T Rehousing

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Just wondering, after reading about the trials and tribulations of rehousing, especially delights like the OBTs.

Has anyone given thought to an isolation chamber like used in labs and hospitals?

For example, the Iso-Hyperal chamber I built for a hospital:

Think a heavy plexiglas box, about 2 1/2 feet long, 18 inches front to back, and 18 inches tall at the back, 12 inches tall at the front. The top is heavy plate glass mounted at an angle for ease of access, hinged at the back.

The plexiglas is 1/2 inch thick, the glass top about that as well and weighs about 20 to 30 pounds. A groove is cut in the plexiglas where the top closes which is filled with silicone to give a hermetic seal.

In the front at the bottom are two 5 inch holes through which heavy nitrile or equivalent gloves stick through into the box. These gloves can be a little hard to come by as they are 18 inches from fingertip to gauntlet. Essentially long enough to reach anywhere within the box. They are installed in the holes with a rigid ring that goes inside them, sandwiching them tightly against the plexiglas.

And that pretty much is that. The size can be altered as desired, the gloves can be oversized so a second pair of gloves can be worn inside them for additional protection. The lid as mentioned is very heavy and normally needs no help staying shut but a latch could be attached as desired.

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
I actually use a full 99L tub. I have a 4"x4" hole cut into the top so I can still use my hands during transfers. Gives the tarantula room to bolt if wanted, but time for me to cover the hole so no escape. Using another smaller enclosure to cover the hole also in case it finds it, then it can be caught and easily transferred. I've not had any trouble with it, and I only use it for my fast, defensive species. So minus the gloves, kinda the same? Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I actually use a full 99L tub. I have a 4"x4" hole cut into the top so I can still use my hands during transfers. Gives the tarantula room to bolt if wanted, but time for me to cover the hole so no escape. Using another smaller enclosure to cover the hole also in case it finds it, then it can be caught and easily transferred. I've not had any trouble with it, and I only use it for my fast, defensive species. So minus the gloves, kinda the same? Lol.

I don't get "It's bite is more lethal than a Diamondback Rattlesnake." part of your signature. Pterinochilus murinus aren't lethal, nor potentially lethal.. even if, granted, their venom is very powerful.
You mean, maybe.. "more painful" ?

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
I don't get "It's bite is more lethal than a Diamondback Rattlesnake." part of your signature. Pterinochilus murinus aren't lethal, nor potentially lethal.. even if, granted, their venom is very powerul.
You mean, maybe.. "more painful" ?
No, it's a quote from one of my old coworkers. He's obviously misinformed, and I thought it was hilarious. He had not known I owned 30+ tarantulas, and he has an OBT, because it's "awesome and vicious." Was just another ill informed newbie trying to explain.

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No, it's a quote from one of my old coworkers. He's obviously misinformed, and I thought it was hilarious. He had not known I owned 30+ tarantulas, and he has an OBT, because it's "awesome and vicious." Was just another ill informed newbie trying to explain.

I have no trouble believing this sadly. I've been told cobalt blue tarantulas make great first tarantulas since their bite isn't worse than a bee sting.

While an isolation chamber might be convenient I think space would be an issue for me. I've developed my own way of getting fast arboreals from point A to point B over the years.

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
I have no trouble believing this sadly. I've been told cobalt blue tarantulas make great first tarantulas since their bite isn't worse than a bee sting.

While an isolation chamber might be convenient I think space would be an issue for me. I've developed my own way of getting fast arboreals from point A to point B over the years.
Yeah, I've heard my share of ridiculous information. I've acquired my way solely out of safety of the tarantulas and my other animals. My husband and I hit a rough patch and have had to temporarily move into my grandparents house. There's 5 cats and 3 dogs here. So out of "fear" of an escape, I've tried to have a full proof method. It's worked so far, so I'm happy with it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, I've heard my share of ridiculous information. I've acquired my way solely out of safety of the tarantulas and my other animals. My husband and I hit a rough patch and have had to temporarily move into my grandparents house. There's 5 cats and 3 dogs here. So out of "fear" of an escape, I've tried to have a full proof method. It's worked so far, so I'm happy with it.

Oh, ah ah. Got that. Sorry for that, i didn't know. There's those folks out there who are highly misinformed and love to exagerate things :)

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
Oh, ah ah. Got that. Sorry for that, i didn't know. There's those folks out there who are highly misinformed and love to exagerate things :)
No worries! I understand, we see it way too often. These animals don't get the respect they deserve because they are wrongly feared. People going around saying things like that only spreads it. I'll have to look into how I have my signature worded so in the future it is not mistaken :p

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
There was a guy who made one a long while back, too long for me to remember the thread. Honestly though, they aren't necessary. Easiest way to move an OBT? Old enclosure into new enclosure, open the old, it'll move. No stress, no risk of bite or escape.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I forgot to answer The Snark thread :)

I re-house(d) (now she's as adult, is in her final enclosure so no need for a further rehouse, just husbandry) her always when she was in pre-molt :)

She was always into that "very annoyed" mode instead of "bite in your face", or like when she watch me (because she watch me) cleaning her fangs, with drops of venom.

Seriously... they are cheap T's. Easy to breed. Always (at least here in Europe, but i assume worldwide) available. Hardy, very easy to care. They adapt well and fast. But that's all, lol :-O

They deserve their fame. OBT IMO is an eight legged legend, no place for errors. I'm not scared... but damn if i respect those. Haplopelma lividum is a joke, compared.

The Snark

Old Timer
I suppose a massive affair like I described is unnecessary, at least for Ts. Now, if you were an H Venetoria breeder tired of flying spiders getting in your hair... :eek:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It sounds like a great design, certainly much more foolproof than the methods I use =P Would the materials be difficult to obtain and would it be hard to construct?

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Easiest way to move an OBT? Old enclosure into new enclosure, open the old, it'll move. No stress, no risk of bite or escape.
I do this 100% of the time when possible without exception. It's better for the spider and it's better for me.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I suppose a massive affair like I described is unnecessary, at least for Ts. Now, if you were an H Venetoria breeder tired of flying spiders getting in your hair... :eek:
I stick to tradition. "Big" enough (i hate too little ones) plastic container, and a piece of solid cardboard under and then depends by the T. With a NW, 99% no problems. With an OW careful mode "on", with OBT a mix between a Tibetan monk and MacGyver.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
It sounds like a great design, certainly much more foolproof than the methods I use =P Would the materials be difficult to obtain and would it be hard to construct?
That would be the problem. It could be modified to use thinner materials which are more available and it wouldn't need to be airtight. A piano type hinge the entire length of the glass lid for plenty of surface for the glue to grip is ideal. Otherwise, it's just a sturdy box you can see into from all directions. Thick plexiglas is a joy to work with. Much easier than the thin stuff. The box I made I designed around the heavy plate glass which was originally the top of a small coffee table. Use a fly cutter on a drill press to make the holes for the gloves.
Hint: Making the holes, first make a 4 inch cut then the final 5 inch. This gives you a sturdy ring to mount the gloves with. If desired, use double stick tape of whatever required thickness to keep the ring firmly held to the glove and the glove firm to the surrounding hole.

Last edited:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
But who here wouldn't love their house overrun by Heteropoda? XD

The Snark

Old Timer
But who here wouldn't love their house overrun by Heteropoda? XD
Memories of a small flood of juvenile Venetorias coming in under the living room door, I'm holding an irate cat deprived of the entertainment of a lifetime in either hand and dashing up the stairs I try to get the door to the porch open to toss them out. Ever try to turn a doorknob with your forehead?