Treasures" They occassionally get some great ones in, my brother got a P. Murinus, and I bought a A. Seemani from them. Usuaully doesn't get better than that though.

Dekejis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also live in Atlanta. I haven't seen anyplace that sells Ts other than the poor fellows at Petland/PetCo. Although there seem to be a few hobbyists here! Are there any local T clubs or groups here anyone?

Daywalker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think this mb is as close to a atlanta club as it gets for T's {D :p :rolleyes: :p {D
if you want to find out who the georgia members are , start a post "who here is from georgia . who knows maybe you can start a georgia gang so people here in georgia can meet and trade and sell their T's to other members :cool:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd love to get to know other members who are from Georgia. I'm in the very north part of GA, about 1.5 hours from Atlanta and there isn't anyone else near me that I know of in the hobby.

Daywalker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well becca it looks like i may be the closet to you , me being in canton .
i also don't know of anyone else interested in T's in north georgia . :?
how many T's do you have ?
i will have 12 and 3 more should be here by tuesday .

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've heard of Canton - is that just north of Atlanta?

I currently have 25 and have some more coming soon to use in a project.

Daywalker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
becca
canton "Cherokee county" is due east of cartersville . or about 25 to 30 miles north of atlanta off 575 .

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know exactly where you are. I dated a guy who lived in Woodstock in high school - I remember Canton being nearby. You're only a little over an hour from me.

Dekejis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used to have a friend who lived in Woodstock. I myself live over in Brookhaven, which is fairly close to Buckhead. I've got (it's been a while since I've counted) maybe 80-100 critters.

Psoulocybe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dekejis, I work in buckhead, but live in midtown. I am just getting back into the hobby, just ordered 2 Ts due to arrive next week :)

Dekejis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome! I just moved out of midtown (I lived over on Peachtree near the park). too many critters to stuff in a 1 room condo..
Perhaps it would be cool to have an Atlanta based group,maybe like a yahoo group or something? Anyone else interested?

Psoulocybe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd be interested for sure. I'd think it would be wise to not limit it to tarantulas... maybe just exotics in general.