tarantula food problems

zxneon

Arachnosquire
When doing maintenance in my cricket tub i saw fly flying out . I`m almost sure that it was phorid fly .
I dont know how long it was inside maybe day , but maybe 5 minutes . (was doing some feeder maintenance that day)
I know that those flies can carry nasty things like nematodes . What i should do ? Dump all crickets and start new colony ? That colony is small and i`m trying to breed more crickets . Can offsprings Inherit something ?
(soil container with cricket eggs moved to clean tub)
And other question - how long is it ok to feed tarantulas with mealworms only ?

Estein

Arachnoknight
I can't answer your question about flies, but in response to your question about mealworms: Practically forever. I only use mealworms as feeders and haven't had any issues over the past few years.

zxneon

Arachnosquire
I can't answer your question about flies, but in response to your question about mealworms: Practically forever. I only use mealworms as feeders and haven't had any issues over the past few years.
I have thousands and thousands mealworms and beetles ready to make more worms . I`m new with tarantlas , but with true spiders i like to alter mealworms with crickets for diverse nutrients .

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
When doing maintenance in my cricket tub i saw fly flying out . I`m almost sure that it was phorid fly .
I dont know how long it was inside maybe day , but maybe 5 minutes . (was doing some feeder maintenance that day)
I know that those flies can carry nasty things like nematodes . What i should do ? Dump all crickets and start new colony ? That colony is small and i`m trying to breed more crickets . Can offsprings Inherit something ?
(soil container with cricket eggs moved to clean tub)
And other question - how long is it ok to feed tarantulas with mealworms only ?
I've no clue regarding the fly, but mealworms are a staple diet for some keepers, I don't use them, I use dubias. I've heard they're quite fattening, so feed sparingly.