Tarantula killer (Pepsis formosa) caught in the act..pictures

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was mowing my lawn and on the way to the backyard I caught a tarantula killer dragging it's victim across the lawn. I stole it from the wasp. I've brought several Aphonopelma moderatum back from being paralyzed. Or would they have made it anyway regardless of me giving them water? Well all I know is that they are thirsty. I think when you give them water, they are able to filter the toxins out of their body. I turn them over and put a few drops of water on their mouth parts and it soon disappears. It's August 14. We may see how long it takes to bring one back if it makes it. I will post more photos and keep the forum updated. Later. Dang! Forgot to crop the second image.

Last edited:

TRowe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very interesting pictures. I spotted a Pepsis wasp right outside of Marfa, TX in June. Much larger than I had expected them to be.

Good luck with the rehab!

Tim

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thats some freaky pictures mate, first time I see that ... what an insane fly

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
good luck! i have a soft spot for aphonophelmas

arizona

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those wasps are awesome saw one today while looking for milli's. It had the purple black wings, most of them around here have the orange wings.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But kind of interesting anyway isn't it.... Just gave it some water. Already drinking. No movement yet.

I've seen the black one too. The one's with the orange wings in west Tx seem to be bigger that the one in the picture. I live near Austin Tx....Cedar Park.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Aawww, I deleted the others but there will be more of the T's recovery(I hope) and other stuff. I think I found the wasps hole earlier but didn't know what was in there. Put water down the hole but nothing came out. The next day it had been dug out again. Filled up the hole with water again but nothing..... Hehehe, I'm just a big kid.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Galapoheros said:
But kind of interesting anyway isn't it.... Just gave it some water. Already drinking. No movement yet.

I've seen the black one too. The one's with the orange wings in west Tx seem to be bigger that the one in the picture. I live near Austin Tx....Cedar Park.
very cool
i think you are only the second or third person i've read about rehabilitating paralyzed tarantulas. keep up the good work :)

awesome pics

i heard those huge Pepsis are VERY painful to get stung by

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If it makes it and someone wants the T, let me know. Still drinking. No movement.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've tried to recover small Lycosidae spiders paralised by parasitic Hymenoptera. Without success.

Great pics.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I once found an A. chalcodes being dragged accross the road by a wasp. I collected them both :) . At first, I had to drip water on the chelicerea, and offer it smashed-up crickets by putting the "cricket paste" right on the mouth. Although the spider never became fully "normal", it did eventually regain it's ability to walk and capture prey (provided it wasn't too fast or large). Ultimately, it died trying to molt. I suspect that it was simply too weak to free itself from the old exuvium. It would have been the ultimate molt, and was obviously male.

Wade

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Would you guys say that if you see these Pepsis wasps that that should be a good sign of tarantulas being common in the area? I often see them in certain places(I read the ones with blue-black wings are not tarantula hawks...take things like crickets).