Tarantula Funeral

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
Full disclosure, this isn't really fun, but it isn't technical or anything, so I figured this was the best place to post:

My oldest T, and closest companion of the last fourteen years is dead or dying. She's in a death curl and totally immobile. I gave her a shallow dish of water in the hopes that she'll bounce back (dwbi, her book lungs are clear of the water), but in all likelihood, she's been gone for hours.

I love tarantulas, but I generally never really liked the responsibility for another living thing- still, caring for her every day has been such a pleasure. She had the mildest temperament I have ever seen and has been my furry friend through every tough time from junior high school through college, the deaths of both grandmothers, and up to now.

So now I need to think about funerals. I won't be living in the family home anymore and because of the parents' impending divorce, the home will probably be sold so I am not burying her because she was my companion, not whatever schmuck buys this house. I'd like to take her with me internationally to university, so I am thinking preservation, but... I don't know. I am a do-er so maybe I am just looking for a job to distract me from my grief. But go ahead and post some ideas. I am going to work, so if the water hasn't miraculously helped, I will probably call time of death and preserve her in the freezer in the morning.

But go ahead and leave any suggestions, folks. I will check back periodically.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm so sorry for your loss ):

Preservation is definitely the way to go.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I’m sorry for your loss, it’s always tough to lose a pet that’s been with you for so long.

One thing I’d be a bit cautious about is bringing her with you internationally (preserved), it could cause some problems depending on what country you’re in/traveling to. I know that traveling from South America to the US, customs keeps their eyes out for a lot of dead inverts (more so because they could be endangered species). Just a heads up.

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I'm really sorry you lost her but glad she was there for you over the years.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I would give it a proper burial, and maybe say a few words...but that's just me.

Sorry for your loss.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
Dude, same! Lol
Generally, I do the same- but this time, I feel compelled to go the extra mile. :p

I have saved a few bodies over the years of tarantulas that were special to me, but I don't preserve them all.
Yeah, generally I have just tossed em. But Oki Kumo was as special as they come, so I am thinking either mounting her in a shadow box, or casting her in resin, at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, generally I have just tossed em. But Oki Kumo was as special as they come, so I am thinking either mounting her in a shadow box, or casting her in resin, at the moment.
I considered a resin cast also at one point, but I just don't like how it... smushes? them. Shadow boxes are, to me, way more pleasing. And you can also add decorations if desired. Some folks do taxidermy mounts on logs with foliage and whatnot!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
The few non-slings that I've had die I put outside to let nature take its course. But I didn't have any of them very long so I wasn't really attached.

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Photos are much less gruesome to me than taxidermy as a way to remember them, but to each his own.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
When I've lived in temporary housing or with a member of my extended family, I have always managed to bury pets in the front yard so if I wanted to I could sneak in sometime and grieve just a little without actually trespassing! :rolleyes:

Once or twice, I have buried small pets at the base of large trees in parks that were important to me. That way, nature takes its course and yet I still have a grave to visit if I choose.

As a result, I have pets that were very dear to me buried in just about every time zone where English is spoken, and I do go back to their graves when I am in the local area.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
When I've lived in temporary housing or with a member of my extended family, I have always managed to bury pets in the front yard so if I wanted to I could sneak in sometime and grieve just a little without actually trespassing! :rolleyes:

Once or twice, I have buried small pets at the base of large trees in parks that were important to me. That way, nature takes its course and yet I still have a grave to visit if I choose.

As a result, I have pets that were very dear to me buried in just about every time zone where English is spoken, and I do go back to their graves when I am in the local area.
That is a really good idea, actually. I will have to think about whether I intend to come back to WA state at all, then.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I'm casting a vote for the old viking burial. Push it off to sea then light the boat on fire.
I kid you not, I was thinking about this on the car ride home from work, for whatever reason (and even before I saw this thread :eek:).

Anywho, sorry for your loss OP.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
I commend you for wanting to preserve your T, I know that I could never have the heart to scoop out the abdomen like it's required in taxidermy.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
I commend you for wanting to preserve your T, I know that I could never have the heart to scoop out the abdomen like it's required in taxidermy.
It is gonna be really hard. But I am trying to keep in mind that she wasn't sentimental in life, so neither should I. :p