T is MAD!

mokiloshi

Arachnopeon
Hey, I have a Chilean rose hair. When i bought it a week ago, it was very friendly and easy to handle (place hand in front if him and tap is abdomen).
but latley he is so aggresive when i touch him he spins quickly and looks like he is ready to attack. on the weekend there was allot a bass from the music, but i figured he would be calm by now. I also started feeding him a bit less because in the tarantula keepers guide it says it only needs 4 -5 crickets bi weekly (I was feeding him 3 every other day) does anyone know why he is like this or how i can calm him down?

Thanks.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As mentioned, there can be lots of reasons why it is less tolerant of being bothered than before. Tarantulas in general are not pets that should be handled regularly. The best advise is to respect what your tarantula is telling you. At this moment it is saying leave me alone. Best to listen.

mokiloshi

Arachnopeon
well

Well i figured the bass startled it, but it's been 4 days since then so I doubt thats it. i'm going to feed it more and hopefully that calms him

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
mokiloshi said:
Well i figured the bass startled it, but it's been 4 days since then so I doubt thats it. i'm going to feed it more and hopefully that calms him
There is no need to feed it more. I typically feed once every week or two and all of my tarantulas (close to 60 at the moment) are doing quite well. Again, if you are looking for a pet you can handle all the time, I suggest finding something different. I wouldn't force the issue with your G. rosea as it is possible that you will get bitten, your tarantula will get injured or both.

With respect to handling, I generally don't do it but I am not opposed to the idea either. However, I will never force a tarantula that is unwilling. IF you try and it is not receptive, leave it alone. Also, G. roseas are known for erratic behavior. So, it is not unusual for one to be calm one day and agitated the next.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
There is no need to feed it more. I typically feed once every week or two and all of my tarantulas (close to 60 at the moment) are doing quite well. Again, if you are looking for a pet you can handle all the time, I suggest finding something different. I wouldn't force the issue with your G. rosea as it is possible that you will get bitten, your tarantula will get injured or both.

With respect to handling, I generally don't do it but I am not opposed to the idea either. However, I will never force a tarantula that is unwilling. IF you try and it is not receptive, leave it alone. Also, G. roseas are known for erratic behavior. So, it is not unusual for one to be calm one day and agitated the next.

I agree with Windchaser. Do not force a T that is unwilling.

I feed my Ts about 2 or 3 crickets a week, and they are just fine.

-Matty

Whiskeypunk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It could easily be the combination of the Bass and stress of feeding it/disturbing it too much. Remember that your tarantula prefers to be left alone. A tarantula is much happier eating once a week and being ignored for the rest of the week, then being disturbed on a regular basis.

Try not opening its cage for a 5 days. Let it chill out and get used to it's surroundings and maybe it won't feel the need to defend itself.

Also, try feeding it 6-8 crickets a month. This works well for many of us.

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you given him/her a retreat? A little security never hurt. And just to be sure.....the cage isn't "lighted" is it?
It's like any relationship....lovey dovey at first.....turn on you just when you get comfortable.
Everyone else has pretty much stated that G.rosea are unpredictable, (as is any T)..................I second, third, and fourth that;)

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It could be any of the reasons that have already been stated. If you purchased the animal from a pet store I'd say that it was probably under fed and borderline dehydrated which is why it initially appeared to be so docile. The primary reason that G. rosea is a popular pet store species is that it is inexpensive, available in large numbers(at the moment), and its "bullet proof"(capable of surviving long periods of neglect). You started feeding it and now its in a more physically sound condition. You are probably stressing it a out by poking and prodding at it because its "new" so its reacting by being defensive. If you want to calm it down then leave it alone for a week or more and only disturb it to fill up its water dish if necessary. It might continue to act this way for the entire time it is in your care or until it dies.

bigo85

Arachnopeon
well i had the same experience but my G.Rose was the same friendly and i even let my kid brother use it for show and tell. This was one of my first T that i got back in 97 or so but once it full muture it started to get agressive and defensive so know i feed it and leave it alone so i would suggest the same, feed it and forget about it.

omar

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
no loud bass/vibrations around your inverts...their primary input sensory is sensing vibrations. They can feel vibrations that you can not and if the bass is loud enough it may be the equivalent of sensory overload in which they will try to hide from it. I would suggest removing the T from the room if you want to play music at a loud enough volume to vibrate.

My T's usually get a bit more defensive in premolt, and in combination with a new environment that could very well explain it's defensiveness. But as was mentioned...Rosies are not necessarily the best beginner species even though they are very popular and easy to find.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
As mentioned, there can be lots of reasons why it is less tolerant of being bothered than before. Tarantulas in general are not pets that should be handled regularly. The best advise is to respect what your tarantula is telling you. At this moment it is saying leave me alone. Best to listen.
really nothing to add on that. You have to respect your pet.