Tappie Keeping...

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Hi all
So my last order my shop sent me a free tappie sp. union Island.
I guess they figured I needed something that wasn't terrestrial lol.
I have her in just a regular container if anyone has any further tips for keeping them would be greatly appreciated.
I know they are speedy and either arboreal or semi-arboreal. Moisture? Any enclosure decorating tips?

StampFan

Arachnodemon
So far mine's a very pleasurable little sling. Attacks prey as big as it is. My only advice is to underdecorate, little brown sling really blends into peat and coco and is easy to lose. Makes it easier to pick out anything uneaten as well. Mine is usually half-way up the larger vial I moved it into, on the substrate once in a while. Finds pre-killed pretty easily anywhere in the bigger vial. Really great little fella. Can't wait to see the adult colours.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I have mine in a 32 oz deli cup, with about an inch of coco fiber, and a length of cork bark leaned against a side of the enclosure (and buried in the sub a bit). It has webbed pretty extensively around the cork bark hide, and put up some dirt curtains. I have a cap from a 600 mL bottle that's always full, and I dampen the substrate on half the enclosure (around the water dish).

I used a cut tack from Canadian Tire to punch rows of holes around the top, into the lid, and around the middle (vertically) of the cup for ventilation. Very good hunter, excellent at finding pre-killed, but will take smaller live crickets. It loves wax moths (pupated wax worms that got too warm in their bin, haha).

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I have Emerald in a small Tupperware container with fake leaves but no wood for her to crawl on should I have some?
Are they picky eaters? I have been trying to give her crickets and she doesn't seem to be interested?

boina

Lady of the mites
I have Emerald in a small Tupperware container with fake leaves but no wood for her to crawl on should I have some?
Are they picky eaters? I have been trying to give her crickets and she doesn't seem to be interested?
Tapis are not Avics. As slings they live on the ground and they need something to hide under and behind. A piece of bark at an angle is usually a good idea. And no, Tapis are among the best eaters I know. They only refuse a meal when in premolt. Make sure the enclosure is not too wet, they don't like that at all.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Tapis are not Avics. As slings they live on the ground and they need something to hide under and behind. A piece of bark at an angle is usually a good idea. And no, Tapis are among the best eaters I know. They only refuse a meal when in premolt. Make sure the enclosure is not too wet, they don't like that at all.
I keep my tappies very moist, at least when young.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I have mine in a 32 oz deli cup, with about an inch of coco fiber, and a length of cork bark leaned against a side of the enclosure (and buried in the sub a bit). It has webbed pretty extensively around the cork bark hide, and put up some dirt curtains. I have a cap from a 600 mL bottle that's always full, and I dampen the substrate on half the enclosure (around the water dish).

I used a cut tack from Canadian Tire to punch rows of holes around the top, into the lid, and around the middle (vertically) of the cup for ventilation. Very good hunter, excellent at finding pre-killed, but will take smaller live crickets. It loves wax moths (pupated wax worms that got too warm in their bin, haha).
Pretty much exactly how I keep mine, though I despise coco fiber so I use 1.5-2 inches of top soil or peat but they aren't very picky. Most of mine would take on crickets that were the same size as them if you are limited on what sizes you can get.

I don't - which goes to show that they obviously have a rather broad range of moisture tolerance :)
I do half and half as I'm kinda lazy and don't want to constantly monitor them, they aren't very delicate and they will drink from water bowls if they are thirsty.