Tarantula "night light"???

Nikki92

Arachnopeon
Just to start, I'm not intending to heat the tank at night or any time, I know that is dangerous.

Our A. Seemanni is very active at night and my boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoy watching her be, well, a tarantula. But we either have to turn the light on or use a bright as all get out flashlight. I feel like stuff like that could irritate her. Is there a type of light that could be set up beside the enclosure or the wall to give us a good lighted veiw but not disturb her such as a red light or something else? Probably a silly question, but I'm genuinely curious and the internet suggests every light under the sun.

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
Just to start, I'm not intending to heat the tank at night or any time, I know that is dangerous.

Our A. Seemanni is very active at night and my boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoy watching her be, well, a tarantula. But we either have to turn the light on or use a bright as all get out flashlight. I feel like stuff like that could irritate her. Is there a type of light that could be set up beside the enclosure or the wall to give us a good lighted veiw but not disturb her such as a red light or something else? Probably a silly question, but I'm genuinely curious and the internet suggests every light under the sun.
I heard tarantulas can't see red or blue lights. Whether or not that's true I have no clue. I own a red light I turn on when I check on my T's and to be honest I don't notice a difference from when I use the flashlight on my phone. They usually don't react to either one, hope this helps!

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
They can't see red light, not sure about blue.

I believe I've heard that simply putting a red "gel" or lens over a white light does not work.

Google, "tarantula red light site:arachnoboards.com" and you will get lots of results, this topic has been discussed many times.

Dylan Bruce

Arachnosquire
I've used red lights in the past and they have worked brilliantly. if your T is kept on any sort of shelving you can get the cheap RGB LED strips and stick them above the enclosure. that way you can control them with a remote or even wire in a rocker switch. i used this for my B. Hamorii and it worked perfectly but it was never very photosensitive in the first place so it will probably differ depending on the T.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I have a red light I use as well. The Ts still react to it but they will sit still and tolerate it much longer than a white light. I've tried a green light too and its worked about the same as the red light in my experience. You can get one of the flashlights/headlamps at the CVS for like 10 bucks.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Red is the only wavelength that doesn’t disrupt the human brain and it seems to be similar with tarantulas despite the lack of true brain. Sorry lighting designer here. I now way too much about light. Look up roscolux 27. It’s a dark red gel that you can cover a flashlight with. You can get a poster size sheet for a few dollars.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm sorry, butby reading the title I immediately had a visual of this:
white-cloud-night-light-2.jpg
as your nightlight :D

On topic:
Red works best, from what I've gathered.

StampFan

Arachnodemon

I use a small red bulb flashlight. Seems to do the trick.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
I used to use a red-flashlight to see my T’s at night. Perhaps I’m a bad T dad, but now I just use a regular flashlight. The only one that seems to notice whatsoever is my P. irminia (I’ve heard they are light sensisitive), but even it has gotten accustomed to an occasional light.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
I'm sorry, butby reading the title I immediately had a visual of this:
View attachment 276087
as your nightlight :D

On topic:
Red works best, from what I've gathered.
Same here! My first thought was, "Umm, I don't think tarantulas are scared of the dark." :rofl:

I've used a red light before and it worked well, but I didn't like it as much because I couldn't see them very well. Now I just keep a dim white light or use a flashlight. Most of them don't seem to notice or care one way or the other, but there are definitely more photosensitive sp. than mine.