Tarantulas dying after molting.

ArchMage

Arachnopeon
This thread shredded my face with beautiful info, what do you guys think of Tarantula Kat? Just wondering, I never knew that stuff about Exotics lair and the dark den (I hate exotics lair anyway, his voice is so pesky)
I watch a few different channels mostly for entertainment reasons and observing species I don't have (or plan to get). I'd say for pure information, these boards are the best and most resourceful since it's been around for so long and has a huge diversity of veteran keepers. As for Youtube, here is how I would personally recommend them:

Best: Tom Moran - Probably the best and most informative YT channel on tarantulas. Has a bastion of husbandry, solid advice, and a lot of experience. Most important, a lot of respect for the hobby and the animals.
2nd Up: The Tarantula Collective - Not quite as informative or experienced but takes the hobby seriously and respects his animals. Seems to have a lot of passion and researches any new species he gets.

More entertainment rather than educative: Dark Den/Tarantula Kat - I put these two in the same category as I've seen them both do questionable husbandry or caretaking from my limited knowledge. I've admittedly watched more DD than TK but their information videos are roughly the same IMHO. Their humor can also be a bit cringe at times as comedy is subjective.

Pure entertainment, little information: Exotics Lair - His videos should be viewed as pure entertainment outside of a few very specific videos that aren't tied to tarantula husbandry (ex: Dubia roaches, OW vs NW, etc). I tend to give him a bit more of a pass though since he has admitted multiple times on his videos that he isn't that knowledgeable about the hobby and is still learning as he goes, along with being a big channel which is naturally sparking more interest in overall tarantula keeping. He does a lot of careless mistakes though, particularly with his rehousing methods (as someone above mentioned, his OBT video where the spider drops from several feet at least 2 times or not being properly prepared for OW transfers). Just like above, his humor/editing can be a bit cringe as well but that is up to the individual watching. I do enjoy his feeding videos and his vast collection size but highly suggest people to take husbandry info with a grain of salt and defer to either the forums or Tom Moran for solid info.

Again, this is just IMO so maybe others feel differently. These are the main tarantula channels I watch here and there so can't comment on others. Hope this helps!

-----------
Also, to be on topic. It does sound like it's husbandry issues. Stuffy and dank conditions would be my guess since having multiple T's die after a molt is a rare natural occurrence when working in captivity. Hopefully you can isolate the problem to ensure the rest survive. Part of the hobby is it being a learning experience and growing as a keeper. Take the information being offered by the veteran keepers here to heart and your animals should thrive. I've been a long time lurker and thanks to a lot of posts on this forum my first T many years ago was able to live a long and healthy life before succumbing to being a MM. Wish the best for you, cheers!

Poonjab

Arachnoking
@PalWalken seems receptive enough. Good advice was given. I trust he will make appropriate changes. Good luck dude. Keep us posted on how it goes.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
The box is TOO DAMN SMALL and the WRONG CONFIGURATION. Geez house your damn animals in an appropriate setup for christ sake.
Viper, I must admit that in average, your postings feel a wee bit too gloomy-doomy for my personal taste. In this case, however, I think you had the font size too small with too little caps. At first I thought that photo was an April Fool's joke. I have a GBB roughly that size, maybe a bit bigger. She's in a W40xD30xH30 cm (16x12x12 '') terrarium with a bunch of sticks and roots. And a bigger one (W20xD14xH12 '') is already set up, waiting for her to molt. I have come to the conclusion she'd appreciate that bigger enclosure watching her behaviour, which leads me to go off on...

...Tangent #1:
Sure, tarantulas can live in sparsely furnished, somewhat small enclosures. And much has been said about them not being "intelligent" enough to appreciate a richer environment. Even more has been said about them not needing a lot of floor space, because they are inactive by nature. While both these opinions hold a good amount of validity, observations I made suggest that this is only part of the truth. Give a GBB a handful of dry leaves, for example. You will likely see that they start to collect those leaves one by one and incorporate them into their web castle. On the one hand, there's the "Keep it simple" folklore. On the other hand, tarantulas are regarded as "doing little to nothing at all". What I am suggesting is: "Keep it less simple, give your animals more space, a richer environment (leaves, different substrate textures, patches of dry moss or bark on the floor, etc.), and you will start observing that they actually DO things - i.e. they will show more varied behaviour.
This - if true - has some inconvenient implications, because it means you as a keeper need to give a little more thought into your setups, you need more shelf space per tarantula, you will have more trouble with maintenance, feeding, etc.. The rewards for all the hassle are: a relaxed spider, more behaviour to observe, cooler web castles, and in many cases a more visible spider. If a spider is put into a box with a single cork bark hide and a tiny flat 2D surface of dirt, it is not surprising that they don't do much more than sit in that hide. There is nothing to interact with, no alternative places to choose from - nothing.
Now, does that mean that I believe tarantulas need more "entertainment"? As in "ping pong balls"? Heck, no! They're not smart. They have no feelings. They have a program running in their tiny brains. Giving them a richer environment just means that they have the opportunity to execute a few more lines of the code than otherwise. Nonetheless, I believe that the animal as well as the keeper will profit if the animal HAS the opportunity.

