Tank locking

TRection

Arachnoknight
Well i have an update about my T being shipped, it looks like ill have plenty of time to fix up the tanks haha, I miss understood the date of the shipment. The shipment of T's going TO the store will be next week, MY shipment wont be until the 23rd :) at least i know ill have the magnets by then lol :embarrassed:

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I used GG on my plastic hasps to enclosure, but can't guarantee it works on glass. I'm referring to the super glue btw, GG makes a lot of adhesives lol

TRection

Arachnoknight
I used GG on my plastic hasps to enclosure, but can't guarantee it works on glass. I'm referring to the super glue btw, GG makes a lot of adhesives lol
I have the 2 part epoxy but im running low, ill probably pick some up tomorrow it should work on pretty much anything lol

TRection

Arachnoknight
Next time, go to Home Depot. A package of 12 is the same price, and then you don't need to wait (or pay) for shipping. The neodymium magnets are usually either by the key making machine or next to the loose nuts/bolts/screws/etc.
Damn maybe they just didn't have them in stock for me, i went to Lowes and Homedepot, all they had where the 1" circular ones or the even bigger rectangular ones that are like an inch thick, but its ok, i ended up ordering 2 packs of 35 magnets (10mm by 3mm thick) for only 30 buck on amazon with free shipping, they have all good reviews and the order says its already been shipped and should be here by Friday so that's a load off my mind. Once i start a project i HATE not being able to finish it :bookworm:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't use hot glue. It's cheap for a reason. I use it and it comes off frequently. Don't waste your time with it.

@Red Eunice - what say you Cage Master?

Eulers chimed in so you'll get some good info there too.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't use hot glue. It's cheap for a reason. I use it and it comes off frequently. Don't waste your time with it.

@Red Eunice - what say you Cage Master?

Eulers chimed in so you'll get some good info there too.
Ok cool, ill go pick up some more epoxy today.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I wouldn't use hot glue. It's cheap for a reason. I use it and it comes off frequently. Don't waste your time wit
Agreed, it does come off over time, but some best practices make it semi-permanent. The best thing to do is to heavily sand any surfaces that will be making contact with the glue - the higher surface area gives it something to hold on to. The neodymium magnets that I fixed onto an aquarium over a year ago just came off a couple weeks ago. A new dab of glue fixes it.

I do spot check my enclosures every few weeks. But really, that's a best practice with any DIY project... unless you really know what you're doing like @petkokc.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
I do spot check my enclosures every few weeks. But really, that's a best practice with any DIY project... unless you really know what you're doing like @petkokc.
The best practice is to try stuff and don't get discouraged when things fail, learn from it and try again. You should saw how miserable I felt when expanding foam broke back glass on my first (and only) paludarium build.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I also thought about attaching Velcro or something like that to the outside but i want the tanks to keep their clean and simple look without extra straps or anything like that.
You don't need Velcro straps. You can just get the little Velcro pieces with the adhesive backs, and put them down in the plastic rim of the tank. Cut them down if needed to the right size. One side sticking to the lip of the tank rim, the other side sticking to the bottom of the lid.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I couldn't find a nice place to put the tank....So i built an extension onto my desk for it, whats wrong with me... :rofl:

Snapchat-549820429.jpg Snapchat-564339350.jpg

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
What size neodymium magnets provides the best balance of strength vs give? I don't want something the spiders can release, but at the same time don't want something that I have trouble releasing to the point of disturbing the spiders before a feeding.

TRection

Arachnoknight
What size neodymium magnets provides the best balance of strength vs give? I don't want something the spiders can release, but at the same time don't want something that I have trouble releasing to the point of disturbing the spiders before a feeding.
The ones i ordered are 2 pound strength not very strong to us but should be strong enough for a T

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Anyone with experience have inputs? No offense, but I can't risk 'should be'.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Anyone with experience have inputs? No offense, but I can't risk 'should be'.
Perhaps open your own thread for it, might have a better time getting replys lol. But in regards to your question if each magnet is 2 pounds and you add a few per side of the lid i highly doubt a T will be able to lift the 10+ pounds of force of the magnets. Not to mention the fact that in order to even reach the lid they would have to climb up the side of the tank giving them little to no leverage of lifting in the first place. Though i am new to this hobby i have done quite a fair bit of research on the topic (seeing as im making my own enclosure) Even the largest of Ts recorded at 8 ounces can only lift up to 3 pounds which is amazing considering its body weight. BUT still not anywhere near strong enough to lift the magnetic force on the lid.

Last edited:

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Or maybe I should start my own forum and call it arachnomagnetboards :troll:

TRection

Arachnoknight
Update on the tank, the magnets are a no go. I had ordered them off amazon and today i got an email saying my order has been refunded because it doesn't look like the magnets will actually be arriving any time soon (they were supposed to be here on Wednesday). SO, i have come up with a different plan for locking and i spend the better part of today putting it into motion.

I have cut the lid into 2 pieces, i cut off a 2 inch wide strip down the whole back of the lid and permanently glued it into place with epoxy and silicone. Drilled new holes and attached the 2 pieces with hinges.

For the actual locking mechanism i had an idea of using those sliding pieces that are on the backs of picture frames but i could not for the life of me find any place that sold them. So i made my own. I used a metal bracket, cut it to size and shape, and then slid it onto a bolt that is just long enough to fit the metal snug under the rim of the tank. I got a small wooden dowel and made it into a tiny handle for the lock. The idea is that the lock can be turned from side to side so that it slides UNDERNEATH the rim of the tank, keeping it super tight as well as flush.

I will upload more pictures once the silicon is dry but here is what it looks like right now :)

Snapchat-1614630402.jpg Snapchat-842025025.jpg Snapchat-105272184.jpg

TRection

Arachnoknight
Its finally finished! the glue has dried and i added the locks and painted/glued their handles on, works like a charm. :dead: I can finally start setting it up.
Here's how the locks work:

20170512_230407.jpg
When they are rotated sideways the tank can easily be opened
20170512_230253.jpg 20170512_230313.jpg
But when rotated under the tank lip it locks the lid from being opened :)