Tarantula always hides

rohrrocks

Arachnopeon
I have had my Mexican Red Knee for just over a month and all it does is hide. We have a small ornament in its enclosure and it dug a big hole underneath it. It stays there all of the time. Do they ever come out of their burrow? If so when?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Good question any pictures? :pics:

rohrrocks

Arachnopeon
Good question any pictures? :pics:

Attachments

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
How big is the overall enclosure? If it's too big they'll seek shelter in a smaller nook

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
its a sling still thats what they do is hide from predators. if you have it in too large of a cage like above post says house in deli cup.( easier to make sure its eating) mine didnt stay out all the time until it got around 2 inches and got its colors

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
most likely its coming out in the middle of the night while your sleeping make sure to add a water bottle cap filled with water it can drink from when my slings are that size i leave a prekilled feeder(head cut off) over night and then just remove whats left the next day

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It's 3" wide x 5 inches long x 3 inches high. The T is about the size of a quarter.
pictures from different angles further back of the cage would help for saying if it’s too big or small.
Info might be on here

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
It's 3" wide x 5 inches long x 3 inches high. The T is about the size of a quarter.
Then it is probably hiding due to enclosure size. With that said, my B.hamorii, B.boemei, and B.smithi ALL stayed pretty well hidden until the 2" mark or so. I kept them in 20oz deli cups and then upscaled their enclosures.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have had my Mexican Red Knee for just over a month and all it does is hide. We have a small ornament in its enclosure and it dug a big hole underneath it. It stays there all of the time. Do they ever come out of their burrow? If so when?
Rarely as sling

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
That's what they do. I have a B Boehmei sling that hides 24/7 and I recently dug them out because there was a fungus issue in their enclosure. They were plump and completely fine.

I have a B Smithi as well and she did the same thing for quite some time. Once she molted a few times and put on more size, she's been out more.

I'd recommend getting another T. You can start off just by buying a juvie or you can start off with a sling that's more bold. Pamphobeteus and Nandhu's are out way more as slings than others I've kept.

That's my advice, otherwise just be content to look at a pile of dirt lol

rohrrocks

Arachnopeon
That's what they do. I have a B Boehmei sling that hides 24/7 and I recently dug them out because there was a fungus issue in their enclosure. They were plump and completely fine.

I have a B Smithi as well and she did the same thing for quite some time. Once she molted a few times and put on more size, she's been out more.

I'd recommend getting another T. You can start off just by buying a juvie or you can start off with a sling that's more bold. Pamphobeteus and Nandhu's are out way more as slings than others I've kept.

Mine hasn't eaten in a month either. I don't mind if it hides. I am more concerned on when it's going to eat. It looks healthy.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Mine hasn't eaten in a month either. I don't mind if it hides. I am more concerned on when it's going to eat. It looks healthy.
You'll see a hole at the entrance of their burrow when they are hungry. Drop a dead feeder next to the hole when you see this. Also, even if they don't emerge make sure the water dish is full

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Nandhu's also dig Infact most species have a high chance of it. However having more raises the chance of seeing them. Unfortunately I’m slowly running out .. wasted lot of my last money at pet shop, cuz my mom nagged me not to order.. $200 and one of 4 t left . A t albo !
Once they hit 2-3” a lot abandon burrowing but not all of them.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Nandhu's also dig Infact most species have a high chance of it. However having more raises the chance of seeing them. Unfortunately I’m slowly running out .. wasted lot of my last money at pet shop, cuz my mom nagged me not to order.. $200 and one of 4 t left . A t albo !
Every T hides. Some way longer than o
For sure. Some are more bold than others. You can minimize some of the issues by not providing them more floor space than they actually need to be comfortable. Use a less tall container so you dont have to fill it with too much substrate (fall prevention). Not saying don't give them the opportunity to burrow, but if you provide too much soil, they will most likely use it. Its not necessary unless they are fossorial. Because most T's will just seal the entrance to their hide if they want the privacy. Minimize feeding. Etc

cold blood

Staff member
Mine hasn't eaten in a month either. I don't mind if it hides. I am more concerned on when it's going to eat.
You should mind.....a sling that hides excessively, eats rarely and grows considerably slower.....a sling that hides constantly is also very difficult to monitor. The best thing you can do for sling survival is getting them past the sling stage asap.

You want it to eat/grow consistently, then you should mind if it hides.

I house my slings in small enclosures, its exceedingly rare for any of them to hide and burrowing away is even rarer because I dont give them the room to do so excessively.

MrFingaz

Arachnopeon
My guess is that it comes out at night or is going through a hidey spell. My Omythymus Violaceopes hung out at the entrance to her(hopefully) hide almost every night for the first month or so after I got her and then went dark for almost 2 full months, only way I knew she was alive is because the crickets kept disappearing then more recently I noticed some renovations happening in her enclosure. In the past week I have caught glances of her and right now she is making a guest appearance which I'm quite happy about.
View attachment PXL_20240513_040653870.TS.mp4