And while we're at it... Tangent #2: Youtubers.
I think it is too easy to just steamroll over any youtube reference with the term "stupidtube". Of course there are youtubers out there who are utterly horrible when it comes to husbandry information. But frankly - at the end of the day it is the user / aspiring tarantula keeper who is responsible for her/his own actions. For example: If you watch Exotics Lair videos and seriously believe you have just learned anything about how to keep tarantula species X or Y, then there is something seriously wrong with your critical thinking skills. Personally, this scares me much more than the fact that such channels exist. Youtube has a search function. It takes nothing more than typing "How to care for species X", and you will very very likely end up with a Tom's Big Spiders or Dave's Little Beasties video very high in the list of suggestions - and no Youtube algorithm can do anything about that. But even this most basic research tool seems to be beyond many people.
Even if the first 10 video suggestions are all Exotic's Lair, watching a few minutes of each video should lead any user to the conclusion that those videos do not answer any husbandry questions the user might have in mind. Which, in turn, should lead the user to more focussed research. If that doesn't happen, then that user (a) has had no questions in mind, or (b) has no intent to really learn how to successfully keep that particular animal. Either way, that's the scary part for me.
In another corner of this forum, there recently was a discussion about the fact that no really up-to-date tarantula husbandry book is available anywhere on the planet. If I had my way, I would invite Tom Moran, Dave from Dave's Little Beasties and Martin from birdspidersCH into a cabin in the woods, then lock them in and throw the key away. Then I'd make them discuss some details in the differences of their husbandry practices and on this common ground make them write a book together. That would be a great book. All three are Youtubers...

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
“In another corner of this forum, there recently was a discussion about the fact that no really up-to-date tarantula husbandry book is available anywhere on the planet. If I had my way, I would invite Tom Moran, Dave from Dave's Little Beasties and Martin from birdspidersCH into a cabin in the woods, then lock them in and throw the key away. Then I'd make them discuss some details in the differences of their husbandry practices and on this common ground make them write a book together. That would be a great book. All three are Youtubers”...

Yes! That’s perfect. I would buy a copy.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@KaroKoenig I wish that setup was April fools. I use a lot of hyperbole to make my point. I used to provide longer, softer answers. Now I write “it may die” to get my point across, and because whatever I’m observing fits with my observations as real possibility.

Tough love here Karo! Great post by you, esp the part about having a more relaxed T because it will feel more secure.

“In another corner of this forum, there recently was a discussion about the fact that no really up-to-date tarantula husbandry book is available anywhere on the planet. If I had my way, I would invite Tom Moran, Dave from Dave's Little Beasties and Martin from birdspidersCH into a cabin in the woods, then lock them in and throw the key away. Then I'd make them discuss some details in the differences of their husbandry practices and on this common ground make them write a book together. That would be a great book. All three are Youtubers”...

Yes! That’s perfect. I would buy a copy.
Martin makes very nice setups. But he’s a European, and that is the norm for them. The finest T setups in general, ie most realistic to nature, come out of EU far more than other parts of the world.

The only exotic animal hobby in the US that equals is PDF one to my knowledge.

Last edited:

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
Tough love here Karo!
I'm an old fart. I've been around on a number of forums since forums are a thing. I've see friendlier forums than this one, but Great Zombie Jesus - more often than not, I have seen much much worse as well. So, this one, hyperbolic posts like yours taken into account... pretty average, I'd say. Right in the comfort zone. Not too fluffy, not too crisp.

Great post by you
Why, thank you very much :).

Martin makes very nice setups.
In my dream book project, he would also be responsible for all the sciency stuff... evolution, ecology, anatomy and taxonomy.

PalWalken

Arachnopeon
I did some thinking and there's one thing that I think is the ultimate culprit for my T's dying. Tap water. I didn't think anything of it, but it must be what killed them. What do you guys think?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I did some thinking and there's one thing that I think is the ultimate culprit for my T's dying. Tap water. I didn't think anything of it, but it must be what killed them. What do you guys think?
Nope tap water didn’t kill it. I use tap water for everything, never had an issue. Unless you’ve got some flint Michigan water, I highly doubt that. I’m not sure but I’d take a guess that most of us use tap water.

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Is it possible? Maybe. Is it likely? No. A lot of people here use tap water. Surprised that with all the wealth of information posted in this thread alone that you’re still trying to peg it on anything other than your husbandry. Took me less than 30 seconds to find threads on here where dozens of people explained that they use tap water with 0 issues.

sk063

Arachnopeon
I fill a container with tap water, leave the lid off for 24 hours so the chlorine evaporates, put lid on and use as needed. Stop trying to rationalize bad decisions, you came here for answers and have been given the answers. Everything you need to know is here somewhere or can be given by many folks with a ton of experience. Take it at face value and don't get your feelings hurt.

