T T :D Tarantula transport

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

I am asking how would you transport your Ts and if you would do it.. knowing:

-The trip is only about 50min long.

-The driveway is not the newest one. It has some bump sites wich are on the 4 or 5 bridges it has.

-I only have 5 Ts and would be travelling in the beginning of February, June , September, December.

-Only 1 arboreal less than 4", all the others are sling/juvies( less than 2")..

The juvies would be alright in their own enclosures ? (wich have nothing that may fall)
Packing the arboreal is an obvious part ?

Now the reasons:
I am studying in a city less than 1h from my house and i have a house(room) there. This semester i just saw my Ts at weekend wich means only weekend feeding and watering etc.. I would like to have them with me during week instead of weekends.. its not a big trip wich may not stress them as much as a large one...

I would love all your advices/questions to weight if this is a good decision or not and how i should be doing it if so.

Tkz in advance,

//Tiago

NateTheGreat

Arachnopeon
I don't think it would be a good idea to travel with them that much... but if you do:

I think you are over-thinking and worrying way too much. I bought two T's from a guy and had to drive an hour to get back home. The guy just gave them to me in the enclosures he had them in and I put them on the floor of my car.
It was fine, didn't slide around at all.

You could put the enclosure on the floor of your car and put blankets between them so they don't slide around, just a thought.

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have never done it before, but sitting here thinking what I would do. I guess i would get a box and put a pillow in the bottom. Then take my T's and put them all in deli cups and place the deli cups in the box. I would put that box on the passengers seat and tie it to the seat some how. I would pack the cages separate from the T's. I would be sure to warm the car up first.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yes i was thinking on some kind of way to get them tight.. ofc i dont want them to slide nor bump and stuff like that... but i would love to take them there as i spend the most of the time there :S

s__i__v

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just bought a new T. I had to drive 2 hours away to get it. and it has been COOOOLD and the roads are HORRIBLE this winter! it was negative 3 when we picked the T up. we just kept the T in its enclosure. i took my jacket off and wrapped the whole enclosure up and then walked out to the car. we left the car running so it would stay warm. and then the whole bundle was held onto the whole way back using arms as shock absorbers when the road got rough.

arrived home without a problem!

wisconsin weather sucks

frtysxan2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This might be a stupid question, but if you are at your place in the city the whole week and only home on the weekends why not just take them to your place in the city and leave them there? They will be fine for two days by themselves.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
exactly that is what i think but... i think you misunderstood me.

The months i would be travelling with them would be when i stop having classes and have exams and i just go to the university 4/5 days in about 2 months or something...

Since that house is tremendously cold(old house with no "protection for cold") i might be considering just to take them with me on january and not in september or something.

//Tiago

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think you're over-worrying... so long as you're not mud-bogging and you keep the car warm you shouldn't have a problem.

I drove a 1" Avic Versi 12hrs in the car in its deli enclosure with no problems.

Nearly every time I get a new T I drive it from Toronto 2.5hrs north. I've not lost a single one.

BiologicalJewels

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
not a problem... I've traveled 6-8hrs, the T's will be fine given you take the necessary precautions for them not to be injured during the trip