Tarantula Travel Question!

Calliope

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is a good chance that I am going to be moving to another state by the end of the year. I am transporting several animals via car and the trip will last about 2 to 3 days with pit stops at hotels (non-living items will be moved by movers). I know how to move my cats, but I have a couple of questions regarding tarantulas and scorpions.

1) What is the best way to pack them? Do I keep them in their kritter keepers or is it better to put them in smaller enclosures?

2) I will be taking them into the hotel room with me (shhhhh...don't tell the manager) so I will be able to give them water an so forth. Does anybody have any suggestions to make this as easy as possible on the T's?:)

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hopefully it wont be too much of a bumpy ride would suck to have a pisssed off tarantula leaping into your face.

Calliope

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Indeed...one of my T's is an OBT, so that is a very real possibility.:D

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For the duration of the trip you are taking you might be best to pack them in smaller containers. This will limit the amount of room they have to bounce around, make it easier to take them into the hotels and they will also pack better in the car.

caligulathegod

Arachnodeity
Old Timer
I took my Ts on transfers all across the country. If you have them in Critter Keepers, they should be ok. Those things aren't huge. Just pack them well enough the cages themselves don't bounce around. Never had a prob with hotels, and this was me staying in places for months at a time. I'm sure the maids all had stories, but I never heard.

Enjoy your new home.

andy83

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aside from all of the packing, try and keep them out of extremes of humidity and temp. That's all the info I have to offer.

Good luck,

-Andy

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I'm moving 8 hours away in a few weeks, and I plan on packing my crew in deli cups with some padding. Not as much as I would if I were shipping, but enough so that the bumps and such will be cushioned. I'll also be laying a light blanket over them to keep the sun off of them.

This will be interesting as I've never made a move of more than 30 miles before, and I've got over 80 T's, 20 or so scorps, 8 snakes, 2 crayfish, a ferret, and a dog! :eek:

This should be fun.

charlotte_05

Arachnopeon
The only thing i would suggest if you move them to smaller containers, is to leave them in there for a day after the trip-they're a little grouchy after all the vibration in the car. So just give them a quiet day to settle down.

Calliope

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Okay, here is the plan. I will pack them in smaller containers with a small amout of substrate, bring them into the hotel room at night so I can make sure theyhave water and so forth and let them rest for a day or so before rehousing them into their enclosures. Thanks for your suggestions guys.:)

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
mabey make sure the containers u use give them enough room to molt.never no if someones gonna decide to shed on the trip.