Good luck

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I hate to be that guy, but the culprit is poor husbandry practices. They are dying during/post molt due to factors of how they are kept.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Okay, here's where people might start to become pricks. You were warned.

It's not the tap water. I dechlorinate my tap water purely as a paranoid precaution -mostly because I have amphibians as well - but plenty use it for inverts as-is with no issue.

Tarantulas aren't amphibians - they aren't that sensitive to tap water. Unless your water is terrible enough that you NEED to buy bottled water - actually need, not "white people think all tap water is bad" need - it's not the water. (And FYI, the overwhelming majority of bottled water IS straight tap water. Companies buy water from regional treatment plants, throw it in a plastic bottle, and sell it to shlubs that don't know any better)

You're in Bellevue, WA right? It's not your water. I'm a professional in the industry, I've spent more time analyzing tap water in a lab than you've spent "researching" how to care for your animals on YouTube.

You and your husbandry are to blame - nothing else. Either take our advice and improve your care, or get out of the hobby.

Last edited:

PalWalken

Arachnopeon
Is it possible? Maybe. Is it likely? No. A lot of people here use tap water. Surprised that with all the wealth of information posted in this thread alone that you’re still trying to peg it on anything other than your husbandry. Took me less than 30 seconds to find threads on here where dozens of people explained that they use tap water with 0 issues.
Holy crap, I'm making an honest attempt to figure out what the cause was. IF I GAVE THEM TAP WATER and that was what killed them, that would be my fault. That would be part of my husbandry. But from what people are saying, tap water is not a likely cause. So..... it would be the other things I got wrong.

Okay, here's where people might start to become pricks. You were warned.

It's not the tap water. I dechlorinate my tap water purely as a paranoid precaution -mostly because I have amphibians as well - but plenty use it for inverts as-is with no issue.

Tarantulas aren't amphibians - they aren't that sensitive to tap water. Unless your water is terrible enough that you NEED to buy bottled water - actually need, not "white people think all tap water is bad" need - it's not the water. (And FYI, the overwhelming majority of bottled water IS straight tap water. Companies buy water from regional treatment plants, throw it in a plastic bottle, and sell it to shlubs that don't know any better)

You're in Bellevue, WA right? It's not your water. I'm a professional in the industry, I've spent more time analyzing tap water in a lab than you've spent "researching" how to care for your animals on YouTube.

You and your husbandry are to blame - nothing else. Either take our advice and improve your care, or get out of the hobby.
What I use for water would be part of my husbandry. If that was the cause, it would be my fault. I don't look for easy ways out of admitting fault. I try to find answers to see what I got wrong. Since it's definitely not the water as you clarified, it's the other things I got wrong.

I hate to be that guy, but the culprit is poor husbandry practices. They are dying during/post molt due to factors of how they are kept.
It's fine, you have been nothing but respectful. Thanks for the advice.

I fill a container with tap water, leave the lid off for 24 hours so the chlorine evaporates, put lid on and use as needed. Stop trying to rationalize bad decisions, you came here for answers and have been given the answers. Everything you need to know is here somewhere or can be given by many folks with a ton of experience. Take it at face value and don't get your feelings hurt.

Good luck
Not rationalizing, just trying to be sure that wasn't the cause. Thanks for the advice.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Holy crap, I'm making an honest attempt to figure out what the cause was. IF I GAVE THEM TAP WATER and that was what killed them, that would be my fault. That would be part of my husbandry. But from what people are saying, tap water is not a likely cause. So..... it would be the other things I got wrong.
Sorry homie - I meant no disrespect. When you skip a dozen or so responses critiquing your direct husbandy methods and say you think it's the tap water, it appears you're trying to use that as a cop-out. I wasn't the only one to read it this way. Using the search function would have told you it wasn't the tap water fairly quickly.

I'm glad you are more receptive to improving your care than it initially sounded. Best of luck.

PalWalken

Arachnopeon
Sorry homie - I meant no disrespect. When you skip a dozen or so responses critiquing your direct husbandy methods and say you think it's the tap water, it appears you're trying to use that as a cop-out. I wasn't the only one to read it this way. Using the search function would have told you it wasn't the tap water fairly quickly.

I'm glad you are more receptive to improving your care than it initially sounded. Best of luck.
Got you. I appreciate the response. Just new to the site and didn't do a lot of navigation yet. Just asked a few questions so far.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Got you. I appreciate the response. Just new to the site and didn't do a lot of navigation yet. Just asked a few questions so far.
Welcome to AB! and also by the way as far as navigating goes, you can filter what you search/look for by clicking on the search tab/button then clicking advanced search and you can pull stuff from specific locations to pull out only what you want, it is very useful and sometimes under utilized.

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
Tarantula Cribs but he is helllllaaaa expensive, also The Tarantula Collective's Enclosure and supplies storefront <edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

PalWalken

Arachnopeon
Tarantula Cribs but he is helllllaaaa expensive, also The Tarantula Collective's Enclosure and supplies storefront <edit>
He sure is. Yikes. Was looking at that before I saw your post.

Last edited by a moderator: