Tarantula hawk victim! Help or advice!!!

Adamking86

Arachnopeon
So, yesterday I found a tarantula hawk dragging a tarantula across my back porch. My wife, who is a tarantula lover asked me to save it so I did. On a side note: that damn hawk flew in the house when I opened the door for the dogs later that day. Long story short, the wasp is long gone.

Anyways, I've seen some material on trying to care for the tarantula, but has anyone successfully nursed it back to health? The little guy looks pretty plump and healthy. I've owned 1 tarantula but am really a novice. Any advice or am I just prolonging the inevitable?

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Pictures would be helpful

Is there any obvious injuries, or is the tarantula leaking any fluid on its body? Any abnormal behavior from it?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If the Hawk wasp got the chance to do what it is meant to, then the T is more than likely done for.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Well it certainly looks in better health than the pepsis-victims we usually see around here, so it's plausible that it has a good chance. However, pepsis wasps lay their eggs inside the abdomen of a tarantula and if it did so then there's nothing you can do except wait for what pretty much amounts to the chest-burster scenes in all Alien movies. :dead:

Last edited:

Denbert

Arachnosquire
You can just observe it for a little while. Since you've said that the healing process started, there's nothing you can do but to wait since adding stress to the tarantula wouldn't do any better. That's some fine looking tarantula. If the hawk wasp got the best from it, that's just rotten luck.

cold blood

Staff member
The way these things work essentially means that after recovery, the t will basically be healthy....until the larvae emerges and begins the feast.

A while back someone nursed one back that had been stung, but eggs were not layed.

If the wasp left future youngins, its done for, if it didnt, it will probably recover eventually.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
To my knowledge the eggs are laid once the Spider has been deposited into a burrow. In this instance that has not occurred yet. It is possible it will recover.

Adamking86

Arachnopeon
Most of the material I've read suggests that the egg is laid ON not IN the abdomen. I did inspect the entire body and found nothing.
Also, the wasp had not successfully transported the guy to the burrow so I'm not sure she even had the chance to lay.
So, I'm not 100% positive about whether an egg was laid but I'm assuming it wasn't.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Most of the material I've read suggests that the egg is laid ON not IN the abdomen. I did inspect the entire body and found nothing.
Also, the wasp had not successfully transported the guy to the burrow so I'm not sure she even had the chance to lay.
So, I'm not 100% positive about whether an egg was laid but I'm assuming it wasn't.
I'm reading that too, now. I thought they were laid inside but perhaps they just chew their way inside when they hatch.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I get that this is an older thread but for the future if you see the wasp dragging the spider there is almost certainly no wasp larva in the spider. The wasp lays it's egg on the T, not in it, and it will only lay an egg once the spider has been dragged into the safety of a burrow. So if you somehow get the T to feed it will more than likely survive