T. plumipes breeding question.

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a mature male T. plumipes and a thought to be juvenile T. plumipes. Their cages are next to each other and the juvenile was drumming to the mature male. Does that mean the juvenile is a female that is ready to breed? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just don't want to take any risks. This would be my first breeding project so I don't want to screw anything up.

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is this really that stupid of a question? C'mon, someone?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I've had juveniles drum before (for example my now mature female G. pulchripes drummed on occasion when she was around 2-3" DLS and was nowhere near ready to breed at that size). I wouldn't use that as your basis alone as to whether you have a female ready to breed. To know if you have a female that's ready you want to check the molt, and make sure the spermathecae are sclerotized (fully formed).

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
What size is your "juvie"? A female T. plumipes is mature at 2.5". ;) Get a vent pic.

These were produced by a friend's 2.75" T. plumipes. :D

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is a solid 3" DLS. If it is was a male it would be a big one. Would a male drum for a male?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
It is a solid 3" DLS. If it is was a male it would be a big one. Would a male drum for a male?
Yes, it is possible but I would hazard a guess you have a lady. Also 3" would not be a juvie when it comes to Tapinauchenius. ;)

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The plumipes we sent off on a loan was a solid 3.75.And as Chad mentioned Tap's are sexually mature at VERY small sizes,and grow like WEEDS.Heck we have 4 inch female T.gigas from our first sack that was laid of them,one year ago this month.That is FAST.

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the answers everybody. I think I'll try and pair them tonight after I take a look at the possible female ventrally.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GL,the pairings are pretty straight forward,but can happen pretty quickly so keep your eyes open.We observed no aggression towards the male during/post mating.

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
GL,the pairings are pretty straight forward,but can happen pretty quickly so keep your eyes open.We observed no aggression towards the male during/post mating.
That is good to know. Do you think that this species would be good with cohabitation?

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would try and do an introduction after I confirm the following:

1. the juvenile T.plumipes is indeed a sure female
2. the size of the juvenile is at 80% that of the MM

then again, its just me. Others may not do the same.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I always supervised the pairings,as I like to do 3 pairings per female if possible.Since these guys are fast,I would keep an eye on them just in case there is any aggression.I do however know of people that have keep them communally with no issues.