Tarantulas at petco

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Not to mention the sheer amount of traffic that goes through petstores. All we need is some 14 yr old convincing his parents to let him by a selenocosmia or stromatopelma, have him put the T under his sisters pillow as a practical joke, and then wake up with a dead 7 yr old girl. Wed call it terrorism and launch nukes at africa/australia/and india, depose their rulers and create a cycle of mutually assured destruction.

-V

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Any petstore that's selling adult G. rosea's and claiming they're captive bred is either lying or been ripped off by their supplier. This species is one of the slowest-growing T's around, it takes YEARS to raise them to maturity. I bred them in 1998, and the male offspring (of the slings I kept) matured only last year, while the females still have quite a way to go. Would you even consider selling an animal for $4-$5 dollars that took you as many years to raise??? I think not!

Although there are exceptions, nearly all ADULT T's you see in pet stores are wild caught. Occasionally, when someone liquidates their collection, captive bred adult T's may end up in stores, but this is rare.

Wade

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade
Although there are exceptions, nearly all ADULT T's you see in pet stores are wild caught. Occasionally, when someone liquidates their collection, captive bred adult T's may end up in stores, but this is rare.
I've been trying to figure out where all these 3"+ A. bicoloratum's that are "CB" are coming from, granted, they generally cost $50 or more, but as slow growing as they're supposed to be (and the fact that most hatchlings sell for $20 and up), makes you go, "Hmmm..."

Lolth62

Arachnosquire
The only reason I would discourage you buying from Petco is that all of their tarantulas are wild-caught. Wild-caughts can be fine pets, but there is a risk of them having parasitic infections that shorten their natural lifespans. If you're going to buy one, ask if it's been seen by a veterinarian and then ask for the vet's number so you can speak to them yourself. Make a list of questions, such as what kind of experience the vet has with tarantulas. Only buy if you feel comfortable doing so.

If you don't like the answers that the petstore or the vet give you, take your money elsewhere and buy a captive-bred t from a reputable breeder.
How do you know that theirs are all wild caught?

Lolth62

Arachnosquire
Galeogirl
Hate to be the one to brake it to you but I use to work for Petco and I can tell you that all the one's we got are all CB that is why the price is so high. I know this for sure because I did the ordering.
I bought a juvie there for 40 dollars, which I don't consider to be expensive, when you ordered them did it say they were wild caught? Just wondering as I was told they came from a reptile show

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Please, stop with necromancy! :vamp:

This thread is from 2002! It's 17 years old! Back then, it could be very well that most of the specimen were wild caught.

Lolth62

Arachnosquire
Please, stop with necromancy! :vamp:

This thread is from 2002! It's 17 years old! Back then, it could be very well that most of the specimen were wild caught.
I was told when posting a thread to read all old posts so I was very concerned sorry to upset you,I guess you didn't notice the 2016 care sheet is wrong, just worried about me posting right?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
You didn't upset me. :rofl: It's just this thread holds no value whatsoever concerning your question whether a T is wild-caught or not because it's sooooooo old. ;) Times have changed since then.
And of course, I didn't notice the article from 2016 when I answered because you posted it after I posted. :p