"Tarantulas Can Jump 10 Feet. . ."

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope she corrects that article. Its people like that spreading misinformation that makes such a gentle creature look so terrible.

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I really hope you get an intelligent response. Post it if you can. :)

I had a friend go through my facebook tarantula photo album. On about 10 photos she posted comments like "Eww, gross!" "OMG I am seriously creeped out." "Ahh! Why are you touching it?!" I was beginning to get a little upset over the comments when she posted "How can you tell it is female?" I counted that as a win. I doubt she will ever own a Tarantula, but when you get a specific question to something other than "Why?" they are at least trying.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh my days ... i don't know what's worse.... the myths about tarantulas that aren't true or the uneducated people that spread them

hypnolobster

Arachnopeon
She did actually respond!
Hi Kirby,

Thank you for your email. I wouldn’t mind copying and pasting this into my blog, but can I reference who you are and how you know this? Are you a biologist or something? Let me know, as I would love to help educate people.

Warm Regards,
Donna Harris
It's always good to find people who aren't staunch in their conceptions. :)

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really hope you get an intelligent response. Post it if you can. :)

I had a friend go through my facebook tarantula photo album. On about 10 photos she posted comments like "Eww, gross!" "OMG I am seriously creeped out." "Ahh! Why are you touching it?!" I was beginning to get a little upset over the comments when she posted "How can you tell it is female?" I counted that as a win. I doubt she will ever own a Tarantula, but when you get a specific question to something other than "Why?" they are at least trying.

One of my friends asked me "How can you love or care for something that has more than 2 legs?" I simply replied "well then, how can you love your cat, dogs and ferret?"..... I think he felt pretty stupid after that lol

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
would you feel weird if i said i think i love you? lol

You beat me to that one! lol

hypnolobster - just because it's an uncommon practice doesn't mean people should be spreading falsities and acting like anyone who owns a T is crazy.

What frustrates me most, is I get this exact same thing being an American pit bull terrier owner... because you KNOW my "vicious, unpredictable, uncontrollable" dog is going to "one day snap and kill my child" :rolleyes:

People with their stereotypes and misinformation that they don't attempt to correct with research piss me off... no matter WHAT the subject matter.

That's wonderful that she gave an intelligent response, though... I hope she updates her blog with some better information. Though I'm sure all her buddies are going to say, "WHY are you doing this!? Eww!" {D

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
may be its just me but any one wiht a 1/4 of a brain can google a tarantula and get facts in less time than it takes to microwave that burrito.. seriously whats wrong is the general public seriously so dumb???

Redbrandy00

Arachnopeon
may be its just me but any one wiht a 1/4 of a brain can google a tarantula and get facts in less time than it takes to microwave that burrito.. seriously whats wrong is the general public seriously so dumb???

Unfortunately, it's a simple matter of people refusing to educate themselves. It's easier to go by word-of-mouth rather than actually having the desire to get up off one's fluffy duff and open a book or type in a few words. Sadly, it's that one person who says, 'EW!' loudly enough so others hear that starts the spread of misconceptions.

I did have a funny thought on this posting, however. Imagine the response it would have gotten had one of us T lovers had been there! I'm getting this image of myself clapping my hands and calling "Here, spider, spider! That's a good boy, come to momma!" LOL!! Oh, how the tongues would wag!

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
these comments just make me laugh. {D
its retards that give normal people the pleasure of laughing at them.

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it looked like a MM dont u think??? either way just let the poor guy go off to find his mate dont worry shell eat him! LOL

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it looked like a MM dont u think??? either way just let the poor guy go off to find his mate dont worry shell eat him! LOL
you're right, if you look carefully you can see one of the tibial spurs.

saltyscissors

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"Donna, can you believe some people buy tarantulas for pets?"

--"Jon, And those are crazy people!!"

I want Donna to die.

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"Donna, can you believe some people buy tarantulas for pets?"

--"Jon, And those are crazy people!!"

I want Donna to die.
Now, that is a little harsh. I would wait to see what she writes in her next blog before wishing that.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:wall: What well thought out and researched comments.

They jump 10 feet. {D I wonder if they eat camels too. LOL.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:wall: What well thought out and researched comments.

They jump 10 feet. {D I wonder if they eat camels too. LOL.
No that's camel spiders, and don't forget that they run 60mph and eat american troops too. ;)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No that's camel spiders, and don't forget that they run 60mph and eat american troops too. ;)
Now there goes another perfectly good gulp of soda! {D

I think most people think it's weird.

First it's "Why", then "Are they poisonous", followed by "What if they get loose", and finally "If they get loose, will you send your snake after it?"

-_____________________-"
Yeah of course. It's just like Deadly Creatures. Everyone knows rattlesnakes eat tarantulas. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear what she says next. It's kind of a funny feeling when you read things like "Who in their right mind would keep them as pets?" Can't help but silently smile or giggle as you turn around to see the "monsters" in the flesh.

Doesn't help when you also have a collection of over 60 shapeshifter and vampire books. :D :eek: {D

It_Glows

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now there goes another perfectly good gulp of soda! {D

Yeah of course. It's just like Deadly Creatures. Everyone knows rattlesnakes eat tarantulas. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear what she says next. It's kind of a funny feeling when you read things like "Who in their right mind would keep them as pets?" Can't help but silently smile or giggle as you turn around to see the "monsters" in the flesh.

Doesn't help when you also have a collection of over 60 shapeshifter and vampire books. :D :eek: {D
i loved that game.... even though it was COMPLETELY unrealistic, it still had arachnids you could play as T_T

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was going to email her as well but.. meh, let those ignorant folk be I guess..

If it weren't so obviously written as to draw attention to her dilema maybe I would but she's obviously going for the WOW FACTOR for her customers/peers..

If she had just remarked about it being there, how she disliked it and such, well sure that would have been fine. To ignorantly go trusting HER HUSBAND (we are big dumb animals ourselves) about jumping 10 feet.. Come on ;)

My 11 and 9 year old who had never had T's would have rolled their eyes at that and we live no where near T's in the wild like that. 10 feet? That's even quite a bit for humans, super humans running and jumping no?

LOL, sorry it's late and I read that and got fumed..
:}