tarantula

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Let me start by saying, I have never owned a tarantula before. I am looking into buying one, but I want to find out what the best tarantula would be. What would be recommended for a first timer?

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks, Joey

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This has been covered time and time again. Try using the search function.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't mind us........this is just the Standard Newbie Greeting:

This has been covered time and time again. Try using the search function.

Now that you've been officially welcomed to the boards, here are the first faces of your future addiction.

Pick one, get BOTH!!!!!

Welcome to the addiction!!!!!

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From my own personal experiance, I would suggest an A. avic. my B. smithi is and has always been rather skittish, but my A. avic is an absolute doll. ;) I've never had a rosie, so I have no opinion on them other than, everyone gets a rosie.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll throw in another vote for an Avic. sp. or an Avic. versi (get one that's a subadult or adult for a first T. Skip buying Avic slings until you have experience with another species.)

Also, G. pulchripes.

I know the G. rosea is most commonly recommended, but I really dislike them & their psycho possibilities. IMHO I think doing a little more bit leg work & maybe spending a little more is worth it to get a species besides G. rosea.

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Don't mind us........this is just the Standard Newbie Greeting:

Now that you've been officially welcomed to the boards, here are the first faces of your future addiction.

Pick one, get BOTH!!!!!

Welcome to the addiction!!!!!
i am wondering if these guys are fast? cause for my first t i dont want a fast guy lol :)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The terrestrial T's recommended so far in this thread aren't really all that fast. They certainly won't be teleporting on you :)

The Avics are a little speedier, but not bad.

All the T's recommended so far, minus the Avics, also have urticating hair. Little hairs attached to their rump that they can flick in heartbeat.

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
The terrestrial T's recommended so far in this thread aren't really all that fast. They certainly won't be teleporting on you :)

The Avics are a little speedier, but not bad.

All the T's recommended so far, minus the Avics, also have urticating hair. Little hairs attached to their rump that they can flick in heartbeat.
and these hairs do when they kick em?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah they will kick the hairs at you and it will irritate you. But depends on the specific tarantula, some won't kick alot, some will. My first was a G. rosea, but I wouldn't actualy reccomend it. Yeah it would be a great docile one (unless you get a crazy one, which happens suprisingly often) but their not eating, I find to be scary to the new tarantula owner, and makes the experience more boring. A brown rock that never does anything isn't fun. {D

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had almost all of my T's(well, the ones who have them) kick urticating hairs at me, but so far the only ones that I even felt were a T. blondi, but I dont have sensitive skin or anything. I would bet someone with more sensitive skin could be bothered more by urticating hairs.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
and these hairs do when they kick em?
They cause an itchy rash when they come into contact with your skin. Everyone seems to react differently to them, and according to species as well. The "rash" can be quite bad, with blistering etc. The only time I've been haired (not by lack of trying from some of mine, mind you) was from my juvenile B. smithi, my hand was red and really itchy but not for very long.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Grammostola pulchra

wouldnt suggest these scoolman, on account of how expensive they are,

pick up a rose hair or pink toe.

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Alright, thanks everyone. When i order one should i get a sling or what??

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Chaco Golden Knee

I suggest you attain a Grammostola Pulchripes. It is constantly overlooked, which amazes me that more people on these forums don't suggest this particular species, it is gorgeous (opinion of course), attains a generous size, extremely docile, and is very affordable in comparison to Grammostola Pulchra and the like. I suggest you get something at least 1", however you can get an adult female for a reasonable price, so the option is yours. Welcome to our webbed up hobby!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Alright, thanks everyone. When i order one should i get a sling or what??
If you get an Avic, i'd suggest a subadult or adult. They are pretty common & you can get a larger one for pretty cheap depending on the type.

All the other ones suggested in the thread are fairly hardy as slings, just make sure to do plenty of research on how to keep them :)

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I suggest you attain a Grammostola Pulchripes. It is constantly overlooked, which amazes me that more people on these forums don't suggest this particular species
I'd suggest G. pulchripes over G. rosea for a beginner T any day. Faster growing, gorgeous markings, and fewer tendencies to "turn psycho" despite a reputation to be docile (a la the rosies). It was my first species also, and I couldn't be happier with the experience. :)

ArachnoNut

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Also, where can i find more info on caring for sling and sub adult and adult's etc..