T. Stirmi bad molt resulted in death

Exhaling Wilcox

Arachnopeon
Hello, so yesterday morning my 1.5" T. Stirmi sling started to molt and I checked again later that evening, and i saw one leg and palp were stuck in the molt, while maybe only three, or four actually made it out successfully, so I put her in an icu cup overnight and she passed this morning.

My biggest concern is: I cannot locate a T. Stirmi for under $150 where I'm from. I've also heard that it's not uncommon a A. Versicolor to just die as slings, as I've lost two of those. I would love another T Stirmi, but not if they keep dying on me on for roughly $180 with shipping for one spider.

Thanks!

edit: pic is the sling for more detail

Attachments

Last edited:

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
Hello, so yesterday morning my 1.5" T. Stirmi sling started to molt and I checked again later that evening, and i saw one leg and palp were stuck in the molt, while maybe only three, or four actually made it out successfully, so I put her in an icu cup overnight and she passed this morning.

My biggest concern is: I cannot locate a T. Stirmi for under $150 where I'm from. I've also heard that it's not uncommon a A. Versicolor to just die as slings, as I've lost two of those. I would love another T Stirmi, but not if they keep dying on me on for roughly $180 with shipping for one spider.

Thanks!

Could you post a pic of your enclosure? If your losing c versi's and a t stirmi it sounds like your having trouble with high humidity sp's.

I can't say that I'll be able to tell you what went wrong but it would definitely help determine the cause. As well as be informative, for me at least, in terms of what to avoid.

I'm sure the more experienced keepers will be able to chime in. Pics always help.

On a side note, I've been able to raise a versi sling so far without issues and just had a fresh molt, personally I like to use an enclosure that's a bit too big to provide temperature and humidity gradients, the T will go to where it's comfortable, which should give you a clue a clue as to what needs to be adjusted.

That's versis, minutes after she flipped over.

DISCLAIMER: This can make feeding a bit more difficult/hands on, you would need to make sure the T found its food lol, but my collection is small so i don't mind.

Attachments

Last edited:

Exhaling Wilcox

Arachnopeon
My bad, it's now the caribena(?) versicolor, correct?

There's the enclosure. I'm not sure if you can see, but it was cross ventilated. I use a 150w black light 24" above along with a ceramic humidifier, because they're in my basement. it keeps them at 76°-80°F.

I'm wondering maybe it was too hot and dry, considering no more than ten seconds after i put her in the icu cup she really started fighting.

I really like your idea of a bigger enclosure, I will definitely be switching most of them over!

Attachments

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
heat lamps will DEFINITELY dry out your enclosures very quickly, i think this is a universal consensus, but if you MUST heat you T's its best to use a space heater. You want to control your ambient temperature rather than just focus on a small enclosure like that, it creates hot spots.

Another note, i know a lot of people keep T's on vermiculite, but i like to mix is with coco fiber and top soil, the soil makes for a bit better footing for the tarantula, and the coco fiber absorbs the water well, and a trick i use is to watch the coco fiber discolor ( the more moist it is, the darker, and it gets a much lighter brown as it dries). Load up the bottom with very moist cocofiber/vermiculite mix, and layer drier (but still moist) sub mix over that.

Iv also taken to adding some living plants to my larger T's, specially that sp's that need higher humidity, they help keep up humidity, and really, if your plant (pothos in my case) dies, then your probably either too hot or too dry. But please, take this all with a grain of salt, im only reporting my personal experiences with my T's.

, this is a link to Tom Morran's T. stirmi husbandry video, they are always very informative.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hello, so yesterday morning my 1.5" T. Stirmi sling started to molt and I checked again later that evening, and i saw one leg and palp were stuck in the molt, while maybe only three, or four actually made it out successfully, so I put her in an icu cup overnight and she passed this morning
Never ever mess with a molting spider, moving it around during this period is the worst thing you can do. Putting it in the ICU whilst it's attempting to molt is likely what caused it's death. ICUs are almost always unnecessary and are only used as a last ditch effort to save severely dehydrated specimens. Molting Ts should never be put in an ICU...

In the picture your T.stirmi had clearly managed to free it's carapace and chelicerae, this means it likely would have survived even though a few legs were stuck in the molt. Tarantulas have the ability to self amputate limbs, it would have lost those legs and regrown them fine had you not interfered.

Thanks!

I would be more concerned with mastering your husbandry and doing more research to prevent any further mistakes. Heat lamps really? This is a prime example of why people shouldn't go buying advanced species when they clearly aren't well versed on what they are doing.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Do a lot of research before getting another t stirmi. I copied someone's husbandry and enclosure when I first got a mine. There are plenty of members keeping them that would be glad to answer any questions you may have. I would suggest a disclaimer that you want advice from members with actual experience in raising theraphosa successfully, otherwise the gang will all chime in.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^op I have a healthy t stirmi, so I can offer you firsthand advice---not something im parroting from questionable sources. Feel free to pm if you want setup specifics etc. Maybe make your enclosure and get a plan THEN get another.

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
^^^op I have a healthy t stirmi, so I can offer you firsthand advice---not something im parroting from questionable sources. Feel free to pm if you want setup specifics etc. Maybe make your enclosure and get a plan THEN get another.
Would you mind clarifying who was parroting information from questionable sources? What part of the information or source was questionable? This seems like a defamatory statement in a thread with no negative posts besides yours.

It would be nice if instead of withholding information and putting down others that bothered to contribute, maybe you could even share your wealth "firsthand experience" with the rest of us! As far as i understood, these forums are for discourse and the sharing information to further the hobby, if i have posted incorrect information please PLEASE tell me, not just for the OP's sake but mine and anyone else who reads this thread in the future.... Or... just keep it to yourself lol.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^Relax, friend.
You're reading far too much into those posts. I'm not going to hijack the thread, but will answer any questions this guy may have to avoid killing another expensive tarantula.

boina

Lady of the mites
As to the versicolor: They don't need high humidity, they only need access to water. Usually they do a lot better in a dry enclosure with just a water bowl, meaning they won't die.

cold blood

Staff member
My bad, it's now the caribena(?) versicolor, correct?

There's the enclosure. I'm not sure if you can see, but it was cross ventilated. I use a 150w black light 24" above along with a ceramic humidifier, because they're in my basement. it keeps them at 76°-80°F.

I'm wondering maybe it was too hot and dry, considering no more than ten seconds after i put her in the icu cup she really started fighting.

I really like your idea of a bigger enclosure, I will definitely be switching most of them over!
Versicolor are not in the least bit difficult to raise...probably the hardiest of the avic related spiders....they eat well and grow quickly.

Your set up was the issue. I would never use just vermiculite, it simply is too good at holding moisture, and with a versicolor, you want it dry with a water dish. You also want (and this goes for avics in general) a larger flatter piece of vertical wood, not only to use as a base, but a hunting and stretching platform. From there the middle to top of the wood should be surrounded with plants, providing as many anchor points as yuou can. Your enclosure was just way too barren, and with the verm, likely too damp....nothing kills and avic or its relatives faster than damp conditions.