Tarantula Species larger than blondi?

gbbgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently heard that there is a recently discovered species of tarantula that is larger in body mass and length than Theraphosa blondi. Has anyone else encountered this same idea or research? Any response will be appreciated.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i wouldnt doubt it. Since we know so little about the world we live on lol

insekta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

I hear there's one in the outskirts of Tokyo, too.

:eek:

Last edited:

willyomt

Arachnopeon
Maybe...................

There is a spider, as of yet unnamed and unclassified, that I've heard of a few times that they call a "chicken spider" because it supposedly can kill chickens and drag them to its burrow. If you Google "chicken spider", there are many links that pertain to this particular beast. So, I suspect it is believeable that an even larger spider than T. blondi exists.

gbbgirl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can they export those tiny people? I want one to put in a 40Breeder vivarium. SO I can be lord over them, like bender on futurama.

HcUnderoath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T. apothysis is larger in legspan but usually not body mass, largest was somewhere around 13''

they are being called burgundy goliaths

Last edited:

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
The guy that played a hobbit on lord of the rings and also was the musician on Lost is into bugs and wants to find the Giant African species that is in a jar in some Brit museum.

Has any one herd of that expedition? It was talked about some time ago but I never herd that they had actually went. And if they actually caught something. Any new info on that one?

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah I'm interested to know how that worked out as well.
I believe he was looking for Hysterocrates hercules.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T. apothysis is larger in legspan but usually not body mass, largest was somewhere around 13''

they are being called burgundy goliaths
Actually T. apophysis common name is a "pinkfoot goliath". The "burgundy goliaths" are supposed to be something different that either T. blondi or T. apophysis. The largest tarantula that I ever read about was a wc female T. apophysis with a 14 inch leg span. I have no idea how it was measured and how carefully it was done so I would feel safe saying less than that was probably more accurate.
I will let everyone know how big my girls get when they are completely grown.

HcUnderoath

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my bad your right i got a little mixed up i thought these "burgundy goliaths" were T. apothysis with a different common name for less confusion, for some reason

i like to estimate low with T's i doubt it was 14'' probly 13.5'' or so but who knows

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I spent a few months camping in the interior of French Guyana in the early 80's. My primary interest was insects and not tarantulas at that time, but I did find some very large goliaths that I believe were 13 in males. I didn't measure them, and maybe becuase I was younger they seemed bigger, but I have never seen anything as big before or since. I think it is very feasible something larger is out there but it would have to be in the remote areas in the southern part of the Guyanas. Wherever there are people the wildlife greatly diminishes.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my bad your right i got a little mixed up i thought these "burgundy goliaths" were T. apothysis with a different common name for less confusion, for some reason

i like to estimate low with T's i doubt it was 14'' probly 13.5'' or so but who knows
We all get mixed up!! :D
I agree with you, I doubt it was truly a 14 inch T. The people who found it were probably so startled at finding something that big that it "grew" a bit as the story was retold.
Does anyone know if the "burgundy goliath" has more of a name than just T. sp. "burgundy goliath"?

Last edited:

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holy crap!:eek: I think I would die if I saw a 14 incher. I dont thinkthe burgundy goliath has a latin name.