T molting in water dish.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My friend called me today saying her G. pulchripes was on its back in its water dish, which had water in it(go figure).

Anyway, she didn't want it molting in there with the possiblity of drowning, and asked me what to do. I told her to very very very gently and quickly just move it out onto the substrate.

What do you think of this advice? If not good, what should be done instead?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My friend called me today saying her G. pulchripes was on its back in its water dish, which had water in it(go figure).

Anyway, she didn't want it molting in there with the possiblity of drowning, and asked me what to do. I told her to very very very gently and quickly just move it out onto the substrate.

What do you think of this advice? If not good, what should be done instead?
Take a turkey baster and suck the water out of the dish. That woulda been my first thought on what to do. I've never tried moving a spider that has already flipped...it might be fine but you never know.

I wonder why the spider decided to molt in the water dish in the first place?

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I noticed a few times that a couple of my Ts will either silk up or put webbed up coco in the dish and the water will wick out and soak the sub strait around the bowl and just lay on it for a few days before a molt. im guessing so they can molt easier or the humidity is to low for them.. just a thought.

Joe has the rite idea with the turkey baster, never touch a spider that is in the molting stage :embarrassed:

Placeboani2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree with the humidity quote. Ive heard (Don't know if its true) That tarantulas will moult near or in their water bowl if the humidity isnt high enough for them.
I think the T must of known what it was doing, Aslong as the T isnt submerged in water, i should of thought it would of been fine aslong as you kept your eye on it.
Draining the waterbowl could have possibly been the best option.

I hope the T does fine tho! Let us know how it went.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not uncommon, and def. because they need additional humidity. In 3 yrs of owning this gal, she has molted in her bowl twice, and this yr she molted next to her bowl where I had moistened a spot for her.

Love this pic, will whip it out whenever appropriate:}

PIG-

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Take a turkey baster and suck the water out of the dish. That woulda been my first thought on what to do. I've never tried moving a spider that has already flipped...it might be fine but you never know.

I wonder why the spider decided to molt in the water dish in the first place?
Thats indeed the best and the quickest idea.

I totally thing that if a spider goes to molt into the water dish it has to do with humidity purposes.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
don't think there's really a worry for drowning. there's probably not that much water, it's probably not that deep, the spider is not going to be totally submerged, and the book lungs would be facing up during a molt anyway.

it is interesting that some choose to do this. sucking water out sounds like a good idea.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My thoughts exactly about the book lungs facing upwards.

That picture is awesome!!

I never would have thought about sucking the water out.. or would I have? I don't know... I never would have thought about a T trying to molt in its water dish lol

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i kinda wonder if the whole "drowning" concept is like when people think they're tarantulas are going to suffocate b/c they didn't poke holes in the shipping container :rolleyes:

ever seen a gigas go underwater? i'm sure the same general thing applies to other species, but there's some crazy air pockets going on around the spider.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well she said she moved the spider in one quick, fluid motion. Now for the weird part: after she did that, it flipped back upright and didn't molt! Now she's not sure if a molt is on the way or not. Just to be safe, she misted the substrate slightly so it doesn't wander back into the dish.

ghordy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well she said she moved the spider in one quick, fluid motion. Now for the weird part: after she did that, it flipped back upright and didn't molt! Now she's not sure if a molt is on the way or not. Just to be safe, she misted the substrate slightly so it doesn't wander back into the dish.
Moltus Interruptus?

I think she should have left it alone.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Uh oh.... That's actually not so weird. The T obviously needed to molt. But by disturbing it, it now feels too threatened to try again right away. If possible, she should maybe move the entire enclosure into a closet or somewhere else that is dark and where the T will not be disturbed for a few days.

There's a great lesson to be had here (about not bothering molting tarantulas)...and hopefully for your friend and her T, it will not turn into a fatality. Good luck!