Tarantula substrates

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm an intermediate T keeper and have been using, for the most part, sphagnum as substrate. However, I was wondering if there are some alternative subs for certain Ts. I currently have a fir/sphagnum mix in my rosea, Avic, and P. imperator enclosures (I would've chose the standard sphagnum but my dealer was out of the stuff at the time but he DID approve using this fir stuff). I do, however, plan to stop using that fir stuff because it seems to grow mold a little too quickly (I frequently mist my Avic and imp cages, but keep my rosea bone dry save for her water dish so there's no mold in there...yet). I plan on using some kind of substrate that can hold humidity long and well for my Avic and P. imperator b/c I know they love a humid environment. Any suggestions on that. I heard orchid bark mixed w/ coconut husk works for that. Has anyone ever used potting soil? What about vermiculite, could that be used for those who like it dry or humidity lovers or both?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I'm an intermediate T keeper and have been using, for the most part, sphagnum as substrate. However, I was wondering if there are some alternative subs for certain Ts. I currently have a fir/sphagnum mix in my rosea, Avic, and P. imperator enclosures (I would've chose the standard sphagnum but my dealer was out of the stuff at the time but he DID approve using this fir stuff). I do, however, plan to stop using that fir stuff because it seems to grow mold a little too quickly (I frequently mist my Avic and imp cages, but keep my rosea bone dry save for her water dish so there's no mold in there...yet). I plan on using some kind of substrate that can hold humidity long and well for my Avic and P. imperator b/c I know they love a humid environment. Any suggestions on that. I heard orchid bark mixed w/ coconut husk works for that. Has anyone ever used potting soil? What about vermiculite, could that be used for those who like it dry or humidity lovers or both?
IME, peat moss holds moisture VERY well. also doesn't mold unless you try really hard to make it. easy to burrow in as well for the T. i prefer it over all the others i've tried. and it's cheap and comes in the biggest bundle you'll ever see at home depot.

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's what I use for everything I have...

G rosea x2 = 50/50 Sand/CocoFiber (It's the only way to keep it dry enough for my psychos)
A avicularia = CocoFiber
C crawshayi = CocoFiber
B Smithi = CocoFiber
P imperator x4 = CocoFiber
P cavimanus = CocoFiber
H paucidens = Sand
A gigas = CocoFiber
G portentosa = CocoFiber
B dubia = Paper towels

I love the fiber cause it retains moisture, is easy to get in the house, packs well, and expands to ridiculous amounts.