T.stirmi vent sexing

Fallimsa

Arachnopeon
How big does a stirmi have to be before I can vent sex it? Got a 2” one on the way and would like to know if I can sex it straight away thanks

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Not sure if it shows at that size but apparently for T. stirmi males show a sort of black triangle on their underside.

Fallimsa

Arachnopeon
Yeah I should of been more clear, I was wondering at what age the triangle would appear or if it would be there as a sling, I guess I’ll just have to wait and see

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah I should of been more clear, I was wondering at what age the triangle would appear or if it would be there as a sling, I guess I’ll just have to wait and see
The larger the specimen, the easier it will be to vent sex. At around 3-4" it will be very clear.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Does anyone have any good photos of both males and females vent sexed side by side for comparison?

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Awesome. I'll take a second look. I'm pretty sure it's male, but finding a female that size for only $115 would be the steal of a lifetime.

kerplunk

Arachnopeon
The larger the specimen, the easier it will be to vent sex. At around 3-4" it will be very clear.
Is that around L3 size? Coz I have an L3 (basing this from when I got it as L1 1.5")sling prob around 3-3.5" DLS. I tried sexing via exuvia but I still think its too small to tell. I tried looking at its ventral side a few times when it was climbing a bit but didn't see any dark triangular patch. Perhaps waiting another molt would be better?

Feral

Arachnobaron
How big does a stirmi have to be before I can vent sex it? Got a 2” one on the way and would like to know if I can sex it straight away thanks
It is called ventral sexing, not vent sexing. Vent sexing is an entirely different thing and also the term is not applicable to arachnids and insects. :)

esa space station

Arachnoknight
It will be there at that size!i sexed a 2 inch t blondi as female when it flipped over onto its back to molt i could see it had NO dark triangle patch .another one was male .im currently pairing her now from december 2017 that one en all.

Feral

Arachnobaron
Okay, whats the difference?
A vent is the common name for a cloaca, which is the body opening in reptiles (including birds) that is for passing nitrogenous waste (pee), fecal waste (poop), and also for reproductive functions (e.g. where eggs come out of). So when you "vent sex" a reptile/bird, you're using a method to investigate the vent/cloaca for reproductive organs to determine gender. Like, in chickens you apply pressure to squeeze out the droppings, and then gape the vent open to look inside for the presence of a phallus, a little nubbin inside the opening.

"Ventral" is an anatomical descriptor word meaning the underside/"belly" of a body. Like in humans or dogs, for example, the ventral plane(surface) is our chest/bellies. Our dorsal plane is our backs. On a fish, a dorsal fin is on the back, and a ventral fin is on the belly.

Make sense?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
A vent is the common name for a cloaca, which is the body opening in reptiles (including birds) that is for passing nitrogenous waste (pee), fecal waste (poop), and also for reproductive functions (e.g. where eggs come out of). So when you "vent sex" a reptile/bird, you're using a method to investigate the vent/cloaca for reproductive organs to determine gender. Like, in chickens you apply pressure to squeeze out the droppings, and then gape the vent open to look inside for the presence of a phallus, a little nubbin.

"Ventral" is an anatomical descriptor word meaning the underside/"belly" of a body. Like in humans or dogs, for example, the ventral plane(surface) is our chest/bellies. Our dorsal plane is our backs. On a fish, a dorsal fin is on the back, and a ventral fin is on the belly.

Make sense?
Yes, thanks for clearing that up.