tarantulas drumming

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I'm very curious about tarantulas drumming. Sometimes when I'm falling asleep at night, I can hear some of my spiders drumming in their enclosures. I am aware that mature males do it to attract mates, but I don't have any mature males at this point. Do females and juveniles do it as well for other reasons (territory, etc)? I think I've noticed one of my females doing it but I wasn't sure if this was common, or it it was a juvenile male making the sounds and i was mistaken. Thanks!

cold blood

Staff member
I've heard of females drumming...but in all my years, the only time I've personally seen a female drum is in the presence of a MM. Mature males drum though, especially arboreals.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Mature males drum though, especially arboreals.
Man, do they ever. I have a mature Poecilotheria metallica male which sounds like he's running a jackhammer in quick bursts, making me rue the day I decided to put him in a hard acrylic/plastic container.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I currently have no mature males and I sometimes hear tapping from the other side of the room, haven't figured out who it is though as they seem to stop when I walk over to investigate.

I did catch my A. geniculata female doing it back when she was around 5", no idea why she was doing it.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My female H. mac does it on occasion, as well as both my P. arboricola females. One of them thought that me patting my cat was a male in the area:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had adult females drumming without precens of males. But this has happened onve or twice. I am not sure why? Many times when i have had both females and adult males of same speicies in cages near each other the females have drummed, but that is because of feromones from the male traveling to female

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I hear drumming that I cannot account for sometimes, but I'm not sure if it is because of mature males. Sometimes the MM is on the other side of the room from the tapping, so I am unsure if the pheromones can reach them from that distance through air holes alone.
I have all my arboreal species in the hard acrylic enclosures and it is unbelievable the amount of noise that they can make in those.

Uial

Arachnosquire
That is so interesting, I never knew females drummed too. None of my tarantulas do, but it seems like a rare thing, and I only have 8 so the possibilities are low. You learn something new every day on here

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm very curious about tarantulas drumming. Sometimes when I'm falling asleep at night, I can hear some of my spiders drumming in their enclosures. I am aware that mature males do it to attract mates, but I don't have any mature males at this point. Do females and juveniles do it as well for other reasons (territory, etc)? I think I've noticed one of my females doing it but I wasn't sure if this was common, or it it was a juvenile male making the sounds and i was mistaken. Thanks!
I've heard of females drumming...but in all my years, the only time I've personally seen a female drum is in the presence of a MM. Mature males drum though, especially arboreals.
I have experienced females drumming a handful of times without mature males present. It's not common but it happens.

Scared me the first time because it was so loud (relatively speaking).

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Yes, it startled me a bit too. I've been trying to find some more information about why females and juveniles would exhibit this behavior, but there's next to no information on it that I can find. They're interesting creatures, that's for sure. There's a lot to learn about them.

MuddyPaintWater

Arachnopeon
Never heard about this behavior till now, but hey if it works for them maybe next time I see my crush I'll just start drumming and banging on things and it'll work out right

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I have two mature males and I've never heard either of them drumming.
Maybe I'm just a really deep sleeper

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Do females and juveniles do it as well for other reasons (territory, etc)? I think I've noticed one of my females doing it but I wasn't sure if this was common, or it it was a juvenile male making the sounds and i was mistaken.
My mature female Psalmopoeus cambridgei has drummed a couple of times despite my not having a male Psalmopoeus. Generally this happened when booting up the computer that is nearby.

My juvenile male Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens used to drum as well.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
My A.genic would do it when she was coming up on a molt.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I currently have no mature males and I sometimes hear tapping from the other side of the room, haven't figured out who it is though as they seem to stop when I walk over to investigate.
As this thread has been brought back up I might as well add that I did eventually catch the culprit, it was an immature male P. metallica